PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 makeover

rgwalker
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
These were going to be modified Model 19s but somewhere along the way I sold them. What I ended up with are Altec 620A (Model 18) cabinets with Altec 416-8B woofers, Altec 288C drivers with 8 ohm diaphragms and EV HR60 horns. The tweeters are Heil AMT-1 and crossed at 9K. The crossovers are Model 19s upgraded with Solens Fast Caps and North Creek air coils.

I am currently running a Dynaco CDV2 tube output CDP directly into a McIntosh 240 amp.

I have had several stock vintage Altec systems including, Valencias, Model 18s, Model 19s, Model 15s and JBL Olympus with a variety of receivers and amps. I was a studio musician for many years and I have heard what I consider great sound but I was blown away when I played the first CD a few weeks ago and after listening to 200+ CDs my appreciation has only grown. It is amazingly musical and instruments sound totally natural and realistic. Almost every CD that I have sounds great and many that I wouldn't listen to otherwise are such good recordings that I find myself compelled to listen.

This was inspired by a friend in Holland who recently built the same system and convinced me that I would love it and I haven't been disappointed. Thank you Evert.

Bob Walker

Mr. Widget
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Not only are you thinking outside of the box, but you are working outside of the box as well... I hate that saying. ;)

Looks very interesting... have you tried any other horns? I am not suggesting that these are bad, I really haven't a clue what they sound like, but it would be interesting to compare... with say 511s.

How does the Heil driver do sensitivity wise?

Widget

rgwalker
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks very interesting... have you tried any other horns?

How does the Heil driver do sensitivity wise?

Widget

I wanted a 60 degree horn and the EV doesn't have any issues. I have a single Altec 311-60 but haven't found a suitable mate yet.

The Heil is very sensitive and will handle volume unlike most ES tweeters.

Bob Walker

Tom Brennan
02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Those EV CD "Great White Horns" have a following out there.

AltecLansingFan
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2i92l2h.jpg

Regards from a simple man

Mr. Widget
02-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Those EV CD "Great White Horns" have a following out there.So do those bow tie Emilars. ;)

Widget