PDA

View Full Version : altec 299-16a drivers unidentified horns/should I pull the trigger? Pic

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I have an out of state lead on a pair of altec 299-16a drivers mounted on horns wich idenitiy remain uknown at this time. I have a pic that was sent. I can get the horns and drivers for $250/pair. Here is the only picture I have...not the best but he is 3hrs away and this is all I have:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/RobD8870/media1.jpg

I searched the forums and google and found little information regarding people actually using these in there set ups. I found the spec sheet which altec put out. It is hard to gauge what it a good deal. This is my first venture into horns. I plan to use this in some kind of diy setup in the future. People seem to like the pascalite diaphrams, and tangerine phase plug which seems to come on all the 299 series.

What do you guys think? Is this something worth grabbing and hanging onto until I get the time to tinker?? I really respect this boards opinons and look foward to hearng them! BTW, Thanks again,

Rob D.

BigBusa
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
nah... I wouldn't buy em! :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-299-Drivers-with-MR-II-594A-horns_W0QQitemZ260346428777QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Pair-of-vintage-Altec-299-16-compression-drivers_W0QQitemZ120373645363QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120373645363&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I am sensing some sarcasm here???:p I actually ran across the second ebay ad but the guy had been trying to sell the drivers for a while at that price and I did not know how far he may be off. Some people will stick to insane prices forever and without having anything else to compare it to.....pluse my sheer ignorance when it comes to pricing of drivers/horns. Those horns are much smaller in the first ebay ad? I wonder what type of horns those are? I have a chance to get both cabinets for an additional $150? Good thing is this is off the grid so no real fear of loosing the deal to someone else.

Thanks for the response.......Hope to hear more!! but now I am obviously leaning towards grabbing them up!

oldsoundz
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
If it were me, I would be about half way home by now with them sticking out of the back of the truck.

They sure get funny looks going down the road:p

Steve71
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I believe they are fiberglass Mantaray MR-64 horns. I'm listening to an older metal pair with 299 drivers & 288 GPA diaphragms as I type this this. They are part of my ever evolving 3 way (plus sub) diy active speakers. Here's an old pic before I mounted the HF B&C driver inside the mouth of the MR-64 horn. BTW I had to rotate the MR-64 horn on it's side due to the fact it's right up against the wall.

$250 for the pair seems like an excellent deal!

http://steve71.fileave.com/horns.JPG

spkrman57
02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Steve71, what are your midbass horns?

Are they loaded with 12" or 15" drivers, and what is the bottom cutoff frequency if you don't mind sharing that info???

Regards, Ron

Steve71
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, sorry for the slight hijack Rob!

Ron, they are a conical horn that I modeled using hornsresp for the Altec/GPA 515G driver. They cover from 80hz to 400/500hz.

I built them about 6 months ago and received some great help from GM over at DIY audio (he also posts here). I have some long overdue follow up posts to make over there on the modeling and build which I'll be making in the next few weeks.

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Hijack away!! No problem. I apreciate you sharing the pictures and input!! Thats is one sweet looking setup!! But I bet there are more than looks there!!:applaud:

I am going to go ahead and pick them up!!

Does anyone think the cabinets are worth the additinal money. Maybe I will just take the "12 cabinet for mids and build my own subwoofer in the future...Or just start from scratch on my own design? He says there in great shape. A friend of mine works with him and through a conversation he linked me up with him and told me he had these items. SO I owe him.

Steve71
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't know what the mid horn cabinets are, but the bass horns look like Vott A7's? Mind you I'm no expert, it's just guess. But if they are A7's then you wouldn't need the anything between the MR-64's and the A7 bass cabs.

Enjoy the drive!

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah 3hrs is a optimistic estimate. Probably more like 3 1/2 hrs. But should be fun in the future. Probably would make a killer home theater setup.....:D I dont know maybe I should make a deal on the cabinets and everything. If they are indeed the a-7s I will make a move on them for sure!! He states that the cabinest are in excellent shape. Some nice veneer and maybe I could get them by the wife!! I wish I knew more regarding these horns/drivers and bass bins but I cant let this opportunity pass me by. Once again the boards have not let me down!! Thanks guys!! :applaud:

Steve71
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Well I can fill you in a little on the horns and 299 compression drivers.

The MR-64 horns are a constant directivity type horn so they produce an even sound over their 60degx40deg beam. However they do roll off early compared to the multi cell horns. They require eq or an an additional HF horn above about 7k (IIRC). I've tired both EQ and a HF horn and prefer the latter. The 299 driver in the MR-64 horn plays down to 500hz and is 115db/w/m sensitive!

The only difference between the 288 and 299 compression drivers is the diaphragm. The 299 will take the 288 diaphragm and will sound the same as a 288 driver. Some say they sounded the same in the first place :). Diaphragms wear out... if yours were used for PA then they may need replacing.

According to what I've read on the web the 288 driver is one of the best sounding compression driver made.

Some also prefer the mantaray horns to the multicells as well...

Personally I had to EQ my MR-64 horns before I was content with the sound **in my room**. They were about 3db up in the 1-3khz region (IIRC). Now I'm in love with what these things can do. I just need to brace the bass horns and find some way to make it all look pretty.

Hope you have a big pickup! :D

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Man A lot of great info there Steve!! Thanks so much it is greatly apreciated!! I made contact to confirm and at this time am taking the horns/drivers for sure!! I am going to eye up the bass bins and mids and make an on the fly decision Not sure if all will fit in the truck or not? May not even be an option to buy the entire setup.... 115db/w/m sensitive WOW!!

I cant wait to see your final product.....I am sure it will be amazing! Keep us posted.

I will post back when I pick the horns up!! :bouncy:

BigBusa
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Are the altec woofers also included? They appear to be missing.

RobD8870
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
:banghead:No woofers included. That is why my interest is lost on the cabs...but if they are original altec cabs then that is another story! Anyone else can confirm there identity? Thanks!!

Goodwill_HiFi
02-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Look closer guys..... there are 4 cabinets in the picture the bottom ones are JBL's (4560's?) the top ones are...... I have no idea.

$250 for the HF horns AND drivers sounds like a good deal to me. The large HF horns can often times go cheap since they are hard to ship, but the drivers being included I think makes it. The only caution I can come up with is that I'm not sure what the 299 is..... 288 and 291 are basically just different diaphragms. The 299 will use the same diaphragms but I'm not sure if there are any other differences. $150 seems like a decent deal for the bass cabinets, too...... at least to me coming from the Altec side of things. Course with the economy the way it is..... depressing the price of things, I could be wrong.

I think if you can afford to spend the money (and have room/time) ..... it's a great price.

RobD8870
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I beleive you may have nailed the cabinet Goodwill HIFI
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4560-Bass-Bin-Speaker-Plans_W0QQitemZ310112807381QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20 090102?IMSfp=TL090102115007r25002

The ad above somebody is selling the plans for that box and they have a picture of one done. It looks identical to me! GOOD CALL!!:applaud:

....Thanks for your thoughts regarding the items. Now if I can just figure out what that mid bin is....although after reading the jbl 4560 is only going to go down to 60hz....SO I willl likely pass on the enclosure....I think?!!....

RobD8870
02-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Here is another shot of the 4560... that has to be the same one....Seems to be for lower mid range....at least that is what I keep reading.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22698

Some people dont seem to have a high opinion of them..(from above link)..:D

Originally posted by jbl_man

Someone posted a photo of a big pile of these set alight for firewood,but cant seem to find it now?

Why am I not suprised? Running these for anything other than pure nostalgia is pointless.
I can see why they ended up as firewood.

I'll get some photos up as asoon a possible.

MB

Goodwill_HiFi
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Most of the old horns are mid-bass as far as I know...... Even the Altec 210's.

I have zero experience with JBL cabinets, but I don't think $150 would be a bad price...... of course if you could get the price lower that would be even better. If you are already buying the HF horns, and the guy is really wanting to reclaim space you may be able to get them cheaper. Did the $150 cover the other cabinets, too?

RobD8870
02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah I am completely new to this!! Yes the addtional 150 covers both sets. Thanks!!

RobD8870
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
So from what I am understanding the horn will cover down to 500hz....Is there a 15" that will cover up to 500hz and can be used in the 4560? Then I can do away with the 12" mid range and later make a nice subwoofer to cover below100 or 80hz. Is this even feasible?

Perhaps a 2205 would cover that area up to 500hz if my initial findings are correct? Anyone??

I just keep editing as I find more info......sorry! But I would still like some confirmation of my findings if any of you have the time. SO far the help has been tremendous. This place has been an amazing wealth of information well before I ever posted my first post. Let alone helping now with specific questions.

Found a page on the 2205 woofer. It states the highest you would want to cross it over is 800hz. SO this would fit the bill. I just wonder how it will work in the 4560 enclosure???? I am off to continue the search!:D

BigBusa
02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I personally wouldn't buy the cabinets unless I had woofers to put in them and had use for them.

If you buy them thinking that you might be able to eventually sell them if you dont use them... it won't be easy!

You'll have to find a buyer that is semi local, willing to travel to pick them up AND who needs those particular GIGANTIC empty cabinets.

If you really want the horns and drivers... tell the seller that you will drive 7 hours round trip to pick them up if he throws the cabs in for free otherwise, you're not interested.

You're really doing the seller a favor by picking everything up. He now doesn't have to pack, transport and ship the horns/drivers. From a sellers perspective, that's a huge pain in the butt!

Make him jump through YOUR hoops... not the other way around ;)

RobD8870
02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
No at this moment I do not have the woofers but have a lead on some 2205s. Not even sure that is the way I would want to go. I have only refinished cabinets and have not built anything. However I am looking to change that in the near future. I think I would like to either use the horn/driver combo in a home theater setup.....Maybe 2 channel hifi....not sure yet. Either way I think I should probably look to construct my own cabinets to fit my needs and direction I want to go. Who knows how long it will be before I get around to getting anything done and those cabinets are freaking huge. Not sure I want to take on storing them in the mean time.

Maybe he will throw them in. If not I am not sweating it. I guess he built a box around the horns. It will at least protect them while I transport them....we'll see.

BigBusa
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
You'll need a pretty big room to use those cabinets and horns in a home theater system. I bet they'll sound great though! Their size alone is intimidating. :applaud: They're definately worth $150 just to see the looks on the faces of your guests when you show em your HT room! :D

Goodwill_HiFi
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
You'll have to find a buyer that is semi local, willing to travel to pick them up AND who needs those particular GIGANTIC empty cabinets.

Yes, they'd likely be a local pickup item, but I wouldn't call them gigantic........ They're only 36 in x 30 in x 23 7/8. I doubt it would be too hard to sell them on Ebay.

You're really doing the seller a favor by picking everything up. He now doesn't have to pack, transport and ship the horns/drivers. From a sellers perspective, that's a huge pain in the butt!

Make him jump through YOUR hoops... not the other way around ;)
I think that's a bit presumptuous on the shipping deal. He's offering them forsale, that's it, that's all we know. Saying that picking the stuff up is doing him a favor is plain ridiculous, if he has no intention of shipping...... you'd just be insulting him.

RobD8870
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back with everyone. I lost out on the horns and drivers. I kinda got screwed by my job...more specifically the weather. I had to work 6 12hr minimum days. However I kept the seller in the loop and everything was agreed upon. I made it through the horrible work week and then a day before I am getting ready to head there I receive the email.

Oh well. I was pretty upset at first but now I have more money in my pocket from OT and lack of purchase. Just means I get to search for something else to drop some money on!! I will not have a hard time finding something I am sure.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Maybe next time I will actually come through with the score!! :blink:

BigBusa
02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Bummer. Sellers don't like to wait. I've found that ya gotta jump on it if you want the thing. And, even then... it's usually already sold or they're "holding" it for someone.

RobD8870
02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah your right. I didnt want to wait....everyday that went by I was actually scared of this very thing happening. But with him being 3 hrs plus away and the storm hitting when it did. I had no choice but to be at work. And when your working 12-16hr days it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit a 6hr round trip in. :banghead:

I am trying to stay positive though. I will hopefully win the next one.

Again thanks for all your input.:applaud:

BigBusa
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
the next one will be better!

Or maybe his buyer will fall through and he'll call you back. :)