PDA

View Full Version : Gershwin And More LP to CD

JBL 4645
02-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Just received though the post this morning wow that was fast!

Thanks Tom it sounds very neat nice musical balance on the JBL control 5 in stereo mode with sub bass extension turned ON.

Volume is at 0db thou the amps are set at comfortable level for LF and HF.

Stereo imaging is open. I can hear the faint sound of the record after each song or musical sample. Yeah it sounds good and like the jazzed up moments in the CD.

A few tunes I recognize thou I don’t know the title you sure Glenn Miller isnt on this CD or is it Gershwin and more?

73 minutes .09 seconds

I’m waiting for the big sonic one to come by? Or is this all mellow classics all the way because I don’t mind, sounds great.

Thank you very much Tom.:)

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey , glad you got it ...my tt is a long distance from the PC and I refuse to buy a USB tt , so I record from the LP to a ATRAC type R minidisc , take that to the computer where a consumer MD deck is setup, record to the harddrive and then run thru my new editor to cleanup the record noises..

That LP is quad, and better sounding that many , plus I liked the music

here is the track listing ..I have reversed sides 1 & 2 (easy edit on MD)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=236747&postcount=1357

the second album is Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite"

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=230099&postcount=1301

where you can hear the musical donkeys prodding along...a classic too ...its the story of a full day in the canyon from sunrise on ..

I need to know how the HF was to you ...the pop & click filter usually kills the highs, but my new editor is adjustable and I'm hoping that its set right - after a lot of experimentation.

JBL 4645
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Some portions made me jump or just startled me as I’m nervous type or nervous disorder. There was kinder of distortion like on the highs not a legitimate distortion I guess that is just the nature of the recoding.

Write down the settings on paper if you intend to send another sample of I like these settings it wasn’t overdone…just neat recoding. Did you change anything in the low end because it was good what ever did no notable rumble that I could detect?

I’ll give it another listen late tonight as I find it mellow and smoothening.:cool:

I thought the Grand Canyon Suite was going to be like the horns and trumpets like on the end credits of Grand Canyon 1991.

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Some portions made me jump or just startled me as I’m nervous type or nervous disorder. There was kinder of distortion like on the highs not a legitimate distortion I guess that is just the nature of the recoding.

Write down the settings on paper if you intend to send another sample of I like these settings it wasn’t overdone…just neat recoding. Did you change anything in the low end because it was good what ever did no notable rumble that I could detect?

I’ll give it another listen late tonight as I find it mellow and smoothening.:cool:

I thought the Grand Canyon Suite was going to be like the horns and trumpets like on the end credits of Grand Canyon 1991.

I left the lows alone, but tried to knock out a little of the inherent rumble, yeah I got a little grunge between tracks or where very quiet. Worked at maintaining tonal balance and did save the settings as a profile. Really liked the "Porgy & Bess" sections ...its not my primary listening genre either, but I too find it soothing......we will see when Krunchy & Heather weigh in on my CD

I am using Sound Forge 8 ....If anyone has recommendations on software for this type purpose ...plse chime in :D

Fred Sanford
02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
There was kinder of distortion like on the highs not a legitimate distortion I guess that is just the nature of the recoding.

What you're hearing may be a product of the conversions to the MiniDisc format (and then back to analog?) and then (from analog?) to the CD's format.

je

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
What you're hearing may be a product of the conversions to the MiniDisc format (and then back to analog?) and then (from analog?) to the CD's format.

je

I hear it playing from the LP also, before the dubbing ..dont know if it a mismatch from the 4 channel vinyl to 2 channel phono cart...its very quick and intermittent.

agree that all the conversions dont do it any good...:o: ...still looking for a better way

Fred Sanford
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I hear it playing from the LP also, before the dubbing ..dont know if it a mismatch from the 4 channel vinyl to 2 channel phono cart...its very quick and intermittent.

agree that all the conversions dont do it any good...:o: ...still looking for a better way

I'd thought of that, too, but never heard it so didn't comment.

I'm going through a similar issue here - easiest way is LP to consumer DAT at 48kHz, then play in pro DAT into Alesis Masterlink and ultimately produce a 44.1 CD - there's just no good spot for a TT to sit near the Masterlink or pro DAT, and I haven't felt like moving them, either. Purchasing a good A/V USB in for the laptops would be another way...

je

Krunchy
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I need to know how the HF was to you ...the pop & click filter usually kills the highs, but my new editor is adjustable and I'm hoping that its set right - after a lot of experimentation.

I think you did fine there Tom, the recording souns great, very crisp & clear highs, if you had not told me it was from a record I would not have given it a second thought :applaud: I've heard store bought cd's that pale by comparison. I got a chance to listen to it the day I got it (saturday) and listened to it yesterday a couple of times as well. Both times through a set of 4313B's I have in my "office" and was pretty amazed.

On the grand canyon suite I did hear a couple of pops and at times you could at times hear the tell tale sounds of the vinyl.....all of which put a smile on my face. For me personally this does not detract from the music. The overall quality of the record did not seem as good as on Gershwin's album, but not by much & may have more to do with the actual condition of the source than anything else.

My only quip would be that I was unable to skip over some of the tracks I did not like, a convenience that cant be underestimated. That said, I really liked the content itself, there are some real jems in both those albums. If you can break the tracks/put in spaces between the tracks you'll be in great shape. A die hard dead head friend of mine uses a program called total recorder to dub from vinyl to cd, his discs are amazing, but he also has loads of time to fiddle with this stuff.

Bottom line is I would be quite happy to have lots of recordings that sounded this nice.

You did a nice job and thank you for thinking of me :)

JBL 4645
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM

je

Maybe so maybe that is what I was hearing.

Well I’m going to give this another listen and see what the spectrumlab shows on the low end?

Oh, where can you get this program is it free download or cash. :D

JBL 4645
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
First track on CD I ran out of recoding space the track was just nearing the end with only 10 seconds left.

The drum beat is in the 70Hz region in red.

I connected two leads directly to the RCA phone on the Pioneer DV-525 DVD CD player and connected the input phone jack to the pc audio input.

The thin red line at 60Hz that’s just noise due to the threshold setting on the spectrumlab.

It’s mostly 70Hz going upwards.