PDA

View Full Version : computer speaker help

DanMan
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Why oh why do I keep blowing these computer speaker subwoofers? Could it have anything to do with my blatant need for bass, lol ?!

The JBL main (stereo) computer speakers (Media 200) have lasted me for a decade! But I've blown 3 JBL Media woofer subs in 3 years. They've have different problems, from high-pitched squeals to 20 cycle "clicking" noises to intermittent thumping noises when not in use.

So I just got a brand new computer, thinking it might help.. and it was time. I spend more time here than in front of my 250's. This time I hooked up my 3000 watt velodyne sub (I'm a little bass hungry) and now I have to send IT in for repairs because its making a clicking noise (albeit, that subsides when touching the woofer indicating the active-servo unit is the culprit).

I'd be happy with another JBL media sub, but they are extremely rare these days, and nothing smaller will suffice.

The mains have a subwoofer-out via 1/8" phono, so I think I'm sending a legit signal to the subs.

Any advice, similar stories to be shared, comments, critics, all welcome. Thanks.

Don C
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Dump the computer stuff and switch to regular stereo equipment. I have my sound card plugged into a Marantz 2285B with L20Ts and a Velodyne F1200 sub. It's way more than I really need in the little bedroom with my computer but it's been running for several years and has never needed any attention.

SEAWOLF97
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Agree with Don

my soundcard is plugged into a Technics receiver under the monitor and runs L-26's ( 1 under each of the 2 desks butted together in an "L" shape) and a pair of Sonances hung from the ceiling...sounds fantastic and more bass than I need, plus there is a lot of local control by having the receiver within arms length.

DanMan
02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Is this what y'all use (left image) to connect the computer to the receiver?

I use a double adapter (right image), to send the signal to the computer speakers, and the nutone whole-house intercom system. Could that be effectively decreasing the voltage (or amperage or flux capacity or something), to cause problems with either?

keith141
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Is this what y'all use (left image) to connect the computer to the receiver?

I use a double adapter (right image), to send the signal to the computer speakers, and the nutone whole-house intercom system. Could that be effectively decreasing the voltage (or amperage or flux capacity or something), to cause problems with either?

My computer has an optical outlet so I use toslink cable to connect to the receiver which is 20 feet away from the computer.

Sounds nicer than the computer speakers.:)

Keith

opimax
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
On my 3 systems all have an old laptop on top, 2 use digital coax,the 3rd the analog you posted. They are pretty much dedicated dedicated for Pandora and You tube and such. Some docking stations/port replicators have have better connections for music then the actual laptop.

I have 1 room with Altec computers speakesr because of space so I can iron my shirts and pay bills without filling the house with music and disturbing someone w/little taste (she doesn't read this :) )

I would check for an inexpensive sound card , maybe used at a large auction web site and go that route

Mark