PDA

View Full Version : Change the wood color of my 4411's?

groover
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I know this is sacrilege, but I'm negotiating with the wife to have my new (old) 4411's as part of the main home theatre/listening room. Dark wood cases are so Not In these days. I think I could sell it if I can make them bleached oak or very light maple.

Is there any standard/easy way to re-vernier these beauties or shall I call Ask This Old House?

Before you kick me out, the current cases aren't mint or anything (which might make me consider selling them/trading for a more beat up pair).

All help appreciated... and while we're on the subject, anybody care to recommend a subwoofer to ride along with the 4411's in front and the 4311B's at the side?

SMKSoundPro
02-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I get all of my woodworking plywood and stuff from Hardware Specialties on W.53rd off of Arctic Blvd here in Anchorage. They can help you with some different veneers.

The 4411's are a winner, as you know, and worth veneering to keep in her living room. I have 4 - 4311's down at the nightclub for bar music and they work just fine for that.

Around here, there are many flavors of subwoofers. Are you looking for home theatre stuff? Try the search function up above for ht subs.

Welcome to the forum. I am in Anchorage.

Scotty.

evans224
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Do a search on "veneering" here, there are many different ways to go about it. And you will also see some great JBL's done in exotic veneers that look beautiful. I don't think anyone here is going to throw you out for trying to keep the wife happy with your speakers. I have a very understanding spouse, and she has seen the collection growing over the last year or so. I'm starting to get that sideways glance that means, "and what are you planning to do with another set of JBL's? Not in my den, you're not!"I think I need another wing on the house.

groover
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks Scotty,

Yes, Home Theatre. 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 now with 7.1 surround (so I'm looking for the .1). Planning the 4411's up front, the 4311Bs at the side (I know, overkill for the surrounds, but great for 4 channel music listening) and I have several smaller speakers to try for the rear surrounds.

I'm in Fairbanks but get to Anch often enough. I posted a while back about the rotten foams on the 4411's. I see the posting on how to do them, but is there somebody in Anch who does them better than my "first time"?

Mr. Widget
02-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't think anyone here is going to throw you out for trying to keep the wife happy with your speakers.Sure we are, be a man damn it!

Ok back to reality... I did some speakers a year or two ago in some spectacular birds-eye maple that I bought from Oakwood... they have tons of really top quality veneer and will send you a sample or two if you want to show "she who must be obeyed" first.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/

Widget

hjames
02-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Sure we are, be a man damn it!

Ok back to reality... I did some speakers a year or two ago in some spectacular birds-eye maple that I bought from Oakwood... they have tons of really top quality veneer and will send you a sample or two if you want to show "she who must be obeyed" first.

Widget

she who must be betrayed??
Oh wait, thats the british dig at that line ...

... nevermind ...

wu6fiend
02-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Funny to read about "reveneering", I was thinking the exact same thing about a couple pairs of old L-series I have here. My wife banned the L100Ts and L60Ts from the living room, because their teak veneer didn't match the decor. Now, if they were black ash, they could return to center stage!

hjames
02-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Funny to read about "reveneering", I was thinking the exact same thing about a couple pairs of old L-series I have here. My wife banned the L100Ts and L60Ts from the living room, because their teak veneer didn't match the decor. Now, if they were black ash, they could return to center stage!

Gawd - give me more teak, loverly, loverly teak!

Ban the black ash! :applaud:

JBLRaiser
02-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Sure we are, be a man damn it!

Widget

they will be absolutely gawjus. Hell, even the veneer company chose Oak.

groover
02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
anybody have some re-veneered they'd like to show here?

SEAWOLF97
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Gawd - give me more teak, loverly, loverly teak!

Ban the black ash! :applaud:

Hear , Hear !!! :applaud:

I've got 3+ yards of teak playing in the LR...Everyone who comes in says
" Doze are beautyful , bet they sound Great !!" And they do...

Charred Ash ?? Thats prolly what kept me away from L7s ... go in WorstBuy and it looks like the aftermath of a forrest fire

Phil likes to defend the L7s looks, but how would he feel if one of his Bimmers interiors was done in charred ash, instead of walnut ?

(you do know the right words to draw me into a thread, HJ)

hjames
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
anybody have some re-veneered they'd like to show here?

its off this site, but Greg's JBL L100 refurb cabinets look very nice ...

http://www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html

(finished images on page 4)

SMKSoundPro
02-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Groover,

PM me if you want help refoaming the woofs. I just got done doing my 4411's with the 128 woofers. They came out just great. I cut the dome out, and melted the whole cone kit out of the frame/basket. The previous owner had them in his garage welding metal shop and the voice coil gap was filled with crap in the gap. I cleaned them out with lots of masking tape diggers, and reset them. Just as you would when reconing.

I would be glad to help if asked. My mom's in FBX and won't leave. Lisa and I go up about 6 times a year. Maybe we could meet at the pump house or GamberDella's and talk.

Scotty.