PDA

View Full Version : 4311b Replacement

Sol4311
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Hello! I've been lurking for a bit, and decided to finally join - this seems like a really helpful forum. I've been contemplating my JBL dilemma for awhile and figured this would be the best place to ask.

Well, my setup is currently a pair of 4311b's that i've used almost daily for the past 10 years. I love the sound that I get from these, and i've become fairly accustomed to them after all this time. I will soon be moving to a place where I cannot bring these particular speakers (space has nothing to do with it, they simply don't fully "belong" to me haha). Therefore I have been pondering what a suitable replacement would be. I am open to any readily available model, and since im on a students budget the cheaper the better. :) Preferably something that is of equal sound quality or better. I've looked online for another pair of 4311b's but they seem to be fairly illusive and the pairs I have found are usually well beaten. I have no qualms whether its a new or used model really.

Other info: I drive these with a Hitachi HMA-6500 (thoughts on this too?) i've been happy with it. I understand I don't do actual "studio work" but the sound these put out I have really fallen in love with. The genres of music I listen to are vast, but mostly Rock (progressive / melodic) and at usually medium sound levels - its rare I push these things as hard as im sure they can handle.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm sure i'll enjoy it here. :bouncy: Thanks in advance.

BMWCCA
02-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Assuming you're here because you want to stay with JBL, I can't think of a better speaker you can possibly buy on a student budget than a pair of L5's, or L7's if you have the room. Most 3-way bookshelf models similar to your 4311B's will be rather expensive and not sound anywhere near as fine as the two 4-way L-series towers. Price-wise, expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $500 but that's often less what you'd be paying for 4412 or 4412As, or L112s, or 4313B's in similar condition, all of which are quite a step up from your 4311B's.

I'm sure there will be other opinions. :D

Sol4311
02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Hm, L5 - L7s eh? I had a quick check online and they look like great speakers! I just have trouble finding any for sale haha. Any other opinions?

Also, I have a pair of Infinity Entra Ones, but they aren't JBL of course - any idea on their worth? I got them as a gift, and they always sounded muddled in the lower end to me (maybe its placement...). Thanks again.