PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a pair of 4312As that need some work...

Jon S
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Just picked up a pair of 4312As that need some work. the drivers look to be okay but the speakers were wall mounted and accordingly they drilled holes in the sides. I would like to repair them and have some questions...
1. I want to reveneer the cabinets. do I need to remove the old veneer or can I just sand down the old and refinish with new? Help would be appreciated here.
2. How difficult will it be to replace/rebuild new griiles?
3. I would like to replace the crossover capacitors. How can you remove the crossovers? How hard is it to remove the foilcal without damaging it?
Thanks in advance...

robertbartsch
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a pair of these that I like very much.

I suppose you could make new grills like I did from new non-particle board and cover them with new cloth. This can be done with few tools such as a saber saw. The cloth is secured using contact cement.

As for the damaged veneer, it looks like new veneer may be the best option. I would see a cabnet shop for advice here.

Jon S
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
The seller came by with the speakers. Unfortunately, the water damage was too severe. The speaker cabinet was literally a spongy mass in the back and it was splitting along the edges. The drivers looked okay on one speaker but the damaged one was all moldy inside so I passed.