PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Yamaha woofers, Made by JBL????

oldsoundz
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
So I picked up a set of PA cabinets the other day. They appear to have been home built for a few reasons. Though 2-way, they used a 3-way crossover with a 2425j connected to the highs, and a Yamaha JA-3882 15" woofer connected to the lows. :D The cabinets are a different story...

Anyway. I can't find much on this woofer, except for one site where a fellow mentioned these being built by JBL. He determined this after a big long hunt for cones after his Yamahas died. I believe he compared them to a 2205 or something similar. Someone else chimed in stating that a few guys back in the day were "using jbl parts in a pinch" (or something to that effect).

Anyone know of this? Did JBL supply Yamaha with woofers at any point?

Goodwill_HiFi
02-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Anyone know of this? Did JBL supply Yamaha with woofers at any point?

I've heard Altec supplied some HF drivers to them, so it's doesn't sound too off the wall that they may have gotten some drivers from JBL, as well.

spkrman57
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
JBL did not supply any components to Yamaha.

They were competitors.

I could be wrong though!

Regards, Ron

Goodwill_HiFi
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
JBL did not supply any components to Yamaha.

They were competitors.

I could be wrong though!

Does Yamaha not make pro-sound equipment anymore?

Mr. Widget
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Does Yamaha not make pro-sound equipment anymore?sure they do... mixers for example:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/index.html

Widget

Oldmics
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Yam built about a gazillion 3882 speakers during the 80s.

They were stuffed into the 4115 series cabinets and the slant floor wedges of which the cabinet number escapes me at this moment.

They are nothing like a JBL product.

They were still availiable as of about a year ago.

Oldmics