PDA

View Full Version : 2450H/2360A first listen

JeffW
02-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I recently scored a pair of 2450H drivers with one small caveat: They came with 2360A horns attached.

What a pleasant surprise. I had no idea what to expect from these drivers, but since diaphrams for them aren't extinct I decided to give them a whirl.

Looking at them, you'd think the sound quality would be that of a PA at a football game or something. They are actually quite nice to listen to, even though I have them playing full range at a very low level, just turned the bass down.

The drivers and horns (well, throat adapters) both have consecutive serial numbers, so it looks like they've been paired up their whole life. Alas, the 2360A's can't stay. They are just overwhelming in size. Hopefully we can find a loving home for them :)

marcuswilson
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
It's a pity tou can't keep the 2360s as I have found the larger CD horns sound better than the smaller compromised versions. For instance, I think the 2380 is horrible.

JeffW
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
I've heard that same opinion from others about keeping the 2360A's. I wish there was a way I could integrate them into my system, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe they'll be around long enough for me to hook them up with a crossover so I can crank them up, I'd like to hear them cranked up a little bit more.

In fact I may have to keep them, I can't get the drivers off the throats so far :banghead:

subwoof
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Use a very flexible 1.5" putty knife between the 2450's GASKET and the throat and hammer tap away - it will come off.

Or remove the horn from the throat, remove the throat-driver bolts, lay it on it's side and stomp with a good boot at the junction while on a carpeted surface..

BTW I just put a pair of these horns on top of 813B cabs into a stereo and it rocks.

Big is better.

sub

JeffW
02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I ended up using one of the turnbuckles left over from the install to make a spreader between the driver and adapter, popped them right off.

1audiohack
02-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Some nut who can't get enough just bought them, now I have five for the big room and a spare!

JeffW
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm just glad they are going to somebody who will appreciate them, obviously they ain't for everybody.

I make it out that way now and then, maybe I can pop in for a listen one of these trips.

subwoof
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
The horns might be a tad large but work well for the "frat" age crowd esp when image is everything.

Took a pile of odds and ends that are a few generations old and assembled them for a system in a house I rent out near SU.

2360 / 2445 ( with coated dia's ) / 2225H ( E140 baskets ) / urei 813B cabinets. The cabs and horns are 31" wide so it's a clean look.

2404's are going in later this weekend.