PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Kardon Turntable with a Rabco arm...

jeenie67
03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
....he I go again! Anyone have any knowledge of this combination? I bought it so cheap, a ST-5 for $50. I took it out of the box and plugged it in. It plays nice! As cool as can be! Talk about a plug n' play...it's not what the ad said, about needing some oddball belt and this do-hicky and that ......or my what my mother said either! Another one will sit on the the research shelf till summer vacation. That's when I'll rip her open and play! Have a safe week, Jeenie. :nutz:

MikeBrewster77
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Jeenie:

Congratulations on your new addition!

The model you're talking about came "out of the box" with the tonearm and table mated from the factory through an H/K partnership with Rabco. While not a separates combination, you have the benefit of factory mounting/balancing/adjusting, etc., that are not inherently incorporated into components you might assemble yourself.

As a tangential tracking model, it may seem that there's not much to set up, and that your new purchase is a plug and play model. Truth be told, there are quite a few more adjustments to a linear tracking table than most might initially realize. I'd recommend that if you simply purchased the model and started playing it straight off, you download the owners manual and check to ensure all requisite configuration steps have been performed. You can find the manual at: http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/ST5om.pdf (http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/ST5om.pdf).

Oh, and P.S., the belts and "do-hicky's" are extremely important on these types of tables. The seller may have been right, and if your mother emphasized it also ... well, let's just say always trust mom's advice!

Best of luck with your new component, and I look forward to hearing your listening notes.

Best,
- Mike

jeenie67
03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi. Thank you. I just printed the owners manual and technical manual. It's a good thing that I have access to a full array of machinist's precision measuring instruments, lasers, and electronic calibration instruments. I perform work/study at a technical college while I attend another university full time days at 54 years old. Who says your too old to go back to school? I'm having the time of my life!
I do not have time yet to analyze this sweetheart, but I'm playing the unit most everyday through my vintage Columbia mono/ synthesized stereo mini console. I just ordered a new cartridge for it, an Ortofon Red. I figured a low mass etc. cartridge would be a good start. Later the cartridge will find it's way to one of many turntables I collect.
From the 1920's Gramophone and Victrola I have restored through the 50's and 60's portable record players, into the 70's B&O 2400, and finally a mega modified Music Hall MF-5. I like this unit! It's workable!
Again, thank you for your reply. Jeenie.
:wave:

MikeBrewster77
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Tangential tracking ain't as simple as you might think....

It might be time to get out the fancy laser equipment for this one: The stylus tip should match the center of the spindle holding the disc - granted I may have over-rotated this picture, but if not, then you might want to re-align your set-up.

I wish you all the best with your new equipment!

Regards,
- Mike