PDA

View Full Version : sound deadener, liquid application

Steve
03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Aloha

I was looking into doing some sound deadening on my car and also for some of the horns I have.
I found this on the net, a liquid called Body Armour
http://www.fatmat.com/liquid/gallon.html
Anybody have any experience with this?
Cleans up with water.

In my searching on the site, I didn't find this product mentioned.

Maui Steve

jeenie67
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Hola. I've used "Thinset" concrete/floor tile adhesive on aluminum horns to dampen the ringing. Spilled some on the side of the truck one day and could never chisel it off. Auto undercoat spray works good for cabinetry if you let it cure completely outside for a week or so. Slap some insul on it when wet. Sticks forever. :coolness:

Beowulf57
03-21-2009, 05:23 AM
I've also used the gray door/window insulation putty sold in hardware stores. This doesn't harden or dry out and does a nice job of deadening ringing...

jeenie67
03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
...This might not be the proper place to post this, but I'm contemplating forming two dipole speaker units out of extreme tensile strength high density concrete. I have time to play at university as I proctor construction classes (be around as a safety guardsman and to answer ?'s or offer suggestions on techniques, methods, etc). I say units because they're not cabinets or boxes.
I got the idea reading Stereo Review's (no derogatory comments please!) equipment report, Feb. '09, on the Jamo Reference R 907's. I like the qualities this type of speaker exhibits and is a quick and cheap, for me, research project (also adding to the student's education in special applications; they are tested on concrete properties within the small forms they pour). I just want to check it out. I'm always seeking a natural..? ..sound stage. Room acoustics, reflection, and absorption are areas I've been playing with, constructing, and adjusting for years now as I do not own any tone or EQ controls....I do not want any! What was recorded..I want reproduced in my living room.
I've attached my first idea sketch..hey why not!...One reason why this forum is so productive to it's members and guests! :idea:

16hz lover
03-22-2009, 08:32 AM
This stuff will deaden about any surface...Damplifier. Tap on the surface and its a thud....no ringing whatsoever.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/