PDA

View Full Version : Altec 604-8G's ....now in my living room!

shaansloan
03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Well,
Here is the latest addition to my collection....I just about broke my back carrying these dudes inside and up the stairs. The effort was well worth it and the sheer weight is a good reason for them to sit for a long time in the living room....fortunately my wife thinks they are really cool and thats because she is really cool! :D

So I am trying to learn all I can about these bad boys....according to Bill at Great Plains these are Model 17.....the drivers are 604-8G's.....it is obvious to me that they are entirely original. The cabinets are I beleive 9/10 and the drivers and crossovers appear to be in pristine condition. The compound has hardly seeped down ever so slightly.....The grills are also in rather good condition, just a bit dirty....I have played many varied types of music through them using my Yamaha RX-V870/Carver M1.5 combo and they are just astounding....please offer any additional info....

I have them positioned next to my L300's(which they dwarf by the way)....and they run with the L300's very competitively. Of course they have a different character of sound but noticeably of the same quality.

I have been told by rgwalker that with some modifications these can really improve....can some of you Altec gurus point me in the right direction on these modifications?

thanks for your comments.... Shaan

JBLRaiser
03-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Now you need a vintage SS power amp for the bottom, 6SN7 based tube preamp and an EL34 or EL84 based tube amp for the top....Bi-Amped. That should do it. They were made for tubes. High sensitivity.

mike
03-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Very nice. I don't think those are an easy pair of speakers to come by. I used to have a pair of the 604-8G drivers years ago but never got to hear them in propper cabinets. The 604 based systems have always been a favorite of tube fanatics and collectors.

Mike

shaansloan
03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Well,
Here is the latest addition to my collection....I have been told by rgwalker that with some modifications these can really improve....can some of you Altec gurus point me in the right direction on these modifications?

thanks for your comments.... Shaan A few more pics....

TnTn
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow, you have some very fine speakers. How's the bass on the Model 17 compare to the L300? I would think that the bass of the 17 does not go as low nor does it sound as good as the L300.

alonsoescudero
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow!! What a pair of beautiful speakers! Hope someday mine look as beatiful as these with natural vener. these are 8 ohm right?

With my 605B I tried a crossover project from jeff markwart, I think he has one for your speaker. If you donīt change the crossover, at least update the same with new components. this will make a big diference.

Also check the right amp for yours, this where speakers from 1970īs so maybe a vintage solid state amp would work fine, donīt let the tube option out you will be amazed how these two units will work together.

shaansloan
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow, you have some very fine speakers. How's the bass on the Model 17 compare to the L300? I would think that the bass of the 17 does not go as low nor does it sound as good as the L300.

Well I would agree that the bass on the L300's seems to be a bit more complete and probably reaches a lower frequency as well(a bit lower anyway)....but the Altec bass is nothing to smirk at, it is very nice and warm.....it has a different character, I am not good at articulating the difference in sound, I can hear it with my ears but just can't quite put it into words....either way....these 604's are amazing! :coolness:

Several have said that modifications to the crossovers will reap fine results....can anyone reccomend their favorite option here?

shaansloan
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Wow!! What a pair of beautiful speakers! Hope someday mine look as beatiful as these with natural vener. these are 8 ohm right?

With my 605B I tried a crossover project from jeff markwart, I think he has one for your speaker. If you donīt change the crossover, at least update the same with new components. this will make a big diference.

Also check the right amp for yours, this where speakers from 1970īs so maybe a vintage solid state amp would work fine, donīt let the tube option out you will be amazed how these two units will work together.

Thanks alonsoescudero....I will look into these crossover options....

better
04-01-2009, 03:20 AM
it's very nice pair:)

can you give me the size of the box...

thanks ezra

UreiCollector
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Well,
Here is the latest addition to my collection....

...fortunately my wife thinks they are really cool and thats because she is really cool! :D

Congrats on a great catch! I grew up on the 604G in the 620 cabinet......that is a fabulous sounding monitor! The horns look small to me after staring at the Urei's for so many years, it's funny.

Enjoy them, and kudos on landing a wifey that appreciates them! You've won twice!

shaansloan
04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
it's very nice pair:)

can you give me the size of the box... thanks ezra

Ezra, from the Altec library here on the site....16.5D X 24.75W X 35.5H

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1974-enc-design/page24.jpg

Shaan

oface1
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
"Ezra, from the Altec library here on the site....16.5D X 24.75W X 35.5H"

Close, but they are a little larger than that:
40"H x 26"W x 18"D

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/cabinets/620A%20Speaker%20Cabinet.pdf

Nice find BTW,,

Later,

-chris

JANDG
04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I ran my DIY 45 SET thru a pair of these in a much smaller box @ a AK fest a week ago & I was stunned. Large room & the sweet sounds suprised me & definately caught me off gaurd. I now know exactly what I need to do. Those are a beutifull pair you have & should be stunning with good tube amp. They will through a 3d image behind a great tuber that will amaze.
Joe

rgwalker
05-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Well,
Here is the latest addition to my collection....I just about broke my back carrying these dudes inside and up the stairs. The effort was well worth it and the sheer weight is a good reason for them to sit for a long time in the living room....fortunately my wife thinks they are really cool and thats because she is really cool! :D

I have been told by rgwalker that with some modifications these can really improve....can some of you Altec gurus point me in the right direction on these modifications?

thanks for your comments.... Shaan

Shaan: I don't know how I missed this and I apologize but perhaps it's appropriate because I just got some empty cabinets a few weeks ago and put together a pair of 620As with my 604-8Gs and some GPA 8 ohm 604 crossovers that I bought last year. They have a stunning bottom end that kills the stock 620A and that's hard for me to admit because the 620A was my main and favorite speaker for several years.

A few months ago I put together some slightly modified Jeff Markwart crossovers for some 604Es in Barzilay cabinets (photo) and it's sick they're so good. I haven't tried them with the 620As but that would be interesting.

It may be too late and I'll be interested to hear what you've done and how it turned out but if you want the drawing and parts list for the JM crossovers let me know. If they work as well with the 604-8Gs as they do with the 604Es you'll be very pleased. The GPAs don't have any control but are very good and at $90.00 each are about 2/3 the cost of the parts for the JMs.

Bob W
[email protected]

shaansloan
05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
It may be too late and I'll be interested to hear what you've done and how it turned out but if you want the drawing and parts list for the JM crossovers let me know. If they work as well with the 604-8Gs as they do with the 604Es you'll be very pleased. The GPAs don't have any control but are very good and at $90.00 each are about 2/3 the cost of the parts for the JMs. Bob W [email protected]

Hey Bob, well the only thing I have done is sit back and enjoy the music. My wife and I are diggin these :beach: Haven't done any mods, but I sure have enjoyed these 604-8G's....they are super sweet. I run them with my Carver M1.5 and use them as my main fronts, with JBL L101's in the rear. Its a two-way dream! I brought those big Altecs up into my living room a year ago and perched them next to my L300's.... and they haven't moved since...I have them on a little switch box so I can switch back and forth with just a flip.... can't decide which are better. :dont-know: But the good thing is I dont have to for now, so I am just enjoying them... what a privilege to have these! :)

The Altecs really shine when it comes to brass and strings, especially piano....cool Jazz and vocal stuff is just stunning. I have some 605A's from 1962 in 4 cu ft cabs in the other room....they are also very impressive....they ain't going nowhere.... these Altec duplex drivers are just fabulous! they have a very warm unique character of their own. Somethinbg about that sound all comming from the same port hole....its hard to describe, but easy to enjoy!

Of course the L300's just perform like a dream with just about anything... :cool:

Blessings to you! Shaan