PDA

View Full Version : 2420's

lpd
05-27-2004, 11:14 PM
One of my 2420 horns keeps cutting out, and when I crank the L-pad it cracks back open and will work fine for awhile and then cut out again. I'm certain it is the horn and not the crossover/l-pad as I swapped drivers and the problem moved from cab to cab. I have a pair of 2410's and LE-175's. Can I swap these into a 4333 or should I repair the driver.

I was considering taking a diaphram from teh 2410 and putting it in the 2420 is this possible?

Thanks

P.s I tried to take the driver apart the last time I pulled them from the cab, and removed the bolts from the horn but could not seperate the two. Are they bound together by an adhesive or a thread, or do I just need to use brute force?

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't like the term "brute force" as these are delicate instruments, but they can get stuck with age. Try twisting the back cap or slipping a thin blade between the body and cap. I would avoid any tapping or other sharp blows to the driver.

The diaphragm for the LE175 and the LE85/2420 are the same. When replacing a diaphragm you should run a swept test tone to make sure you have the diaphragm properly centered. (These 1.75" diaphragms are a little less tricky than the large 4" ones.)

Good luck!

Widget

lpd
05-28-2004, 11:54 AM
I've decided to swap the diaphrams from the 2410's into my 2420's, but to have it professionally done as I don't want to wreck anything.

Peter

ngccglp
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi Peter,

You need not detached the horn from the compression driver. I noticed there is a gasket that sealed the connection. All required repairs will probably in the compression driver. You can access the diaphragm by removing the four bolts at the back of the 2420. The last time I opened mine, the connections inside were all rusty and the foam has disintegrated. Your problem could very well be the connections.

The JBL D16R2425 is manufactured to quite good tolerance and fit firmly into the three guiding studs on the 2420. This eliminated the need to centre the diaphragm.

David