PDA

View Full Version : Crossover help L65

hierfi
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Hello, new to the forum here and in need of some advice. We have a pair of L65 A's (122A, LE5-5, 077) in beautiful condition. We have owned them for a couple months now and love them.
I am wondering about the condition of the capacitors. I know they are 25 or more years old.

Should i just go ahead and replace them? and if so, what type of modern caps would you use?

Should I only replace C1, C2 & C3 as shown here, http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...Jubal%20ts.pdf (http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L65A%20Jubal%20ts.pdf)
Do I keep the exact same values? I don't really want to mod them, lets just say refresh to an original state.

Are there other components that may need attention?
someone had mentioned "air coils" in a previous thread.

I know I can do the work, I just need to know what components I should replace. And with what. And finally.... where to buy them.

does anyone have an actual pic of the crossover? i haven't dismantled these yet. I did pull a woofer and a mid to check driver #s when i first got them home.
We plan on keeping these and taking very good care of them.

this is my first post but i have been following/catching up on the 4345 DIY with great interest. I was about 12 when my big brother walked me into a pro audio store where the guys there were playing around with a set of these. I remember they were giggling like kids in a candy store. Ive been wanting that sound ever since. I really want a 4-way monitor bad. I might try a 4341 build, or get lucky enough to purchase a set.

Thanks in advance to any and all

Paul D
02-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I have the same exact speakers but I have'nt recapped them yet. Do a search on this site and you will find all you need to know. From what I have gathered, a recap is all that is usually needed. Keep the values as close to original as possible. Also, no need to get "top of the line" capacitors unless you don't mind spending lots of money.

Here is a resource for parts:http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm?CFID=967630&CFTOKEN=34586357

boputnam
02-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Proverb say go looking for trouble and you will find it. But, if you're interested in a DIY project it could be rewarding, so...

Should i just go ahead and replace them? and if so, what type of modern caps would you use?Scout around on the threads about networks - search for "caps" "capacitors" and read what those doing this work suggest. ABOVE ALL SEARCH THE FORUM FOR "L65" "L65 CROSSOVER" "N65 NETWORK" - THERE IS A TON OF STUFF ON THIS MODEL. :)

Do I keep the exact same values? Absolutely. Unless you intend upon designing entirely new network topology, stay with OEM specs.

.... where to buy them.Again, scout around. In a recent thread NOT about networks necessarily, Ian MacKenzie posted a few Links to sources...

...does anyone have an actual pic of the crossover? I might - will check. But, working through your post I fear this project might prove troublesome - is it your first time with your head in a cabinet? If so, be patient, careful and take pictures as you go.

Also, no need to get "top of the line" capacitors unless you don't mind spending lots of money.That is contrary to the advice of most here. If you are doing the work at-all, it is worth paying the price for top quality components. Yes, they are expensive.

timc
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I recapped my L65 entierly with Solen Polycaps. Very well worth it. I think they sound much smoother afterwards.

-Tim

hierfi
02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Proverb say go looking for trouble and you will find it. But, if you're interested in a DIY project it could be rewarding

I've seen plenty of trouble. I'm planning on the rewarding part:)

working through your post I fear this project might prove troublesome - is it your first time with your head in a cabinet? If so, be patient, careful and take pictures as you go.

when i was a teen i installed some Xovers in some Technics tower speakers that i took apart and noticed they had no Xovers at all.:blink:
These are the first "real" pair of speakers I have dove into. The labor i can handle, I've been an automotive tech for over 20 yrs and rolled with all the advances over the years and am always tackling complex systems. I rely on a network of information, AND intuition, to do the job correctly and in a reasonable amount of time. but you always get the few percent that make you do this :banghead: , for longer than you anticipated.

Now i'm relying on a network of JBL experts to help me do this project correctly, the first time. :D

I applaud every one here, this site is just what the doctor ordered.
thanks again