PDA

View Full Version : Evoi.net and Evo Mixer

etacarinadotnet
04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi, I just picked up an Evo 16 channel JBL mixer with the 2 wireless units and the Evoi.net unit built in. So far the board and wireless units seem to work fine and I like the FX and sound clarity better than my Mackie CFX16. What I want to know is if the Evoi.net unit has any function without the matching Evo speakers. I did not receive the RTA mic with the unit so I can't plug it in to see if the unit will power up. If it is useless, can I take it out and have a rack space available? If I separate the components, is there any siding on the board under the full side pieces? Are there any rack wings that would work for it?

Thanks for any help.

boputnam
04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
What I want to know is if the Evoi.net unit has any function without the matching Evo speakers.If you are not using the EVOi.324 speakers, it seems not. What are you using for speakers?

If it is useless, can I take it out and have a rack space available? It is not useless, but you are not using it, so you could remove it.

If I separate the components, is there any siding on the board under the full side pieces? Are there any rack wings that would work for it? This part I did not understand. Try again...?

Lemme take a stab at what I think you are asking: No, there is no "siding" (as in wood) under the cheeks. I would not recommend trying to tap any holes through the console casing:
things can be tight inside and you might nick something.
you might slip and drill deeper than intended. That would suck.
you will almost surely lose loose metal shavings into the case. That too, would suck.

If you want a rack-mountable 19" mixer, you should consider moving up the food chain a little - get some real toys. It looks to me like that EVO thingy is the Soundcraft FX16ii (http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=150) in disguise. The FX16ii has a few more bells and whistles and is made to be sold separately (versus dismantling a system and hoping for the best). And, the FX16ii is rack-mountable.

etacarinadotnet
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Bo, thanks for your reply.

As far as speakers, I use a Mackie 806M as power amp. Most gigs I can handle with just the 806, but every once in a while we have 10 or 11 players and I need at least 16 channels. I generally run the Mackie into a pair of Yamaha 12" wedges, plus monitors.

I am aware that the JBL board is basically the Soundcraft FX16. I got the whole unit with the 2 wireless mics for $200, so it was a deal I couldn't pass up. My Mackie CFX16 is ok, but something distorts in the channels when I push it a little, and I don't like the FX so I thought I would replace it with the JBL. I had some friends for a session last night and they thought it sounded great. It has a very clean sound, better than my Mackie, but I attribute most of that to the age and heavier use on the Mackie. Since we do a number of festivals and events where we support an emcee or dance instructor, the wireless mics will come in very handy. I managed to get them both tuned in and they sound fine, tho the switches on the handheld are poorly laid out.

I am wondering if the EVOi.net unit is functional at all without the evo speakers. I would like to try the EQ and feedback controls if possible.

As far as the side panels: The side panels are about 18" high. I was wondering if I removed them if there would be another side panel on just the mixer, but probably not. I was thinking I could disassemble the mixer so I could transport it in my mixer case, and rack the wireless units. The issue is that the whole unit is the size of a cash register, not highly portable. However, I would only use it once every month or 2 so it is not a big deal. If there are no sides on just the mixer unit, I could concievably cut the 18" side panel so it just covers the mixer. Another option would be to remove the EVOi.net unit (assuming it is unusable) and put a preamp/compressor in that space. I haven't tried to take it apart yet, but it seems that there may not be normal rack ears to attach to. And there is a plastic faceplate for the wireless units and the evoinet. I really need to take a few minutes to see how it is held together, but I haven't yet.

Any other insight is appreciated. Mostly I would like to know if I can utilize any of the functions of the EVOi.net.

Regards,
West

boputnam
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
My Mackie CFX16 is ok, but something distorts in the channels when I push it a little...Uh, yeah - it's a Mackie! :p

I am wondering if the EVOi.net unit is functional at all without the evo speakers. I would like to try the EQ and feedback controls if possible.You know West, I don't know for sure, but it occurs to me it will "work", but we need to define that.

The EVOi.net is designed specifically for those stock speakers - so, anything it does it is doing with those in-mind. That said, if it is of any use as an autoEQ'er, it would have some effect on any speakers, so long as you connect it properly and use a suitable measurement mic. That said, listen carefully to the result. Me? I hate anything autoEQ but it may work for your needs.

etacarinadotnet
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Bo, yeah you are right those functions are probably more trouble than help. It sounds good without it and there is plenty of EQ control. I will check it out more in the next week and let you know what I find.

West