PDA

View Full Version : L100t3-Grill Frame HELP!

bigstereo
02-06-2009, 06:35 AM
I have two pegs broken off in my L100t3 grills. I know how to remove the pieces that are stuck in the grommet holes in the cabinet but...

I need to know if the pieces that are stuck in the grill frame can be removed and replaced or are they molded into the frame itself?

Also, if they are not molded into the frame and can be replaced, can anyone point me in the direction of new grill pegs for this model?

bigstereo
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I probably should just grab my drill and a tiny bit and a dry wall screw and a pair of pliers and check it out myself eh? If anyone knows where I can get new grill pegs for these I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks.

hjames
02-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I have two pegs broken off in my L100t3 grills. I know how to remove the pieces that are stuck in the grommet holes in the cabinet but...

I need to know if the pieces that are stuck in the grill frame can be removed and replaced or are they molded into the frame itself?

Also, if they are not molded into the frame and can be replaced, can anyone point me in the direction of new grill pegs for this model?

If its a molded plastic frame with integral pins like the L20T/L60T series,
Glue along wont hold that broken stub onto the grillframe.

So, once you recover the broken grill stub that's stuck in the grommet on your baffleboard, you can heat up a nail/brad/finishing nail and push it through the plastic grill stub into the grill and pin it together.
That'll act as a "splint" that will hold it all together.
Like a steel pin in a broken leg ...

wu6fiend
02-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Heathers idea is a good one, but...I'm pessimistic that the repair will hold for long, particularly if you like to take your grills off and on frequently.

I saw a pair of grills for the L100T (same model basically as the T3) on eBay, you should buy those. They were fairly cheap too. I called JBL inquiring about replacement grills, and was told they were unavailable.

I'm hoping to find a replacement grill for a pair of L80Ts; mine is broken in half, and repaired by the former owner with glue. Fine from a distance, but closer up, pretty sad looking.

bigstereo
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks Heather. The frames are molded plastic.
I could just leave them alone as the ones that are broken are the top two pegs on the same frame and the remaining 4 pegs hold the grill in place just fine.
Only I know that they are flawed and it bothers me a teeny bit because other than the broken pegs, this pair of speakers is close to being perfect in every way.

bigstereo
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Heathers idea is a good one, but...I'm pessimistic that the repair will hold for long, particularly if you like to take your grills off and on frequently.

I saw a pair of grills for the L100T (same model basically as the T3) on eBay, you should buy those. They were fairly cheap too. I called JBL inquiring about replacement grills, and was told they were unavailable.

I'm hoping to find a replacement grill for a pair of L80Ts; mine is broken in half, and repaired by the former owner with glue. Fine from a distance, but closer up, pretty sad looking.

The t3 grill frames are different. They have a molded-in cutout for the badge about 1.5 inches from the top left corner of the frame. They actually fit over the bottom edge of the badge and the cutout allows for the thickness of the badge. If you refer to my avatar, the grill, when in place actually covers up the L100t3 logo on the bottom part of the badge. I would'nt think that that regular L100t's would have this cutout because their badges are on the right side.
I've thought about trying to find a mint replacement pair of frames. The thing is that I covered this pair with Zilch cloth two years ago and would prefer that time and effort not be wasted.