PDA

View Full Version : How get rid of tweeter frame discoloration?

jbl-ahhh
02-06-2009, 07:59 AM
The tweeter frame in one of my 4411s has a discoloration or a dullness on part of it -- see attached pic. Any ideas how to get rid of it without doing damage? It is really noticable from across the room when the grill cover is off. (Try to resist those urges to advise just leaving the covers on ;)). Thanks.

BMWCCA
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
The aluminum is stained or corroded. You can take the frame off by taking the 044 out of the cabinet, removing the rubber string gasket around the screen, pulling the screen, and removing the four screws underneath. The frame will then separate from the tweeter. Search this site for "044" and you'll probably find a thread about sanding them with 80-grit paper. Circular on a wheel with the tweeter frame centered works best. Or just buy a destroyed pair with good aluminum off Ebay and replace the frame. Be careful with the gray string (it's not an O-ring on any I've taken out) since they're no longer available.

If it's just a stain, you could do the same disassemble and try some alloy wheel cleaner, or other polish. Just a thought, I've never tried it. Test a hidden spot, like the threaded mounting tabs, first!

grumpy
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18401

drop down to post #14 and go from there

(polishing will change the look of a 'brushed aluminum' finish ... tried that)

jbl-ahhh
02-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. I finally got around to doing it and your pointers made a huge difference. The tweeter frame is shiny again -- almost good as new -- and I didn't break anything in the process!

Serum
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
3m scotch brite will give cleaner results than sandpaper!