PDA

View Full Version : L100T in New C34 cabinets

John W
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I acquired a pair of L100t speakers a while ago in rather beat up cabinets. Having always liked the C34 cabinets, I decided to build a pair as a new home for the components.

The C34 enclosure is roughly the same size as the L100t, just a little lower to the ground.. About 3 cubic feet, tuned to 38hz.
The cabinets are made from ¾ mdf with a fair amount of internal bracing.

For the feet, I went with these:
http://alphafurnishings.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31 (http://alphafurnishings.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31)

They are close in style to the originals and I am happy with the build quality. They are solid aluminum and roughly the same height as the originals. I think if you really wanted to duplicate the originals, you could have the feet turned down to the original profile at a machine shop, and still save money with starting from scratch. Anyway, I like them fine the way they came.

Just like the L100t, they sound great.

Here are a few pictures of the finished results.

Earl K
03-07-2009, 05:23 PM
John, you are the master / well done !

>< Earl K

saeman
03-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Nice project John. You've been quiet for a while and I was worried that you had tapered off on your cabinet projects. What's next?

John W
03-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks,
A new project always seems to be not too far off, but nothing currently on the drawing board.

grumpy
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice refit! had one eye open after looking at the title, I was expecting the rear loaded horn/scoop and wasn't sure I could imagine how that would go ... C38's perhaps ? Sure looks good! Baffle angled up at all?

Doc Mark
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
HI, John,

As I've come to expect from you, Sir, you did an outstanding job on that project!! Very nice, indeed! Thanks for sharing it with us, and again, congrats on such a fine outcome. I'll bet they sound great, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

spkrman57
03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
It seems you have the touch for woodworking. I admire all the work that you post here in the forum.

Keep it coming!

Regards, Ron

Fred Sanford
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Bravo! Well done, as always.

je

badman
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
There will be significant diffraction components from that surface mounted mid and front edge overhang. Some felt around and about the surface of that (assuming you'll be leaving the grilles on during normal use) would go a long way.

But they look superb. :)

John W
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a good point about diffraction.
I gave it some thought during construction, but decided to compromise and keep with the design.

Often tweeters are flush mounted, woofers are not. With midrange drivers there seems to be more variation. At what frequency does diffraction start to become a problem?

4313B
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
It's a good point about diffraction.
I gave it some thought during construction, but decided to compromise and keep with the design.Yeah, there will be diffraction issues to be sure... but... Honestly? If you don't hear a problem then there isn't one as far as you're concerned. So long as you don't blow something up or start a fire you should be good to go.

Chalk up another really nice project John. :yes:

I think I'll just eBay all my woodworking tools and pay you to build my projects from here on out. :rotfl:
They'd get done alot faster too!

Zilch
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
C38, no?

C34's a horn dealie:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm

Goodwill_HiFi
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, that just nice :applaud:

bigyank
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Very nice project and as always your workmanship is first rate John!

Yank

Mr. Widget
03-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Having always liked the C34 cabinets, I decided to build a pair as a new home for the components.Damn! I almost missed this thread... I guess my eyes see L100T and the brain goes on autopilot and filters it out. They look marvelous as always. I do love that vintage modernist stuff.

I also like the semi-transparent grilles... very cool!

I think I'll just eBay all my woodworking tools and pay you to build my projects from here on out. :rotfl:
They'd get done alot faster too!I know the feeling! :banghead:

Widget

bigyank
11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
John, I am gearing up to create a variant of your build and the one question I have is can you post a pic of your grills? I see you are using velcro and I am still uncertain as to the route I will be going.

Yank

I acquired a pair of L100t speakers a while ago in rather beat up cabinets. Having always liked the C34 cabinets, I decided to build a pair as a new home for the components.

The C34 enclosure is roughly the same size as the L100t, just a little lower to the ground.. About 3 cubic feet, tuned to 38hz.
The cabinets are made from ¾ mdf with a fair amount of internal bracing.

For the feet, I went with these:
http://alphafurnishings.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31 (http://alphafurnishings.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31)

They are close in style to the originals and I am happy with the build quality. They are solid aluminum and roughly the same height as the originals. I think if you really wanted to duplicate the originals, you could have the feet turned down to the original profile at a machine shop, and still save money with starting from scratch. Anyway, I like them fine the way they came.

Just like the L100t, they sound great.

Here are a few pictures of the finished results.

John W
11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't have these around any longer to take a picture of.

The grills were pretty simple, though. Just a simple frame, the minumum depth needed to clear the thickness of the woofers.

bigyank
11-23-2011, 05:42 PM
No problem John. I might really go out on a limb with mine and use 2404H's but would
have liked a reference point. Thanks for getting back to me though