PDA

View Full Version : E-140 Cabinet

JonFairhurst
05-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I've got a couple E-140 speakers that I'd like to use for bass guitar / keyboard speakers. I have a four string bass, so I don't need deep extension, but for keyboards, it would be nice to go reasonably deep. I want the cabs as small and light as possible for travel, and I will make them separate (for stereo keys) and stackable (for bass).

Looking at the JBL tech sheet, they recommend 4.0 cu ft @ 40 Hz, but the low-end droop is pretty bad. I'm thinking of going with 2.7 cu ft @ 68 Hz. It stays pretty flat, though not so deep, and should have good punch. Two three inch vents should do the trick.

The inner dimensions would be 19.5" x 16.5" x 14.5".

For bass speakers, I'm done. For keys I'd want some high-end. Any recommendations for a high-frequency setup? I tend to play with friends in family rooms, rather than on stage, so I don't need gobs of SPLs. I've been using a Peavey 50W x 2 tube amp bridged through an old EV 12" without problems.

My 4430 replicas do fine at home, but they're way too heavy and precious to haul around town.

Tom Loizeaux
05-21-2004, 06:32 PM
I tried an E140 in a 3.5 cu.ft. cabinet (tuned to around 50Hz) and was disapointed in the lack of low end...but then I'm a fanatic for deep electric bass bottom.
I use a JBL K140 w/ 5" mid in one cabinet and parallel a Gauss 5840 in a 4.5 cu.ft. cabinet (tuned to 40Hz) now as my main bass cabinet set-up. It thumps your chest and cuts each note clearly. I doubt that a pair of E140s in small cabinets will quite do this.

Tom