PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows what speaker this is? (Altec 604-8k)

xronx
02-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Hello,

I'm new here...My name is Ron from Germany...I found this speaker offered on a German 2nd Hand Audio Page.

http://audio-markt.de/_markt/uploaded/1616714760_g.jpg

Does anyone know if this is a Model 18? It looks a little different...it has 604-8k speakers...

I'm looking for a 300B useable speaker to replace my Cabasse Iroise 500 speaker.

A friend of mine got a 604E in Onken cabinets but I havnt heard it so far...would you reccomend the pictured speakers?

Best regards

Ron

Steve
02-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Here you go

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/home-speakers/model-18.htm

xronx
02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your post Steve...

I knew the Link before...thats why I ask if this could be a later Model 18. Since the Model 18 looks slightly different and has the 604H instead of the 604K.

What would such speaker cost in the US? How good will it work in original condition with Altec frequency network?

Best regards and thanks

Ron

Mr. Widget
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
How good will it work in original condition with Altec frequency network?That is sooo subjective. The 604 series are famous for having a pronounced midrange, weak bottom end and very little high frequency extension. I expect this version with the tangerine phase plug and newer diaphragm combined with the EQ'd crossover will be more neutral and have better highs... maybe not what a true Altec fan would like, but closer to what contemporary speakers offer....

Would you like it? Hard to say. Lots of 300B and SET fans love Lowthers... I find them far too colored. It is all so subjective.

Widget

xronx
02-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Dear Widget,

I have a borrowed AER AS-2B monitor here. Its a speaker made by AER having the MK1 fullrange driver coupled with a paper bass cone in a sealed enclosure. This speaker is the reason that Im not satisfied with my Cabasse Iroise 500 anymore.

Unfortunately the AER is al little light weight (voices are a littly thin)...on the other hand it sound pure and direct, the Cabasse sounds slow and veiled in comparison but offers a more weighte sound and a real bass. The AER sounded if just very slightly colored and gave voices a slight nasality...but after a few minutes you didnt realized anymore.

So I hope to find a tonal more homogeneous speaker but with the mentioned directness and open sound.

Would you expect the sound weak in bass even if the cabinet has so much volume to offer? How good is the org. frequency network, would it be ok for the start or is it very bad (as it seems according some opinions)?

Mr. Widget
02-07-2009, 12:21 PM
The AER sounded if just very slightly colored and gave voices a slight nasality...but after a few minutes you didnt realized anymore.
Exactly. This nasal quality is quite common among the Lowther, Fostex, and other "full range" speakers. It is typically caused by a peak near 1 KHz. Yes the brain is quite good at adapting... however, I prefer a more accurate speaker to begin with. This openness and lack of veiled sound can sometimes be attributed to peaks in the 2-5KHz region... on some recordings it brings vocals, horns, and other instruments forward and out of the dark... then on others it makes your ears bleed...

Speakers with extremely low moving mass and extremely good transient response also have these characteristics without the need of the frequency imbalance.

Would you expect the sound weak in bass even if the cabinet has so much volume to offer? How good is the org. frequency network, would it be ok for the start or is it very bad (as it seems according some opinions)?Don't be fooled by large woofers or large volumes. The system resonance is still quite high and will have a rolled off bass response below about 50Hz... this is not a problem for many listeners depending on the type of music they listen to etc... also a 300B will have a tough time controlling the woofer so you will get bass bloom that you might like or might hate.

As for the network? I'd prefer it to the earlier Altec versions. It gives you much more control, extends the apparent high frequency response and tames the mids a bit.

Widget

xronx
02-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Dear Widget,

I think 50Hz will be more than sufficient. I hink more important than ultimate bass slam is for me that the instruments have natural body and warmth. This is what the AER is lacking.

I also wonder if the older 604 incarnations, besides its little higher efficiency rating, might be an easier load for an tube amplifier? It seems that a lot of people prefer the 604E as THE 604 model to go for?. By the way I now use a older VAC PA60 KT88 PP amp in triode mode but want to explore other amps in the future.

Best regards

Ron

Mr. Widget
02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
It sounds like you probably are a candidate for the "vintage sound" of an Altec 604 driver. As far as the older Altecs vs. this "newer" 604 variant, I would bet that the sensitivity difference is likely due to the network pulling back on that mid peak. I imagine that if you turn off the EQ in this network (there is a switch provided for doing this) you will have most of the honky splendor that has made Altecs so popular with some and so reviled by others. I doubt in actual terms this 604 has lower sensitivity... at this point it certainly would be helpful if one of our Altec guys could offer more than my speculation.

Widget

redpulse
09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Here you go

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/home-speakers/model-18.htm
hello im new on this forum i have 3 altec 604-8k elements that was in the local teather .
and now i want dem in my studio and i need to know some spec
Le....
fs....
Mms..
BL...
Pmax

i cant find them but i maby some one of you know

thx