PDA

View Full Version : JBL XPL 200 & crossover

hhopson
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
While in the military stationed on Okinawa I was able to pick up a pair of JBL XPL 200 speakers for next to nothing when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in 1991. The Air force closed Clark and shipped a considerable amount of audio equipment to Okinawa where a large sale took place. I was able to acquire the XPL 200s along with the crossover. I was uncertain as to exactly what I had purchased and the speakers have been stored virtually the entire time. I recently had the woofers overhauled and hooked them up. They seem to work perfectly. My questions are these: (1) is it possible to get a copy of the instructions for the crossover, how exactly to hook it up to the speakers, anywhere? (2) I also own a pair of JBL 4430 studio monitors and two pair of JBL 4425 studio monitors that I've been listening to all these years. How was the XPL 200 rated as a speaker?

Right now I have the XPL 200 bi-wired. I'm considering Bi-amping them, should I expect better performance when bi-amped? Help!

speakerdave
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
While in the military stationed on Okinawa I was able to pick up a pair of JBL XPL 200 speakers for next to nothing when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in 1991. The Air force closed Clark and shipped a considerable amount of audio equipment to Okinawa where a large sale took place. I was able to acquire the XPL 200s along with the crossover. I was uncertain as to exactly what I had purchased and the speakers have been stored virtually the entire time. I recently had the woofers overhauled and hooked them up. They seem to work perfectly. My questions are these: (1) is it possible to get a copy of the instructions for the crossover, how exactly to hook it up to the speakers, anywhere? (2) I also own a pair of JBL 4430 studio monitors and two pair of JBL 4425 studio monitors that I've been listening to all these years. How was the XPL 200 rated as a speaker?

Right now I have the XPL 200 bi-wired. I'm considering Bi-amping them, should I expect better performance when bi-amped? Help!

You have the DX-1 and the cards?

hhopson
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
You have the DX-1 and the cards?

Hello SpeakerDave, Yes, I do have the DX-1 cross over, however, I must admit I have no earthly idea what the cards are to which you refer, so I guess I don't have them. Could you explain just a little what the cards are and what their purpose is, please. Harvey:(

4313B
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Attached is the Owner's Manual

Unfortunately JBL didn't do a real good job when they created the PDF. :p

hhopson
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Attached is the Owner's Manual

Unfortunately JBL didn't do a real good job when they created the PDF. :p

Dave, thank you profusely for proiding this, anything is better than what I had. Judging from a couple of expired threads i've seen, getting my hands on the proper "cards" will be next to impossible. haven't read the pdf yet, but, I'm still confused about what exactly are these "cards" but, that's part of the discovery and education. Again many thanks for all of your help! Kind regards, Harvey

speakerdave
03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Dave, thank you profusely . . . .

That was the other guy.

The DX-1 is the thing (rare and desirable, by the way; you may have already received some offers for it). If it was being used with those speakers, the cards are probably still inside. The cards provide the frequency division AND the response and impedance compensation that drivers usually need to create flat acoustic frequency response. Passive crossovers designed for particular speakers do this, but off-the-shelf active crossovers do not.

If the cards are not already mounted in the unit, I think a search here will bring up a thread about making them that RobH posted some time back. The loads for the XLP200 are also here somewhere, I believe, since one of our Australian members, Pasadena, started a couple of threads about the DX-1 and the XLP200. There are some photos from which you may be able to read the part sizes, and I know he has the cards, although he has not posted for a long time.

Robh3606
03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Hello Harvey

The DX-1 cards are very easy to make and they are probably already inside the crossover. You can have a pair made up in a couple of hours if they are not. The schematic is readilly available as are the values and sources for the componenets. When I did the thread I beleive I added links to several others to pull all the schematics together.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11024&highlight=DX-1

Rob:)

hhopson
03-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Hello Harvey

The DX-1 cards are very easy to make and they are probably already inside the crossover. You can have a pair made up in a couple of hours if they are not. The schematic is readilly available as are the values and sources for the componenets. When I did the thread I beleive I added links to several others to pull all the schematics together.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11024&highlight=DX-1

Rob:)

Thanks much Rob ! Regretfully, I have absolutely no aptitude nor any mechanical/technical ability so there are three chances, I'd ever be able to make cars: slim, fat and none. If the cards are not already mounted I'll simply have to locate them. I have talents in other areas, I'm a fairly decent attorney/judge and if all it takes to locate and acquire the cards is persistence, will power and sheer determination, I'll eventually get them. Now that I have the instructions for the DX-1 I'll hook it up and see how it works. I do have access to a pretty good electronics repair facility that specializes in pro audio gear, I'm sure for a price they would love to make the cards for me. Again, I sincerely thank you for your very useful response. kind regards, Harvey

Titanium Dome
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
If the cards are not already mounted in the unit, I think a search here will bring up a thread about making them that RobH posted some time back. The loads for the XLP200 are also here somewhere, I believe, since one of our Australian members, Pasadena, started a couple of threads about the DX-1 and the XLP200. There are some photos from which you may be able to read the part sizes, and I know he has the cards, although he has not posted for a long time.

I'm still in communication with Mark and could bring him on board if needed.

Titanium Dome
03-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I do have access to a pretty good electronics repair facility that specializes in pro audio gear, I'm sure for a price they would love to make the cards for me.

This is the course I would highly recommend, even if you thought you could do it.

I would agree with the speculation that if the crossovers came with the speakers, the odds are high that the cards are already in there. check that out first. If you're confused, show us some pictures and we'll tell you.

hhopson
03-11-2009, 08:39 AM
This is the course I would highly recommend, even if you thought you could do it.

I would agree with the speculation that if the crossovers came with the speakers, the odds are high that the cards are already in there. check that out first. If you're confused, show us some pictures and we'll tell you.
Hello Titanium Dome, many thanks for the information, I'm loving this site more and more with each response. You guys are great! I'll take a look inside and if what I see "stumps the panel' I'll do as you suggest, take pictures, post and cry help!

spkrman57
04-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Harvey,

Just wondering if you were successfull in accomplishing your goals with the XPL-200's?

Regards, Ron

Hello Titanium Dome, many thanks for the information, I'm loving this site more and more with each response. You guys are great! I'll take a look inside and if what I see "stumps the panel' I'll do as you suggest, take pictures, post and cry help!

hhopson
04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Ron,I'm not the least bit technically adept so I contacted HGC Customer Support and got the answer below. The facility they recommend in Columus is somewhat convenient because my son in law travels between Columbus and Cleveland on business routinely. I've spoken to a company rep that said they can refurbish my DX-1 Crossover.

Hi Harvey,

You can check it in any of our service centers. Listed are service center who can help you with this.

Company Name

Address

City

State

Zip

Phone

Type

MUSIC MAN SOUND COMPANY

3242 NORTH HIGH STREET

COLUMBUS

OH

Approximate distance:
127.84miles (205.73km)

614-263-5301

All

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Zahoor
HCG Customer Support

spkrman57
04-03-2010, 07:11 AM
I stopped there a few years ago and talked to them.

I can't say I can vouch for the place as I've seen reconed drivers that they did and I would not use them for my own purposes.

Good luck with them!

If you happen to be down in Columbus, be sure and let me know ahead of time and you should try and stop down at my place and see my audio toys!

In fact i picked up a pair of 4425's yesterday that are a little rough, but I hope to try them out and fix the dustcap on one of them if that's possible, speaker repairs are not my forte, I usually have someone else do that kind of work.

Regards, Ron