02-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Lancer L44 with LE8T full range has rotted surrounds,
the passive radiators are fine,

is it recommended to replace with foam surrounds,

will the speaker perform well with foam surrounds,

thank you for any advice

TonyM
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think you're going to have much of a choice.

I did have a pair done with foam surrounds and they seemed to work OK. If you have it done by a shop make sure that they come back with the aluminum domes, that does make a difference. That I know for sure.

Mr. Widget
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
The best solution is to go to a JBL factory authorized service center and have the speakers reconed. It is not inexpensive, but then they will be just like new... might actually need a remag as well. The better shops have a gauss meter and can check that for you but don't typically have the machine to do the remag. The correct part is the CR8LE8T. Cost is $176 each. I would bet that while the passives are not cracked, they are likely quite stiff by now and should be refoamed if you want the correct bass response.

Basically, the better the shop you take them to the better the results. There are several members in your part of the world, hopefully one can chime in with a recommendation.

Widget

boputnam
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Certainly recone is best. And it's REALLY cool those kits are still available!

I've resurround a number of LE8T's and it "seemed" to work fine - by "seem", I mean I made no measurements to assure they returned to spec. Dunno for sure.

If you wish to try new surrounds you can find some info here. However, be aware that those white cones are damned fragile and they don't like being futzed with much.