PDA

View Full Version : need info--2215B--2220 cone? possible FS/T

ignophile
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
hi everyone--been reading this site off and on for the past few years, thanks for all the great info and comments!
I finally registered today to ask your collective opinion on a recent find...went to see a guy about a guitar speaker, and ended up buying several speakers from him on a lark, since he seemed to take care of his stuff and it was a good deal for both of us.
one box had a 2215B in it that is a bit of a mystery...
in good condition, I played a little bass through it, a decent clear sound, but not as good as the 2206 I use for bass guitar. no problems noticed, no rub, etc. it looks like a recone. smooth cone with a surround like an instrument speaker, not foam. reads @5.3 ohms, not 16 as expected. back of cone has 2220 stamped in white ink.
my question is this--if this 2215B has been reconed @8 ohms with this 2220 cone, has it become a completely different speaker, with a different ideal usage? what exactly do I have here?

speakerdave
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
. . . . my question is this--if this 2215B has been reconed @8 ohms with this 2220 cone, has it become a completely different speaker, with a different ideal usage? what exactly do I have here?

You have exactly what you described.

If you like the sound of it with your bass, then you can use it the way it is. I would not expect the cone to stand up to a lot of heavy use, though, since it is a lightweight cone intended for hi fi and bass-shy PA.

Both the 2220 and 2215 frames are unique unto themselves and there are no other cone kits that can appropriately be installed in them. What you have is what is often referred to here as a Frankenwoofer. It's performance is unpredictable.

I doubt that the cone geometries are the same. The 2220 voice coil is made to match the depth of the gap for maximum efficiency. It is therefore a cone meant for low excursion. The 2215 voice coil is of minimum height so that even on maximum excursion it is wholly within the 2215 frame gap. To enable this feature of the design the voice coil gap in the 2215 is much deeper than most. Consequently, the voice coil on the 2220 kit could possibly be totally within the gap as it sits, but is unlikely to be centered. Therefore it could be that it will partially extend out of the gap on one direction of its excursion and not in the other, resulting in an asymmetrical movement. The driver is likely useless for hifi, but as I said above, if you like what it does for your bass, go ahead and use it. Personally, at a distance, I can't see how it would have any punch, but maybe it will work, after a fashion.

Probably the waste of a good cone kit.

--'til edgewound punches in . . . .

ignophile
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks speakerdave. I was afraid of that. I'm not going to mess around with it, since I already have a 2206 for bass, and I mostly play guitar anyway. I appreciate the info.