PDA

View Full Version : 4425s at yard sale today....comments please

doodlebug
05-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Relatively new to the forum, here, but have been building up my tube-based systems in the last year. While I don't normally lurk around weekend yard sales, I stumbled across a set of 4425s today for $30.

I've done the research to know what I've got and have already ordered refoam kits from Rick in Tampa this evening.

What I would appreciate here is comments from others as any other improvements that can or need to be made while I have the woofers out of the cabinet.

Specifically, I'm refering to any xover improvements, capacitor replacements, wiring improvements, etc.

Also, are these monitors designed to be placed on their side - as in the horn and woofer are horizontal?

I'm really stoked with these and *may* get rid of the B&W CDM monitors I have now if these work out with my Mac tube system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, the posts on refoaming steps are excellent! Thanks to those who took to time to document it - will save me from a botched effort.

Cheers,

David

Robh3606
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Hello David

Nice score!!! The cabinets are supposed to be set-up in a vertical orientation. I have seen them used on their sides but I would look at the spec sheet to see what the horn is doing in the vertical axis before. I would live with them a little while before you do any changes.

Rob:)

doodlebug
05-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I have installed new foam surrounds and the woofers are just fine, now. Looks like I'll be keeping them for a while. Right now, they're set up in place of my Quad ESL 988s.

I think I'll just let them cook for a while before making any decisions.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

David