PDA

View Full Version : JBL s3100 vs Array 1400-any thoughts?

polar_bear_0104
02-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a clear pair of S3100s being offered to me. I have originally set my sights on the array 1400...

Im just curious how both compares. I will appreciate any thoughts from anyone who had heard both or is familiar with the sound of either..

thanks in advance...i love this forum...very informative.:)

cheers

roy55
02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
As a owner of a pair of S3100s, imho they are excellent speakers. :applaud: A few years ago I traded a pair of L300s for a pair of S3100s, am glad I did, not that there was anything wrong with the L300s. S3100 are hard to find. I have not heard the 1400s, but I bet they sound good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either or both.

timc
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I have done some listening to the 1400's. IMO they are great speakers, but require a good amplifier to controll the woofers. They sound very smooth and detailed, and never get harsh, unless bad matching with amp/room.

The S3100 i have not heard.

-Tim

Mr. Widget
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
A few years ago I traded a pair of L300s for a pair of S3100s, am glad I did...As the S3100 is a newer and more refined speaker than the L300, the Array 1400 is again a newer and more refined speaker...

All three are fine systems, however with the L300 you cannot escape the fact that you are listening to horns... the S3100 is better in this regard, the Array 1400 defies belief. If you don't see it, you'll never guess it is a horn loudspeaker... yet it is still dynamically capable and offers the musical experience of a true JBL.

Widget

polar_bear_0104
02-20-2009, 02:27 AM
hey guys,

thank you for the inputs...appreciate it..cheers

polar_bear_0104
02-20-2009, 02:43 AM
i have actually heard the 1400s on an extensive listen and was quite impressed by it....i thought if the s3100 could approximate that sound, then it would be a good choice and a wise investment..:)

Mr. Widget
02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
i have actually heard the 1400s on an extensive listen and was quite impressed by it....i thought if the s3100 could approximate that sound, then it would be a good choice and a wise investment..:)There have been some amazing deals on Audiogon on the Array 1400s... I think that would be your best investment.

Widget

polar_bear_0104
02-21-2009, 06:15 AM
There have been some amazing deals on Audiogon on the Array 1400s... I think that would be your best investment.

Widget

Setting aside prices, is the s3100 worth the ownership? I'm being offered a very clean pair, hardly used and in storage for a long time after being shipped over from hong kong.

I've had a few JBLs in the past -L100t, my first branded speakers as a teenager in 1987, then in the mid 90s, I had the L40 and L90 from JBL Europe(Denmark)....all are still within the family..though not much used as I have also ventured into various "high-end" brands..

The array 1400 I thought would be my JBL purchase for this decade, until this S3100 opportunity..

thanks again for all your thoughts

Mr. Widget
02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Setting aside prices...The Array 1400 is simply a remarkable JBL achievement. You have to decide what you want.

Widget

Hoerninger
02-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Setting aside prices, ...

Have you ever considered the special sound stage of the S3100? There is more than the simple alternativ between narrow and wide.

roy55
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
"SPECIAL SOUND STAGE" :D good way to put it. You don't need a center speaker.

andywin
02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I've had Array 1400's for a short while now and I can only confirm what amazing speakers they are. I previously used either 4333's or an older C50SM S8 system and the 1400's are a quantum leap forward. They do require amplifiers that don't fold under difficult loads though.

Oh, almost forgot to mention. the wife loves them and even bought me a new pair of amps to power them!

polar_bear_0104
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
thanks guys for the replies....

hey andywin, what amps did u mate the 1400's? i heard it powered by a lowly 40 watt el34 amp, great mids and highs but not surprisingly, the lows were loose and wobly...

cheers

andywin
02-21-2009, 02:25 PM
thanks guys for the replies....

hey andywin, what amps did u mate the 1400's? i heard it powered by a lowly 40 watt el34 amp, great mids and highs but not surprisingly, the lows were loose and wobly...

cheers

Initially I tried the amps I had used with the older JBL's. Both Leak TL12+ and TL25+ struggled with the bass. I also have a SET amp that uses a PE1/100 transmitting valve that puts out about 18 watts that faired better but was still a little loose. A NAD 50 watt amp was better in the bass but lost out in the mid /top.
I tried a Musical Fidelity KW550 on demo and it was near perfect, maybe lacking a little in warmth that a valve amp has. I then looked at the MF 550K supercharger. This is essentially the same amp as the KW550 but has the ability to be driven by the output of another amp as it has both high and low level inputs. This will then allow me to experiment driving it with one or other of the valve amps as it presents an easy load and regain some of that warmth, but still be able to control the bass. My wife quite liked the look of the amps too, and bought them for me as an early birthday present.

Hoerninger
02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
the lows were loose and wobly...

I heard a demo with two MARANTZ MA 9S2 (300W at 8 Ohm; 150 A peak), there were no flaws in the bass of the Array 1400.

andywin
02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I heard a demo with two MARANTZ MA 9S2 (300W at 8 Ohm; 150 A peak), there were no flaws in the bass of the Array 1400.

The Marantz MA 9S2 is a stunning amp, I would be a bit concerned if a pair of those couldn't produce excellent bass from the 1400's.
What is clear is that they do require a good amp that can deliver as the load increases. I understand that the specs of the 9S2 indicate it will double its 8 Ohm output into a 4 Ohm load. Not many amps will actually do this.

timc
02-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I have used the Marantz MA9 S1 and SC7 S1 for an extended period of time in the shop. Have also listened a bit at the guy who bougt the set. He's a friend of min :)

As Andywin says, the are stunning. I have mainly used them with the Quad ESL 2905 and Klipsch LaScala II. In both casese they produced amazing sound. That they are a good match to Array, or even K2's is no surprise. The outperformed a Krell KSA-300S on all parameters. Except sheer volume.

-Tim

polar_bear_0104
02-22-2009, 02:33 AM
im quite familiar with the superchargers of MF..i thought they were just gimmicks, but apparently it works...it s even used as a standalone by a lot of buyers..interesting choice there andywin..

as for tha marantz, well, not much need to be said about them. their audio jewelry..

anyway, i reckon a hybrid pre/power set-up is the way to go...i want slam but also some of the euphony of a good valve amp..

ron, what are you powering your 3100s with?

thanks again guys for your cool thoughts..:)

andywin
02-22-2009, 05:07 AM
im quite familiar with the superchargers of MF..i thought they were just gimmicks, but apparently it works...it s even used as a standalone by a lot of buyers..interesting choice there andywin..

as for tha marantz, well, not much need to be said about them. their audio jewelry..

anyway, i reckon a hybrid pre/power set-up is the way to go...i want slam but also some of the euphony of a good valve amp..

ron, what are you powering your 3100s with?

thanks again guys for your cool thoughts..:)

It comes down to economics.

The MA 9S2 has a list price in the UK of £5k each. The dealers in the UK that have them are selling them at somewhere between £6k & £7k!

The MF 550K have a list price of £1.5k each and my wife sourced a pair, brand new for just over £1k.

The 550K may not be as good as the 9S2 but I can live with that considering the £9k to £13k price differential.

I am using my Toft LBPA-5 pre amp with the 550k's which is one of a short run of domestic hifi units produced by Malcolm Toft and the results are outstanding. As I said previously I have the flexibility to experiment with all sorts of combinations with these amps

timc
02-22-2009, 08:42 AM
OFC price is an issue.

How would you describe the sound form the 550K? What is this really? Just a power amplifier with HL inputs?

I have listened a bit to the KW500 integrated and i think it sounds really nice.`

Also tested the A1008 some. This one also sounds fine. MF is a brand that gives bang for the bucks. Even if they is not at the absolute TOTL. The price taken into consideration they sure are :)

Have you auditioned the new Titan monoblocks? They look awesome.

-Tim

andywin
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
OFC price is an issue.

How would you describe the sound form the 550K? What is this really? Just a power amplifier with HL inputs?

I have listened a bit to the KW500 integrated and i think it sounds really nice.`

Also tested the A1008 some. This one also sounds fine. MF is a brand that gives bang for the bucks. Even if they is not at the absolute TOTL. The price taken into consideration they sure are :)

Have you auditioned the new Titan monoblocks? They look awesome.

-Tim

The 55k uses the same circuitry as the power section of the KW550 integrated but has a low gain circuit as well. The saving is on the casework, an extruded alloy cylinder is a lot cheaper than big thick faceplates, gold plating and all the other cosmetics the market demands. I started off looking at the KW550 but the 550k made so much sense in terms of value and flexibility.

(http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/supercharger/whatis.html)

I didn't get the chance to hear the Titans, the specs look awesome though

tom1040
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
So, Polar Bear, what did you decide on and do you enjoy them?