PDA

View Full Version : help configuring SMS-1 w/my system

opimax
04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a 7.2 system. The .2 is a Velodyne SPL1200r and a B460 powered by a bridged Adcom gfa 555(600watt). I am looking for suggestions on connecting and configuring a Velodyne SMS-1 to run the bass. I am currently running 3 250ti accross the front, the main passive bi-amped w/2 300watt Perreaux amps and the center run by a a bridged Perreaux 400 watt amp the 4 suurounds are 120ti run by the reciever's internal Sony amp(100 to 200 depending on who you believe)

I can run the velodyne 1200 from 40 hz down by setting its XO at 40 and the leave it off the SMS and run the b460 from 40 to whatever by setting the subsonic filter, creating a 6 way system withe 4 way 250??? or I can run the 2 sub together off the SMS but they would play the same frequencies or what othe choices?

And then how to configure the system. The 1200 r has its own set up program playing a sweep with its mic and self eq program and then use the eq w/the SMS on top of that? could cause an excessive boost is I run the 2nd option...

Back to the final 4 and drinking(no driving tonight) and no more posting til tomorrow I think...:blah::blah::blah:

Thanks

Mark

Mr. Widget
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I would set the Velodyne's internal crossover to 40hz as you suggest and set it's amp gain to a level that approximately matches the B460 with it's amp and feed both from the SMS-1. This will allow the SMS-1 to correct any room mode issues and will allow the B460 to predominately cover the upper sub range with the Velodyne helping at the lowest notes...

You may want to play around with room placement. Each time move one or both woofers you will need to redo the SMS-1 bit.

Widget

opimax
04-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I think I should wait until tomorrow but..

Your suggestion is a hybrid? a natural roll off of the b460 and the and crossing the velo over at 40 ? this would have a duplication of some frequencies? Just making sure I understand :) or have the subsonic set @40 but still have the velo sub connected to the SMS I think is what you are suggesting. I can match the volume somewhat with the Rasioshack DB meter. in this case I would use the internal velo sub self eqing program and the SMS wouldn't effect due to the subsonic filter. This would still be a 6 way set up pretty much???

BTW hole already drilled in floor for speaker runs no moving any more :)

Am I understanding you correctly?

thanks for the response

Mark

Mr. Widget
04-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Rule One: Don't even think about 5-way, 6-way, etc... those are phrases best left to the marketing folks. What it is called is of no consequence.

Rule Two: Don't lock yourself into a sub placement before you have heard them... moving them a foot or two can be night and day in terms of sound quality. Sometimes you need to move them from one wall to another... regardless, you want the two subs as far away from each other as possible (opposite walls or corners). Maybe a front and a side wall, or a mid rear and front... you need to experiment to get the sound to be it's best.

Rule Three: Having multiple subs reproducing the same frequencies is better than a single one... this is only true for subs.

OK, yes, I would have the Velodyne sub and the B460 both play via the SMS-1 EQ. Matching levels isn't critical... a Radio Shack meter will be fine. How loud do you intend to play this system and how large is your room. If the room isn't huge or your SPLs are not extreme, I doubt you'll need to limit the VLF signal to the B460.

In any case, I would set up the Velodyne sub without using it's internal EQ and only use the SMS-1, and I would only do that with both woofers being driven.

Widget