PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 scale 828 A7 cabinets

Cal Weldon
05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi, new to this forum.

I have heard about a scaled down version of the A7. I have a 4" woofer and a small horn I want to put into a small 828 lookalike box. I am only mildly concerned about the sound. These are just for fun, I have enough speakers, including the real 828 and 210 [A4] cabinets. You can see the 210's in the background of the photo

This is the exiting system I tried with those small aluminum enclosures. I think I can do better.

Thanks for your help in locating the small boxes,

Cal

Mr. Widget
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Now that sounds like fun.:cool:

I'll make you pair of perfectly scaled A-7s including "Voice of the Theater" graphics on the sides if you want. I could even scale the 511B horn if you like. It only takes time and money. If interested send me a PM.

Widget

Cal Weldon
05-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks Mr Widget,

Yes I will send you a PM to discuss this further.

First will this woofer fit the box? I'm thinking about the depth of it.
4.5" woofer (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-431)

I think the tweeter I have will work for now, I haven't seen one that works that well as a lookalike but the sound of the one in the pic is OK.

Cal

GordonW
05-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Man, what you need for a tweeter, is one of those little multi-cellular Jensen tweeters, such as the one that went into the SG-222 coaxial Jensen speaker from the 1960s. Yeah, it's only a "6-cell" design... but really, it's the right size AND it's multicellular!

Here's a pic from an old Jensen catalog, that I swiped from a kind soul that posted it up on the AudioKarma board earlier this week. Check out the SG-222 pic!

GordonW
05-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey, another idea just popped to mind...

A square-front box, with TWO of the 4.5" woofers mounted side-by-side, and one of your existing small bi-radial horns above one of them, per box... miniature JBL 4435???? :D

Man, that's tempting to build. I've got a whole bunch of extra 4" and 5" drivers...

Regards,
Gordon.

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Here is a drawing of a 12" tall Altec A-7 based on Altec drawing number 825 from 1968. I looked at several A-7 drawings and they do vary a bit from one to another.

This drawing is in 1:3.5 scale. It will accommodate a 4.5" woofer if the woofer depth isn't too great. All dimensions are in inches. If anyone is interested, I can post all of the dimensions. I left many out as they can get fairly dense at this scale.

Widget

sa660
05-27-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by GordonW
Hey, another idea just popped to mind...

A square-front box, with TWO of the 4.5" woofers mounted side-by-side, and one of your existing small bi-radial horns above one of them, per box... miniature JBL 4435???? :D

Man, that's tempting to build. I've got a whole bunch of extra 4" and 5" drivers...

Regards,
Gordon.

Could it the 4612-OK??? :banghead:

:confused: :smthsail:

Cal Weldon
05-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
This drawing is in 1:3.5 scale. It will accommodate a 4.5" woofer if the woofer depth isn't too great. Widget

Hi Widget,

The woofer is 2.5" deep
Scale is 1:3.5
That means the 8.75" actual 828 cabinet depth divided by the 3.5 scale = 2.5 inches clearance from the baffle to the back of the cabinet. This would work but it means the little woofer would be touching the back panel. I wonder if we should think about bumping the panel to accomodate?

Gordon, I like your enthusiasm but I'd like to stick to the 828 type cabinet as these are for show as much as anything else and I already have the parts.

Cal

Cal Weldon
05-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Oh and Gordon,

Yes the multicell coax horns would be great. I was thinking along the lines of a 604 duplex horn or one like you have shown. Those would be ideal.

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
The horn could be shortened a bit to give more breathing room for the woofer. Since we are shrinking a design based on horns and bass reflex and the physics of sound isn't shrinking I imagine these would sound pretty... unusual. I would also be concerned about the wall flexing of the 0.18" plywood cabinet. The original is way under braced but that gives it some of it's... character.

Widget

Cal Weldon
05-27-2004, 04:27 PM
The horn could be shortened a bit to give more breathing room for the woofer.

The horn will be top mounted

[i]I imagine these would sound pretty... unusual. [/B]

Uh ya, I'm athinkin' these are still just for show. Might hook them up in the garage or something

[i]The original is way under braced but that gives it some of it's... character.
Widget [/B]

Character is a very nice way of putting it.

You should hear what they sound like when you update the drivers to some decent PA stuff. The cabinets combined with the cowbells create a sound of their own. Kinda like the wind howling through the trees on a nasty day. Ah well, keeps the girls dancing.

Cal:cheers:

Cal Weldon
05-27-2004, 04:31 PM
I think I would like the scale apply to the inside dimensions. IMHO these should be made from 3/8" or 7/16" - no?

Cal

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
By shortening the "horn", I meant the woofer horn as shown here.

As for material thickness, I would use 3/16" birch plywood available at hobby stores it will have the closest look to the original 5/8" plywood.

Widget

Cal Weldon
05-27-2004, 07:29 PM
By shortening the "horn", I meant the woofer horn as shown here.
Widget

Ah yes, methinks i got it now.

Cal

Wardsweb
05-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Here are some A7 mini from Japan

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Those are cute.

Don has some miniatures as well. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to make some that actually "worked" though.

Widget

Wardsweb
05-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Another from voiceofthetheatre.com
you may recongnize his vintage image on his entry page, as it was taken from my Altec page on Wardsweb.org (he did ask permission first).

Wardsweb
05-27-2004, 08:43 PM
last one and these are fully functional.

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Anyone ever hear one?

Widget

Now that Altec is in the computer speaker business, they should make some like those. I bet they could sell ... OK really only a handful I guess.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
05-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Widget:

I think You have a great idea!, they would look really funny.

Todd W. White
06-03-2004, 07:02 AM
I have seen functioning miniatures of the A2, but not the A7.

However, if anyone wants a set of small version 828H's, I am sure Iconic's cabinet man, who makes beautiful full-size 828H's, could do them.

The one pictured below is from a pair he just built for a guy with 515E's. They're now a deep reddish mahogany, and boy are they lovely!

http://nleinternet.net/alteclansingunofficial/Iconic-828L-RawOak-1A.jpg

Don McRitchie
06-03-2004, 07:15 AM
There seems to be a market segment in Japan just for miniature repro's of classic speakers. I've seen Paragons, A7's, A4's Tannoy Autographs all done as miniatures.

The Altec miniatiures that I have are non functioning wood carvings that were part of a dealer promo. I picked them up on Ebay a few years ago.

Todd W. White
06-03-2004, 07:42 AM
I have a full set of those - they were sold to the Altec dealer (like me) for using in 1/4 architectural models of proposed facilities.

I have an 815 w/ a 805B/288C and 825 w/ a 311-90/288C on top of the Altec 711A receiver that powers the Altec Model 6's in my office.

They're cute - especially the 211 cabinet!