PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy ST100

tom1040
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I have an eye on a pair of these for my JBL S2600 speakers. To anyone who has tried these before: are they worth the investment? (+/- $700.00 )

Thanks.

timc
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
If you speakers are otherwise top notch, but only lacks a little bit of HF extension, then yes. I would say they are worth it.

I have played around a bit with the ST200 wich is the same in different cabinet, and i believe it does a good job.

However they are so expensive that in my oppinion they should be considered the iceing on the cake. Everything else should be in place first.

-Tim

tom1040
02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I consider the JBL S2600 top notch-at least for me. I have a bit of a high freq. hearing loss in one ear. I am trying everything possible to decrease that problem. The speakers are really great but do not extend out as much as some.

I guess I will not know until I try, right? Thanks for your comments.

timc
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Very true. You won't know until you try. However, is it wise to mix a dome supertweeter with a horn? I'm thinking dispersion wise.

-Tim

tom1040
02-26-2009, 05:42 AM
I really do not know if it is a wise move. Is there another type of supertweeter that you would recommend? I am new to this.

I was listening last night to my system & it sounded great-to me. I guess that some feel that you can always improve somehow-whether it is changing out amps/preamps/cdp's ect., but all I am looking for is perhaps a tad more HF.

Perhaps I should be happy with what I have, which, in effect, I am.

andywin
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Why not try a pair a 045Ti's? I think they are approx $330 each from Harman in the US and build some simple crossovers.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Perhaps I should be happy with what I have, which, in effect, I am.Always important to keep our perspective...

I've heard the Tannoys used in conjunction with some vintage JBLs and thought they worked quite well. Ultimately I suppose it depends on the importance you place on the last octave.

Widget

tom1040
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Very True, Mr. Widget. However, like I said, I will not know until I try. I have another question concerning Tannoy. Instead of the ST100 has anyone by chance have experience with the ST50? Big difference?

Sorry for my ingorance.

polar_bear_0104
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Very true. You won't know until you try. However, is it wise to mix a dome supertweeter with a horn? I'm thinking dispersion wise.

-Tim

INteresting question, as Im also considering an s3100 being sold to me on a private sale...i have heard about the limited hf issue which i bet will be an issue to me even without hearing the s3100 for a long time(first heard it in 97 but couldnt afford it)..my current speakers have super tweeters in it and I can hear what it does (above 10khz).

I've explored these tannoys too as a possible upgrade path with its built-in crossover settings which will leave the stock s2600/3100 unmodified..

on the question of the dome/horn compatibility...i wonder too...i dont know either and will be interested to find out if there are potential theoretical incompatibilities..

but i reckon since they are used to augment tannoy's prestige series which has some horn loading characterics isnt not, then i guess it's okay?

cheers

timc
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
The Waveguides of the Tannoys have a conical dispersion so they match. The JBL's dont have that...so....im not sure. Im just thinking about what people say when discussin crossover points between woofer/horn. To put it in the place where the horisontal dispersion is equal.

It might not apply to supertweeters. I really don't know :(

-Tim

tom1040
03-10-2009, 05:21 AM
I have not had alot of time listening yet since I am a partner in a CPA firm going thru tax season but TO ME it opens everything up a bit. The sound is cleaner, it seems. I am debating now whether to bi amp this setup by adding another Onkyo M-588F amp. Anyones thoughts on this?

tom1040
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
The Tannoy ST50 have various adjustments for the crossover & Freq. response. Together with the JBL S2600 speakers, what would the best setting? Does it 'depend' on the overall setup?

Thanks for your help.