PDA

View Full Version : Building an 044ti

rdgrimes
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Looked for spec sheets but couldn't find any.

Can 035ti parts be swapped into an 044-1 to make a 044ti? In other words do the 044Ti and 035ti use the same diaphragm/magnet assembly?

4313B
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
No.

rdgrimes
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Not exactly a detailed response. ;)

What are the differences?

Earl K
03-03-2009, 11:23 AM
- Edited to fool those pesky yahoo slurp spiders / ( I do believe the info is now out there ) .

<> :)

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Not exactly a detailed response. ;)

What are the differences?

If this could be done, don't you think there would be a thread here already telling how to do it?

What difference does it make what the differences are? It can't be done. Try forgetting about it and find something else to mull over.

Not exactly a detailed response . . . .

Wouldn't it be nonsense to take time to explain why nonsense is nonsense? Try having a little consideration and respect for someone of vastly greater experience and knowledge and maybe a lot more to do than you have.

I'm glad you asked and avoided wasting some perfectly good parts . . . let it go, fergodsakes. But I don't appreciate you presuming on the time and patience of a friend of ours who has already answered your question sufficiently.

You need to read Thomas Kuhn's essay on convergent and divergent thinking. It says the chances of an ignorant person in any complex field coming up with an original and creative idea is practically nil.

Robh3606
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Dave do you read minds??

Rob:)

BMWCCA
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
- Track down Gordon Waters ( ? - spelling ) over at AudioKarma .
Isn't this the same Gordon? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=161
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=161&dateline=1067877136

or: http://www.geocities.com/gordonwaters/

rdgrimes
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
You need to read Thomas Kuhn's essay on convergent and divergent thinking. It says the chances of an ignorant person in any complex field coming up with an original and creative idea is practically nil.
You need to read some books on manners, and get over yourself. But somehow I don't see that happening.

Allanvh5150
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Geeeeez.......here we go again.:blink:

hjames
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
My favorite old phrase to Marketing from back in my engineering days was:

"Well Mr Grimm, I wish we could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Dave do you read minds??

Occasionally, yes.

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
You need to read some books on manners . . . .

I'll look into it. In the meantime, let me tell you that the foundation of manners is understanding the pragmatic of the social situation you are in. Your follow-up question to 4313B (really more like a demand) shows that you do not understand the pragmatic of this forum, or you do and you don't care.

Robh3606
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Let's keep things civil. You asked if it could fit. The answer is no. I had the same thought jump into my head as Dave did. Basically yeah he has nothing better to do than to drop everything he is doing to figure it out. I realize that's probably not what you meant but it was the first thing that popped into my head. That said if he chooses to elaborate that's his choice.

Off the top of my head apples and oranges. The 044ti is mounted like an 066 so it's on a little phenolic board. The 035ti is mounted to a new plastic top plate. I doubt you could even get it off without destroying the diaphram and the VC wires. In addition I beleive the 044ti uses a higher gauss magnet.

Ian Mackenzie
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't it be nonsense to take time to explain why nonsense is nonsense? Try having a little consideration and respect for someone of vastly greater experience and knowledge and maybe a lot more to do than you have.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::offtopic::rotfl::rotf l::wtf:

Yeah well there are those who innocently waste others time and those who deliberately choose to do so based on recent events.

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
OK, so maybe it's not such a practical idea suggesting the reading of essays here. My bad.

It's called "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" and I think is the source of that phrase we all have perhaps heard ad nauseam--"paradigm shift"--and is only tangentially relevant to what was going on here.

The basic idea is that one best spend his time trying to learn everything one can about what has gone into creating the present state of the art before throwing out ideas about going off in a new direction.

The least examination of the two drivers in question would have answered the question.

It is just not right to prevail upon a knowledgable, considerate and helpful person to do things for you that you can do for yourself.

Yeah, this is off topic, but it is not irrelevant to the forum, because knowledgable and helpful people who begin to feel imposed upon have a way of diappearing, which lowers the quality of doings here for all.

So, if my response is a bit overwrought, it will not have the desired effect, and that appears to be the case.

So . . . never mind.

And forget about the two 044ti cores that are on ebay right now, unless you have some NOS kits for them.

rdgrimes
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Off the top of my head apples and oranges. The 044ti is mounted like an 066 so it's on a little phenolic board. The 035ti is mounted to a new plastic top plate. I doubt you could even get it off without destroying the diaphram and the VC wires. In addition I beleive the 044ti uses a higher gauss magnet.

More or less what I thought. But I can't find any relevant tech sheets on both tweeters. My initial interest was in whether the entire diaphragm/magnet assembly could be dropped into an 044ti frame.

Apparently, asking dumb questions is against forum etiquette according to the local speaker gods. I'll try not to make the same mistake again. Thanks for the one helpful response.

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
This is a page of JBL Pro's "Goes into List."

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Goes%20Into%20List/Goes%20Into%20List.pdf

The model numbers in the left column are recone kits. The model numbers in the right column are the model numbers of the driver frames they will work in. Notice the complete lack of any mention of the 044ti frame opposite the 035tia kit.

Allanvh5150
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
My favorite old phrase to Marketing from back in my engineering days was:

"Well Mr Grimm, I wish we could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

The laws of physics are made to be broken. Einstein gave us the theory of relativity, which is totaly bupkiss, and then he made up another called "The Special theory of relativity" to try to explain everything that the main theory couldnt. Not that long ago it was impossible to travel faster than 30mph for fear of suffocation. Then the sound barrier would never be broken..........then it is impossibel to travel faster than light. But as we all know there are particles that travel faster than light. Go figure.:blink:

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
. . . . But as we all know there are particles that travel faster than light . . . .

And backwards in time (Richard Feynman, Quantum Electrodynamics--a readable, non-mathematical description of his work in the 1950's that got him a share in the Nobel Prize), but I'm pretty sure she was referencing the Newtonian world that is sufficient for audio.

Allanvh5150
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
This is a page of JBL Pro's "Goes into List."

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Goes%20Into%20List/Goes%20Into%20List.pdf

The model numbers in the left column are recone kits. The model numbers in the right column are the model numbers of the driver frames they will work in. Notice the complete lack of any mention of the 044ti frame opposite the 035tia kit.

The list isnt exaustive.

C8R2235 $186.00 2230A, 2231A, 2231H, 2234H, 2235H

No mention of 2225 or E140. 2225 is identical and the E140 works but it is a bit of a frankenstein.

Allan.

speakerdave
03-03-2009, 10:57 PM
The list isnt exaustive.

C8R2235 $186.00 2230A, 2231A, 2231H, 2234H, 2235H

No mention of 2225 . . . .

The 2225 still has its own cone available.

Allanvh5150
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
The 2225 still has its own cone available.

But try as I may I find 2235's hard to come by. 2235 kits on the other hand are easy and they are a 2235 in the 2225 frame.:D

hjames
03-04-2009, 04:05 AM
Begging the gentleman's pardon,
and I follow your point quite well,
I referred to marketing weasels I worked for,
and their particular place in hell,

To the esteemed gentleman in this forum ......

"You sir, are no Albert Einstein ..."

The laws of physics are made to be broken. Einstein gave us the theory of relativity, which is totaly bupkiss, and then he made up another called "The Special theory of relativity" to try to explain everything that the main theory couldnt. Not that long ago it was impossible to travel faster than 30mph for fear of suffocation. Then the sound barrier would never be broken..........then it is impossibel to travel faster than light. But as we all know there are particles that travel faster than light. Go figure.:blink:

Allanvh5150
03-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Begging the gentleman's pardon,
and I follow your point quite well,
I referred to marketing weasels I worked for,
and their particular place in hell,

To the esteemed gentleman in this forum ......

"You sir, are no Albert Einstein ..."

Esteemed....yup, Gentleman.....probably not. Einstein has been proven wrong on many an occasion and he will continue to be proven wrong. He wrote the theory of relativity and said it couldnt be broken. Then he wrote the Speacial theory of relativity to break it.....:blink:

1audiohack
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Its pretty easy to look back and be critical.

Science is built upon the bones of dead theories and I believe Theoretical Physics is what you are refering to.

I doubt many of us had an original thought at the age of 25 much less wrote anything aproaching the work of Einstein at that age,,, if ever.

speakerdave
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
. . . . I doubt many of us had an original thought at the age of 25 . . . .

I had Original thoughts long before 25.;)

1audiohack
03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Cool.

As for me I am pretty sure that with all the people that have come before me, that things which are new to me is simply history that I do not know.

No offense meant to anyone.

4313B
05-27-2010, 01:20 PM
044 Ti's..........or Not???? (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28712-044-Ti-s..........or-Not)

If I remember correctly, the 044 and 044Ti use different castings (and the baffles were different) so even if someone removed the diaphragm and coil from an 044Ti mounting pad and glued them to an older 044 mounting pad...

I just don't deal with these drivers on any kind of regular basis anymore. If it's that important to someone then they should just buy a sample of each and note all the similarities and differences. I had samples of all these drivers for years and years and could check everything out as desired but those days are over.

Greg has also mentioned that these various parts are not interchangeable (without modification, my qualifier, not his) and everything I remember seeing makes him right so whatever.

evans224
05-28-2010, 01:45 AM
That thread wore me out. But it was still interesting, some good ideas came of it. Anyway, thanks for answering, and I'll leave it at that.