PDA

View Full Version : first JBLs/Aquaplas

lars-mn
03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have just purchased my first pair of vintage Lancer 44 speakers at an auction for $5. I am really liking the sounds so far! In general they are in really good shape I believe, but I have noticed a very small (stress?) crack in one of the passive speakers. I -believe- it is only in the Aquaplas. The crack is towards the outer edge about an inch or less long and only really noticeable (visibly) with music with more bass.

My questions are:

1) Is this something from a functional standpoint I should worry/take care of right away?

2) If I do need to take of it, what is the preferred method? I have seen posts about white glue and water. Is superglue better and should the speaker be removed before doing this? Should it be applied directly to the front or from the back?

3) I am less concerned about the cosmetics right now, but if I should ever decide to sell these speakers, how does a crack like this factor in their value?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Lars

BMWCCA
03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
:wave:

If I should ever decide to sell these speakers, how does a crack like this factor in their value?

I suspect they are and will always be worth more than your five-dollar investment.

lars-mn
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks, I figured that...:)...I am more concerned about if using these in their current condition would be a bad thing and how specifically I would go about repairing them if I need to right away.

Lars

:wave:

I suspect they are and will always be worth more than your five-dollar investment.

rdgrimes
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Small cracks in the cone edge are usually easily repaired with some surround glue applied to front and back.