PDA

View Full Version : In or out?

Infredible
05-20-2004, 11:53 AM
My 4343 came with the 2405's on the right side on both speakers. What is the ideal placement for them? As is or mirrored and if so should they be placed inward or outward. What arrangement gives the best imaging?
Thanks.

Fred.

4313B
05-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Pull them and mount them up on top the enclosure with a 2504. :D

OR

Mount them mirrored and either in or out depending on how far apart the two loudspeakers are placed. :)

Infredible
05-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Mount them mirrored and either in or out depending on how far apart the two loudspeakers are placed.

They are placed a about 6 feet apart and I seat 10 feet from them.

Fred.

Robh3606
05-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Hello Fred

Try and see what you like. Once they are mirrored you can play with either inside or out. Play with the toe in too. With the 2405 I would try to set the height close to ear level. They get very beamy in the vertical axis.

Rob:)

Infredible
05-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Rob,

I do have them toed in and sitting on my coach they are near perfect vertical aligment with my ears.
I will experiment over the week end as I will refoam them too if the faom shows up in the mail tomorrow.
Is removing the upper front baffle the best access to the 2405?

Fred.

John Nebel
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Roll up a towel and put the speaker system on its back on the towel so you can pick it up again.

If you want to make it easy, remove the 2121.

Take out the screws, remembering the long ones are in the middle of the sides.

Tilt the baffle out by grabbing it in the 2121 cut-out.

Use a book to prop it.

Hold the 2405 against the baffle when loosening its screws so none gets bent

Or on the other hand it may be stuck to the baffle and wiggling will free it.

When reassembling, it should be possible to hand-tighten screws if things are lined-up properly

Remember that the wire with the black stripe goes on the black terminal on the 2405 and the 2121 and other JBL drivers too - black to black is the rule.

boputnam
05-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by John Nebel
Remember that the wire with the black stripe goes on the black terminal on the 2405 and the 2121 and other JBL drivers too - black to black is the rule. Dammit, Nebel! Nobody ever told me there was a rule!! :rotfl:

Infredible
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Thank you John for the excellent explanation.

Fred.

Infredible
05-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Saturday while refoaming the 2121 and 2231I unmounted the front baffle folowing John's advices.
I mounted the 2405 outward and like it that way.
No big difference but a little more open stage.

Fred.

boputnam
05-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Infredible
...a little more open stage. :thmbsup:

Now, pay your dues!! The only kind we (or many of us... ;) ) thrive-on here - some pics of your gear! :yes:

Infredible
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Now, pay your dues!! The only kind we (or many of us... ) thrive-on here - some pics of your gear!

Now that I'm done with it I will take some snapshots.:coolness:

Fred.

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Now, pay your dues!! The only kind we (or many of us... ) thrive-on here - some pics of your gear!

Per Bo's request and for the general public here I've done my home work right coming back from work.
Here's a few shot of my gear.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Overview of my listening space...

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:38 PM
The ladys... notice how mint they are.

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:39 PM
right side.

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
One of my modified beaten up L100 which
now makes a great surround.

Infredible
05-25-2004, 07:50 PM
The HF driver in the L100 is a Beyma CP21 alnico which isn't made anymore. Sounds really sweet, close to the 2405 but a little more beamy. It has a resistor across to tame it a little to match the L100.
Now I need some serious bi-amplification.
4343's are an open door to spend more :banghead:

Bo? Did I pay my dues? :D :D :D

boputnam
05-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey, Fred...

Sorry to be tardy - had rehearsal and we rolled-out a bunch of new tunes tonight...

That is a very nice set-up! Beauty pair of 4343's - where'd you come across them?? Love the overview from the balcony. Is that some sorta SoMa loft? You might be near the Widget...

We should try and get together sometime - but only if you like Guinness... ;)

Thanks!

Infredible
05-26-2004, 10:43 AM
In fact this is at the SOMA downtown limit, 1st and Harrison. It's a big loft with jaccuzi on the roof :D
I brought the 4343's from Andrew member "m845" in San Jose.
And speaking of Guinness you guys are more than welcome to come by because I do have a real Guinness tap in my loft .:cheers:

Fred.

johnaec
05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
In fact this is at the SOMA downtown limit, 1st and Harrison. It's a big loft with jaccuzi on the roof :D
And speaking of Guinness you guys are more than welcome to come by because I do have a real Guinness tap in my loft .:cheers:

Fred. OK - when's the listening party? :D I'm in! :cheers:

John

Don C
05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
I'd like to hear those too. Ok if I bring some regular American brew?

Mr. Widget
05-26-2004, 01:35 PM

Fred.

Hey Fred,

Love to check out your place. I'm near 7th and Harrison... :cool: I'll PM you with contact info.

So do your 4343s have their grilles? I just received a sample of grille fabric in our quest for the proper replacement fabric and would like to do a comparison.

If you don't have the grilles, anyone in SF with a 43XX grille I could check out? While it's always fun to go out to Halfmoon Bay to visit Bo, it is a bit of a hike...

Widget

Infredible
05-26-2004, 04:39 PM
So do your 4343s have their grilles? I just received a sample of grille fabric in our quest for the proper replacement fabric and would like to do a comparison.

I do have the grille in good shape but I'm not sure if they are the original fabric. It's a pretty dark blue and they don't have the faceplate.

PM me and we probably can get in touch sometime tomorrow evening.

Fred.

Mr. Widget
05-26-2004, 04:48 PM
The original blue is a very dark blue that appears black in low light.

If you want 4343 nameplates Guido has made some replicas. Tom Loizeaux has originals and has had some made by Guido. You might ask him about them.

Already sent you a PM.

Widget

boputnam
05-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I sussed his coordinates, DonC is "in", and I'm thristy!! We don't have to do this so rush-rush, do we...!! :scold:

Can't we await my return from Saskatoon (no shit...), and schedule a quality gathering? I mean, like it's a LONG weekend coming... :(

Infredible
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Bo,

There's no rush :no:
I will have a big party june 5th and I hope the Guinness keg will survive so we can organize a more formal drinking/listening party. I have plenty of interesting disc to listen to.
I might see Mr Widget today for the JBL blue fabric "approval":bouncy:

Fred.

Mr. Widget
05-27-2004, 11:55 PM
... but I am not coming back until you get that Guinness keg replaced!:banghead:

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
05-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Thats a good looking pair of 4343's. Some interesting eq settings to deal with the high ceilings is my guess?

Ken

Infredible
05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Thats a good looking pair of 4343's. Some interesting eq settings to deal with the high ceilings is my guess?
Right now there's no EQ involved. My room has non parallel walls and has lots of different shapes breaking usual square room reflections. Also I'm seating pretty close to them so I still have a good imaging and don't ear the room that much.
Long bass note tend to be a little muddy still.

Oh! ...I met Mr Widget yesterday, really cool guy :thmbsup:

Fred.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-28-2004, 03:32 PM

Oh! ...I met Mr Widget yesterday, really cool guy :thmbsup:

Fred.

Hmm, fooled you to! :rotfl:

ngccglp
05-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi Fred,

Nice pair of 4343!! I noticed you have the speakers sitting flat on the floor. My experience with my 4333 is that the sound will open up if the cabs are justed supported on the four corners. I used 4 x 1 inch high wooden blocks instead of spikes due to the weight of the speakers. Try it.

David

Infredible
05-28-2004, 03:50 PM
The keg order has been placed this morning :cheers:

Fred.

boputnam
05-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I will have a big party june 5th... :thmbsup:

Sadly, I'll be unable to join - Little Wheels Band plays the Little Fox in Redwood City, and we've got load-in / soundcheck at 4.30pm. Dammit! You guys will have some fun! :(

johnaec
05-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
The original blue is a very dark blue that appears black in low light.

Widget So Widget - 'any conclusion yet on the "new" blue cloth match?

John

Mr. Widget
06-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by johnaec
So Widget - 'any conclusion yet on the "new" blue cloth match?

John

Still on the hunt! I sent the sample that I received on to John Nebel for a second opinion... it was not an exact match.

I have also requested some additional samples from another vendor. I can't believe we won't be able to get this one solved.

Hey Fred,

Don't drink all of that Guinness at the birthday party! See you soon.

Widget

Infredible
06-01-2004, 11:00 AM
I hope that theres's going to be some left after the big event. I will organize something in between next week and july 4th has I'm flying to France for two weeks.
All people from around the bay who wants to come are welcome. We just have to work on a date that makes everybody happy.

Fred.

Infredible
06-08-2004, 04:04 PM
The keg has survived :spin:

After two days :snore: :snore: :snore: to get back on track and some cleaning (Oh boy, 80 people and my place looks like a mine field).
So if you guys wants to come to my place for a fresh Guinness and some good tunes I suggest either on saturday 19 or sunday 20 in the afternoon.
There's a nice BBQ on the deck so we can grill some goodies.:cheers: :cheers:
Of course everone from the Bay and further is welcome. Juste PM me so that I can have a rough feeling on what would be the best day and have a head count.

Fred.

PS: see the aftermath...

boputnam
06-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow! Sorry I missed it!

Surprised Widget left behind his Pink Party Hat... ;)