PDA

View Full Version : Alter amps - why?

robertbartsch
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I have seen many pictures of systems here and else where with amps that are displayed on the floor - out front and center - apparently as iconic show pieces.

These are usually older small powered tube amps, I beleive. Most are displayed nude - without covers and their large electronic components such as massive transformers, large caps and such are exposed for all to see.

Anyway, I was wondering why this is apparently now a trend and how all this got started. I used to own some tube equipment in the olden days and I remember how much heat they generated. Is this frontal display of nudity an attempt to dissapate heat?

Personally, I don't have anything against this trend but I am just trying to learn more.

BMWCCA
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I used to own some tube equipment in the olden days and I remember how much heat they generated. Is this frontal display of nudity an attempt to dissapate heat? More likely to be a potential Bonfire of the Vanities. ;)

Or, maybe, just an honest attempt to keep warm?

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./sexnuderedo.jpg

Allanvh5150
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Seems a bit daft to me. An amp with 300B's or 211's caould have upwards of 1300 volts lurking just under the glass envelope of the tubes. Not the safest thing to have sitting on the floor in your listening room. And the fact of course that only great tube amplifiers come "rack ready". But I suppose if they are out in the open everyone can see your hideously expensive cables as well........:blink:

Allan.