PDA

View Full Version : rcf l18 851

dj jason
03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
hi evey one . i have a old rcf l 18 851 . been trying to find info on it and had no luck . i made a cab for it not sure if right size . but any way the speaker does not sound clear when playing the v/c does not rub . but does not sound good . could it be just worn out . i have a recone kit for it but hate to recone speaker if i don t have to . not sure whats wrong with it . i have to run the gain way up on my crown amp and push it had to get it playing to sound ok then there is alot of cone movment . the bass is ok but not clear at all . i hope this makes sence ty

hjames
03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
howa bout U post a pix so we can see wot U R talking bout?

Mebbe front and beck view - mebbe label - hokay?

hi evey one . i have a old rcf l 18 851 . been trying to find info on it and had no luck . i made a cab for it not sure if right size . but any way the speaker does not sound clear when playing the v/c does not rub . but does not sound good . could it be just worn out . i have a recone kit for it but hate to recone speaker if i don t have to . not sure whats wrong with it . i have to run the gain way up on my crown amp and push it had to get it playing to sound ok then there is alot of cone movment . the bass is ok but not clear at all . i hope this makes sence ty

dj jason
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
hi its just a 18" speaker

MikeBrewster77
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, we know that - though from the problems you've described it sounds like it's actually just an 18" paper weight.

I believe Heather was trying to get you to post pictures so the forum members could help you diagnose the issue. Phrases like "does not sound good" and "does not sound clear" don't really give enough information for anyone to be able to help you out.

So, unless you can provide a bit more information or pictures, then I guess as the saying goes, "chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help..." :p

Best,
- Mike

hi its just a 18" speaker

Earl K
03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi

i have a old rcf l 18 851 .

- That model has a short voice coil ( xmax is stated as 4.5mm ) & has a fairly lightweight cone ( mms = 128 grams ) . It also has a pretty high Fs ( free air resonance ) for a woofer that size ( it's around 39 hz ) .
- These parameters make it best suited to act as a bass horn-driver .

- In a standard Bass Reflex (BR ) enclosure, it'll never produce the thundering bass that DJs are typically after ( no matter how you slice it ) .

- IMO, sell it & put the proceeds towards buying a more modern subwoofer ( with a large Xmax figure / 9mm or more, heavy cone, low Fs such as 30 hz or lower , a stronger motor , etc. ) .

Sorry for the :( bad news .

Allanvh5150
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM
The RCF 18/851 although a capable driver it was never designed for sub bass. The ideal enclosure size for the driver is around 140L tuned to 44Hz. In the wrong box it will flop about until the cows come home.

Allan.

dj jason
03-28-2009, 08:42 PM
ok ty for the info on it . the cone looked bad someone spray painted it so i reconed it just because i never done it before . and it was easy . i got the speaker off of ebay for little of nothing . just something to fool around with . and the cab is way to small so it was just floping around lol.

dj jason
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
here it is after recone looks better now i just need the right size cab for it thank you all again on the info