PDA

View Full Version : Measuring crossovers.

Don C
05-25-2004, 09:57 PM
I have been wanting to learn what exactly is the difference between the XPL200 and the XPL200A crossovers. I heve a set of each, and I can use the best one. I wanted to show some results and ask if I am doing the measurements correctly. I set up a function generator to drive the crossover. I hooked up a pair of paralell 12 ohm resistors to each driver output for a six ohm load. Eight resistors total, they were all left in place for all of the testing. I used them because that's what I could find easily. I used two identical HP digital multimeters, set to AC volts function. One measured the level at the crossover input, the other was moved to all of the different speaker leads to measure the output. I set the meter to display Dbm. The input level was set to -10Dbm for each frequency, and the levels shown are the difference in Db between the input and the output. I don't know if I should have done that, maybe just recording AC volts in and out would have been better?
Anyway, I recorded the data in Excel, and made the chart below. Blue is XPL200, Red is XPL200A I can not figure out how to make the top of the graph show the frequency yet. How does this look? Is this the correct method to measure these?

4313B
05-26-2004, 03:41 AM
Hi Don,

You're creating a voltage drive. Here's the Standard Test Fixture (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/Standard%20Test%20Fixture.pdf).

In Excel set your x-axis to log scale.

Guido
05-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Giskard how do I set my x-axis to log scale.

My excel shows that the x axis is a rubric axis and dont show a checkbos for log scale.

I have no clue how to set it to a value axis :(

4313B
05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Maybe that has to do with the chart type you have selected. I usually use this chart type:

Once you get a chart built you can right click on the x-axis or y-axis and set various properties.

Guido
05-26-2004, 01:54 PM
YEP :bouncy:

Don C
05-26-2004, 05:57 PM
OK, I seem to be getting the hang of it, thanks.