PDA

View Full Version : Blown woofer ?

RIGGED
03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
How can you tell when a woofer is blown?
A while back I cranked up my LX55 speaks and one started to make a rattlin noise. Upon closer inspection, the foam came loose from the paper.
I have owned Cerwin Vegas (notorious foam rotters) in the past and foam or not, they did not make this rattlin noise.

Thoughts?

RIGGED

Allanvh5150
03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Once the foam has gone the cone can flop back and forth in the gap. The noise you are hearing is probably the voice coil hitting the sides of the gap. If the speaker still operates at low volume it should still be ok. If so, stop using them and get them refoamed!

Allan.

clubman
03-28-2009, 08:15 PM
The term "blown speaker" gets thrown around very loosely. I allways say if it still has sound comeing from the coil its not blown. Blown in my opinion means the coil has opened and the speaker is completely dead. But just because a speaker is still playing doesnt mean its not damaged and needs a recone. There are many ways to damage a driver...DC burn from cliping..over excursion..ect..

Sounds like you just need a refoam job. But a local repair shop could know for sure. If you continue to play a speaker with no foam surround you will damage the coil. There is no suspension for the cone and the coil just flops around and bangs into the motor assembley. And can pop out of the gap very easily.

RIGGED
03-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks fellas, I'll go the refoam route first.

RIGGED