PDA

View Full Version : please explain (in easily understood terms) what bi-amping is

Michael MCS
04-04-2009, 09:48 AM
In researching my Altec 1233's I came across the term bi-amped. what does this mean? Are you using an amplifier at the cabinet to boost the signal?

Just a rookie here trying to expand my knowledge base.

Thanks

hjames
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
In researching my Altec 1233's I came across the term bi-amped. what does this mean? Are you using an amplifier at the cabinet to boost the signal?

Just a rookie here trying to expand my knowledge base.

Thanks

The basic idea is to split your full range of frequencies (low through ultra high) into 2 distinct parts - a low only part and everything above those frequencies. You usually do this with an Active crossover at preamp levels - and the 2 outputs go to 2 separate amps, one for the lows (usually connected directly to the woofers), and one just for the higher frequencies. Doing this allows you to select amps that are best for each range.
Usually a higher power amp for the woofers, and higher fidelity amp for the high frequency part of your speakers.

Doing this eliminates certain distortions inherent in passive crossover designs and can provide cleaner bass.

One concern of doing this is to use low noise active crossovers, as adding cheap active crossovers with noisy gain defeats the point of trying to eliminate the distortions of passive crossovers.

Thats a very plain and simple take on it, but I hope it helps!

Earl K
04-04-2009, 10:27 AM
,,,the term bi-amped. what does this mean?
- Here's Wikipedia(s)' take (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-amping) on the term .

>< cheers

boputnam
04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
...bi-amped. what does this mean? And, it doesn't stop there. In SR (sound reinforcement) we are typically tri-amped, stereo. That's a whole lot of extra gear, but parsing the signal out that way lessens the load on each individual amplifier and each speaker element.

This also allows for greater control on the gain balance between the different band passes and allows for using digital delay to time-align the elements, resulting in a more coherent, balanced wave form for the audience.