PDA

View Full Version : alnico or ferrite

infinityQ2
02-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Cam across this confusing statement,

"Yep. Take me for instance, if those 4315's were all AlNiCo I would just dump the whole lot in the trash. If they were SFG ferrites then I would consider parting them out."

WHAT, is being said here?? Alnicos are junk?????:bs:

Mr. Widget
02-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Nothing is being said there... just more internet psychobabble...

Read this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4031

Widget

caladois
02-14-2009, 03:32 AM
ferrite for bass !!!!

timc
02-14-2009, 04:09 AM
ferrite for bass !!!!

Why? or are you kidding?

I think that the 1500AL gives good bass, but thats just me.....

-Tim

caladois
02-14-2009, 04:33 AM
I was just thinking about the vintage stuff. The last ferrite speakers always gives more strenght. The neodym issue is far better as well. The 1500al and 1501al alnico are more like a high tech show than a real advance.
Nowdays, The pro drivers still use neodym magnet. Don't they ?

4313B
02-14-2009, 06:38 AM
The 1500al and 1501al alnico are more like a high tech show than a real advance.The 1500AL and 1501AL are alnico done right. It would be pointless to discuss them further because most people will never see or hear one much less own one.

I suspect most people would be happier with the ME150H or 1500FE.

And probably even happier with anything from Pro since "Professional Series" is on the foilcal. :)

speakerdave
02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
. . . . WHAT, is being said here?? . . . .

Place tongue in cheek and chew gently. Sometimes forum statements are HIGHLY contextualized in poster's history.

4313B
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Place tongue in cheek and chew gently. Sometimes forum statements are HIGHLY contextualized in poster's history.Excellent perception! :yes:

Allanvh5150
02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
It really just says that the guy doesn't like AlNiCo. Personal preference I guess. I prefer the look of Ferrites just purely for the wow factor of the magnet size. Neo's don't really do it for me visually but if you need to pick the things up on a daily basis I go for Neo every time. Unless the particular magnet has been exposed to high temperatures or the like, they all work as well as each other. Just different technologies. :)

jcrobso
03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
It really just says that the guy doesn't like AlNiCo. Personal preference I guess. I prefer the look of Ferrites just purely for the wow factor of the magnet size. Neo's don't really do it for me visually but if you need to pick the things up on a daily basis I go for Neo every time. Unless the particular magnet has been exposed to high temperatures or the like, they all work as well as each other. Just different technologies. :)
I don't have any Neo drivers. But I have K and E 140s the only difference is the weight. John

4313B
03-07-2009, 10:30 AM
It really just says that the guy doesn't like AlNiCo. Personal preference I guess.Yeah, they were absolutely fine when they were the only game in town some thirty years ago but I've long prefered the zero maintenance of the SFG ferrite hardware. Speaking of looks though, I still think the 121A/124A was the best looking basket of the whole alnico series. It just seemed perfectly proportioned to me.

But I have K and E 140s the only difference is the weight.The K's will definitely degauss, the E's definitely won't. Some people just flat out don't care and that's fine.

Mr. Widget
03-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I still think the 121A/124A was the best looking basket of the whole alnico series. It just seemed perfectly proportioned to me.

I don't have any Neo drivers. But I have K and E 140s the only difference is the weight.I agree that across the board the old JBL Alnico woofers had the most aesthetic appeal, and those 12"ers with the 4" motors were just beautiful. I have seen some of the neo drivers used in the Vertec series... they weigh ridiculously little and look strange to me. They look almost like a basket without a motor, but I certainly understand the need for weight reduction and can appreciate the engineering that went into creating these modern drivers.

Widget

subwoof
03-07-2009, 12:42 PM
The K145 with the deep magnet and thick frame just says "bad". The 124A a close second.