PDA

View Full Version : 2202 as guitar speaker!

maxwedge
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I've been working on all my guitar stuff lately and decided that I didn't like the Celestion V30's I had in my Twin Reverb clone I built. They are way too bright. So I start going through all my K120's and E120's. Their bright too but not as much as the Celestions (IMO). I went through 2 K120's and 4 E120's and their all F'ed up! Either ripped cones, buzzes or just blown, LOL! I thought I remembered I had a few good ones?!:o:

So the only thing left are my 2 2202's that I swaped for new 2206's in my PA about a year ago. Boy was I suprised! No Ice picks and real creamy!!:bouncy: Glad I didn't sell them and they should hold up in my open back Twin.:)

Wish I had known this when I wasn't just a bedroom guitar player!:p

jcrobso
03-24-2009, 01:52 PM
The 2206 don't have the high end that the K/E 120s have, but maybe that's what your looking for.
I have a Line6 and I replaced the Celestron with a E120, I like the sound. Even on the clean setting the Celestron sounded distorted, now the clean is clean!:)
I guess it's time to get the K/Es reconed.:( John

maxwedge
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
The 2206's are in my PA/Stereo and I'm using the 2202's in the guitar amp.
My original plan was to mix 1 each 2202 and K/E120 to knock some highs off but that backfired. I like Celestion distortion but not these V30's.

I have a few spks to get fixed, especially the K's.:crying:

Allanvh5150
03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
The Celestion Vintage 30 was built with overtones in mind. I have use most of the guitar speakers over the years and they each have their own place. E120's are great for super clean country style playing but forget trying to drive them hard. They produce no overtones to speak of and they have a carachteristic "cold" sound. The 2202 starts to rolloff around 3K so they will not generate overtones at all. The response is dead flat though. Although I have used V30's in every thing from Fenders to Mesa'a I have never found them too bright. Maybe you should try them in a closed back cabinet. They are a great all round speaker and they are certainly the widest used guitar speaker on the planet. Tell us more about the style of music you are playing, type of guitar etc?

Allan.

maxwedge
03-25-2009, 05:35 AM
61 Gibson SG juniors, a VOS LP Special plus a few others that I don't play as often. I guess I'm after a Stevie Ray Von type of sound. I mostly play hard rock and blues.
You wouldn't think the 2202's would sound right but they do. Must be the combination. The amp is not even stock....blk face Twin clone with a 1960 tone stack and EL34 pwr tubes. It's a monster so I need a pair of speakers in there that can handle it so I chose the V30's.

The V30's may be better in a closed box but I just don't have room for another cabinet right now.