PDA

View Full Version : Repair to 035Ti pair?

wu6fiend
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Just received a pair of L20Ts. Ok shape, except...

Both tweeters are damaged. They sound fine, but the metal grills are dented in, and the silver cones are crushed slightly. Is it possible to repair this damage, or must I buy new tweeters?

I don't know if this occured in transit, or the damage was preexisting.:(

Can you still buy new 035Ti components from JBL?

TonyM
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the service replacement is the 052ti. I'm not sure what the difference in sound is but since they are supposed to be replaced in pairs...

Tony

evans224
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
035 Ti's are pretty common on eBay. I've seen decent pairs for around $75. The dented screens are easy enough to repair. Around the circumferance of the screen sits a rubber gasket in a notch. Use a very small flathead screwdrive or a nail to pry out the gasket, and the screen should come off. After pushing out any dents with your fingers, simply reverse the process and re-seat the gasket with your screwdriver.

grumpy
02-18-2009, 08:53 AM
yep... fixing the screens is a cakewalk. Fixing the dome, the
"slightly crushed silver cone", is more difficult. I would suggest
having a spare in-hand before experimenting, as it will never
be as it was, and it could get far worse.

Simple ideas like using tape or a controlled vacuum to pull
out the 'dent' might help and don't require taking the unit apart.

Note that this is akin to attempting to make a
crumpled bit of aluminum foil look new again.

A "new" unit or replacement dome (if found available) are
ultimately better solutions, albeit more expensive.

wu6fiend
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I had my eye on a pair of 035Ti's on eBay, but the owner won't ship to Canada. Says he's had problems at the border, so never again. I've probably bought about $2000 worth of stuff via eBay, and no problems with customs thus far. In fact, the whole process has been seamless, and I received my goods within a week/week and a half each time. There's no changing his mind, however.

I notice that the service replacements (052Ti) are available, for about $99 a piece. Thats pretty close to what I paid for the pair of L20Ts, once you add shipping. I will keep watching eBay, and hopefully find a replacement pair.

If anyone is parting out a set of the L-series, and has a nice pair of 035Ti's for sale, please PM me. I will give you a fair price for them.