PDA

View Full Version : tarfilled 4 bolt 1005b w/ 183-294 on throat

Audioghandi
03-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi to all,
My first post and finally registered here...i have a really old tarfilled altec 1005b, but it's a 4 bolt pattern, and the brass throat has 183-294 cast into it... i was wondering if this is an early jbl or WE throat on a tar filled 1005b... the throat looks native to the horn...anyone have any info... thanks
AG

Goodwill_HiFi
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I've heard Altec made some of the later Manta Ray's with 4 bolt patterns, although I'm a bit confused as to why, since I don't think they had any 4 bolt drivers...... unless the person telling me was confusing some EV horns with Altec....... are you sure all 4 holes are original? Many times people will drill more holes to fit what they want.

grumpy
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't believe there were any tar-filled Mantaray horns... :blink:
This is a very specific question. A picture might help those who
can identify such things. IIRC, the side that attaches to the horn
is not a generic interface.

Steve Schell
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with grumpy, pictures would really help here. By "four bolt pattern", do you mean the attachment of throat to horn or driver to throat?

Goodwill_HiFi
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't believe there were any tar-filled Mantaray horns... :blink:

That's not what I meant to suggest.....merely repeating the only time I've ever heard of a 4 bolt Altec horn.

With a little brazing and a tar filled Manatray wouldn't be too difficult with one of the early metal versions..... a few ribs on the outside and a outer skin..... take it on down to the local flat roof shop and filler-up! :bouncy:

grumpy
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
... didn't figure... was just well-intended ribbing/humor. :)

MI-9448
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
It's a W.E. horn. The 594 driver that should have been on it was four bolt.If you look it over good and compare it with JBL stuff the bolt holes are a touch smaller and possibly on a slightly smaller circle.

MI-9448
03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Seem to remember something about an Altec 294 prototype that I either saw pictures of on this forum or on the dreaded e-bay but it did exist.Maybe thats what the 294 on the horn refers to.There are probably some out there somewhere as the stuff that turns up is simply amazing.Thats why I'm here!!! Don't forget,Altec is what W.E. became so there are some strong ties here!

emilar
12-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Firstly a tar filled 1005B is just a 1005. The four bolt holes exhibited on the 183-294 throat adapter is also present on the Altec 32A horn that has a 2" entry and has the same bolt circle diameter as the WE 594A. These four holes can also accept a 27A adapter. So what is the mysterious driver made by Altec that has a 2" throat and a four stud mount on a BCD of 3-3/8"?:banghead: Why, the Altec 594B of course!:applaud:

The Altec 594B driver is described in a 1966 issue of the AES journal in an article entitled "Development of a Horn Type Moving Coil Driver Unit". This relatively unknown driver was an alnico version of the WE field coil unit. It was the first driver to use an elastomer compliance for suspending the aluminum diaphragm in order to guard against fatigue and failure in high power use. This non-resonant compliance also reduced distortion. This model of driver was manufactured in limited quantity and sold to the government for high power acoustic testing in facilities such as White Sands.

The development program for this driver was headed by John Hilliard and the design and prototyping was undertaken by Jonas Renkus. This relates to the use of elastomer compliances on early Emilar and Renkus-Heinz diaphragms.