PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Line Vs JBL !!!??????

Flodstroem
05-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi there Transmission Line ("T.L.") builders (if there is one)

Is there anybody who have tried or have successfully build a T.L. loudspeaker out of JBL components (eg 10", 12" and 15" drivers). My intention is to try to build a T.L. for an 15" 2215 "low bass" and for an 10" 2123"high bass"

When reading the literature my conklution is that the T.L. speaker has a faster respons in the bass and midrange region than a conventional bass reflex speaker. The performance is more like a boxspeaker but without that awful "box sound". The few T.L. speaker I have ever listen to had a very "opened" and non colored sound with superior trensient responses for modern music.

When searching the Forum library there where nothing to read about T.L. Maybe ther is nothing to win for it. This type of speaker is a little bit tricky to build and to tune. But when this job is done. whats the sound performance ?

Any answer, pos or neg or input will do.
Thank you
Best Regards
Flodstroem
Flodstroem

4313B
05-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Dood!

You might want to check these out from a previous post on this forum:

Loudspeakers on Damped Pipes – Part One: Modeling and Testing

Loudspeakers on Damped Pipes – Part Two: Behavior

George Augspurger presented these a few years back.

G. L. Augspurger
Loudspeakers on Damped Pipes, Part One: Modeling and Testing; and Loudspeakers on Damped Pipes, Part Two: Behavior
AES 107th Convention
Jacob K. Javits Center
New York, New York
Sept. 24 - 27, 1999

Preprint Number: 5011 Convention: 107 1999-09
Author: G. L. Augspurger

http://www.aes.org/

Flodstroem
05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
I will order a copy "faster than a transient" (or was it a flash!!!???).

Thank you very much Giskard

Best regards
Flodstroem

4313B
05-18-2004, 04:37 PM
You got it! ;)

Let us know what you come up with!

jcdahl
05-25-2004, 10:21 PM
You might be interesed in this TL approach

EL PIPE-O (http://www.passdiy.com/speakers.htm)

Flodstroem
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Thank´s for your input jcdahl!

Yes, I read that artikel from passdiy´s web site. Interesting but hardly a
design for subwoofers my wife could accept in our house.

By the way, I have been following Mr Nelson Pass DIY-project for years. My first project, in 1975 I think. was to built a Pass class A power amp (25W I think). It worked perfect. That was the start for me to build more of these projects. Have since then been looking at passdiy projekt.

A very good guidance for Transmission Line builders can be found in "The Loud Speaker Dersign Cookbook" by Vance Dickason ( Audio Amateur Press)
(Chapter four: pp 73-77)

Thank you

Flodstroem