PDA

View Full Version : 615b Coaxial, Bad Woofer

ryansupak
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I used to intern, in Houston, for an acoustics consulting company in the early 2000's. One of the jobs that the company involved in was replacing the sound system in what was then The Summit (later the Reliant Center, and now Lakewood Church.)

At any rate, the guys let me have a couple of extracted ceiling speakers, which I have determined are Altec 615-b coaxials with Altec N-1550A crossover networks. I gave them to my dad, who had a company called Hafer Case make boxes for them. We hooked them up to a Peavey CS-800S power amplifier, cranked them up, and they sounded great. After that they were used rarely, if at all.

Tonight my mother instructed my father to get rid of some junk, and the speakers were on the list. So, I reclaimed the speakers, thinking they might make nice mid-high cabinets for my DJ system.

I just got them home and hooked them up, and everything works except one woofer. Only the tweeter appears to make any sound at all, regardless of crossover setting. I do plan to swap the crossovers out to see if that's the culprit -- though I doubt it.

The speakers are clearly extremely well-built and they sound nice; it would be a shame to just replace them with newer drivers. So, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to start troubleshooting! Thanks for anything!

rs

ryansupak
02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
ps - there is no apparent damage to the speaker cone, no odd smells, etc.

ryansupak
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I did some research and spoke to (the very helpful) Great Plains Audio.

According to the meter, the woofer is probably shot and they don't have parts.

(If anybody wants to take the other functioning 615b and two crossovers off my hands, PM me.)

rs

hmolwitz
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I would be interested as I have some of the more recent Altec Coaxials.
Let me know
Thanks
Harry