PDA

View Full Version : Another guy who has some D-130F questions

shopeesquire
02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Alright. I'm young, broke and full of projects and love for most vintage electronics. My dad moved into this house and in the garage the previous owner left a fander dual showman. So, being the only musician in the family, i took it and ran. Got it home, cleaned and opened her up to take a look at what i was dealing with. She came with two d-130fs. The top one is in fair shape, with a tear in the dome that buzzes (i fixed with electrical tape as i am broke, but content with the tape to stop the buzz). The bottom speaker is well, unhealthy. It operates, but the surround is toast, cone has been folded and dome is impressively dented. I'd love to have the matching pair working in the showman, but i can't find a reconer or a kit i'm comfortable using.
anyone know of a good reconer in the dayton, ohio area or a good reconing kit (i'm not a hack at anything and do well with my hands)?

BMWCCA
02-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Just curious: How do you get a tear in an aluminum dust cap? Not sure how the "surrounds" are shot, either since on all my D130s the fiber cone just makes folds at the edge and there is no separate surround material per se.

There are plenty of non-JBL re-cone kits available for the D130 and D130F. Just Google it if you want to do it on the cheap and don't much care what you end up with. Otherwise you'll pay a bit more for the real JBL kit. It is available at least, but I'm told they can only be had through authorized repair stations who won't sell them without installing them. There are a few folk on this list who do this for a living. BTW, the dust dome is available as a separate part.

shopeesquire
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I've seen the aftermarket kits all over ebay before, but would prefer a JBL kit. I also can't find a dealer anywhere.

The tear started out as just a dent. i let it be and after a recording i noticed a buzz on the track and thats what it was. right where it had creased, i guess it was enough to crack/tear.

The surrounds are just no longer holding the speaker to the frame. Who knows how long it was just setting in this garage.

BMWCCA
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
JFGI:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/ohio.html

John
02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I've seen the aftermarket kits all over ebay before, but would prefer a JBL kit. I also can't find a dealer anywhere.

The tear started out as just a dent. i let it be and after a recording i noticed a buzz on the track and thats what it was. right where it had creased, i guess it was enough to crack/tear.

The surrounds are just no longer holding the speaker to the frame. Who knows how long it was just setting in this garage.

How bout some pictures?

Also just wondering "do you have a smoke free studio" ;)

jcrobso
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Get the speakers reconed:D! From the other post there are JBL dealers close to you. The Dual Showman with twin D130F is an incredible sounding amp, well worth the cost of the reconed speakers!!!!:applaud: John