PDA

View Full Version : Altec 808-8B 16 Ohm voice coil sought

Krischu
03-16-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm seeking for a voice coil/diaphragm for a Altec 808-8B treble driver.
The one I have has an 8 Ohm VC and I would like to match it to my Leslie tube amp (16 Ohms). Could anyone sell one to me or name a source?

Earl K
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Altec 808-8B 16 Ohm voice coil sought
I'm seeking for a voice coil/diaphragm for a Altec 808-8B treble driver.
The one I have has an 8 Ohm VC and I would like to match it to my Leslie tube amp (16 Ohms). Could anyone sell one to me or name a source?

If you find that the 8 ohm diaphragmed driver is too loud, stick an 8 ohm resistor in front of the driver ( this will pad the level down some and help match the amplifiers output impedance better ) .

><

Zilch
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Great Plains Audio is the source for current production Altec replacement diaphragms.

Also, the Radian 1228 aftermarket diaphragm for Altec drivers is available in 16 Ohms.

speakerdave
03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not so sure. If he's using the original on the other side, current replacements will not match it.

Earl K
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not so sure. If he's using the original on the other side, current replacements will not match it.

- I think that Krischu is just running a mono Leslie here and is most concerned about an impedance match to the Leslie tube amp. That's my take on this .

- Personally, I'd put in a phenolic diaphragmed driver ( for the extra durability ) / ie; a JBL-2461 or JBL-2470 .
- Mind you, this Altec is what he appears to have on hand .

><

Zilch
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm not so sure. If he's using the original on the other side, current replacements will not match it.In what respect? The lead attachment? GPA sells the conversion kit, also. Radian as well, probably.

No Simbiotik anymore, but GPA makes a Pascalite equivalent for high-power installations:

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/parts.html

speakerdave
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
. . . . No Simbiotik anymore . . . . [/URL]

Yeah.

Krischu
03-17-2009, 02:37 AM
- I think that Krischu is just running a mono Leslie here and is most concerned about an impedance match to the Leslie tube amp. That's my take on this .

- Personally, I'd put in a phenolic diaphragmed driver ( for the extra durability ) / ie; a JBL-2461 or JBL-2470 .
- Mind you, this Altec is what he appears to have on hand .

><

Thanks to all so far. I was concerned about both, impedance matching the tube amp (passive crossover) and secondly, when that driver is connected to the Leslie 760 transistor amp, it would cause an overload of the output stage plus an overemphasizing of the highs.

Krischu
03-17-2009, 03:02 AM
In what respect? The lead attachment? GPA sells the conversion kit, also. Radian as well, probably.

No Simbiotik anymore, but GPA makes a Pascalite equivalent for high-power installations:

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/parts.html

I can find the term "Pascalite" on several parts on their parts page but not associated with the 808-16A.

Zilch
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Simbiotik diaphragms, a hybrid with a Kapton surround, as I recall, are no longer available.

The Radian diaphragms are similar hybrids.

GPA offers Pascalite, a different alloy than the standard aluminum, for use in high-power applications, instead.... :yes: