PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, saying hello!

Monte Verdi
02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Just, picked up what I believe to be a pair of Altec A7 -500-8 and they sound spectacular through my Blue Circle BC2 monoblocks! My Magnepan 1.6QR's are up for sale. I have been looking for this sound for quite a while. The only thing I have heard that I thought were equals were a pair of Tannoy GRF's which are about $4k-12k on the used market. I've heard an awful lot of speakers over the years and hardly ever get excited, so needless to say I am getting little sleep.

I grew up in Orange County, CA in Fullerton/Anaheim/HB and remember the factory it is was near Disneyland. Modern in those days like a Mies van der Rohe work. Anyhow I am excited and will be posting all sorts of questions etc shortly.

Thanks to All in advance!:)

shaansloan
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Just, picked up what I believe to be a pair of Altec A7 -500-8 and they sound spectacular through my Blue Circle BC2 monoblocks! My Magnepan 1.6QR's are up for sale. I have been looking for this sound for quite a while. The only thing I have heard that I thought were equals were a pair of Tannoy GRF's which are about $4k-12k on the used market. I've heard an awful lot of speakers over the years and hardly ever get excited, so needless to say I am getting little sleep.

I grew up in Orange County, CA in Fullerton/Anaheim/HB and remember the factory it is was near Disneyland. Modern in those days like a Mies van der Rohe work. Anyhow I am excited and will be posting all sorts of questions etc shortly.

Thanks to All in advance!:)

Welcome to the forum! Now show us some family pictures and tell us how they sound man! ... Shaan

Monte Verdi
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Shaan. They sound incredible! Texture unlike anything I've heard aside from the GRF. Rich creamy and full bodied with extension into the stratosphere and they sound so right. Not even remotely as fast as the maggies but the way they hold onto and resolve notes is unbelievable, such warmth,elegance and grace. I heard a number of speakers at this years Rocky Mountain Audio Festival in Denver and was impressed by a few speakers but nothing I would put in league with the A7. The Hansen THE KING V2 large speaker sounded impressive (to cool and homogenized) but I would still take the A7, the Festrex $40k sounded gorgeous and guess which I would choose, :applaud:your right if you thought the A7.

I do have a question though. The cabinets have a cheap walnut formica finish and I am seriously considering having them veneered so I can refinish them to look like a great piece of furniture. I have no intention of selling so I was also thinking of upgrading internal wire coming from the crossover with Cardas or something of the sort. What is your opinion on the matter?:hmm:

Thanks, Ramon
P.S. Here are a some family photos with grill covers off!