PDA

View Full Version : JBL "Bookshelf" Speakers Arrive! (4430)

markd51
02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I know, most you guys are probably laughing, me calling the 4430 "Bookshelf Speakers"!? lol

Some of you may remember a pair of 4430's that a fella named Tom Tatman, at Catamount Recording notified us all about a few weeks back (on his ebay auction). Well, I sprung, and bought the pair! To jog your memories, you might recall the pair that sported the custom Silver-Grey Grill Cloths? That's the ones.

The Speakers arrived safe, and sound, due to the extensive, and elaborate packing-crating job done by Tom, and as well a huge thanks to one of our own Forum members here, Shaan Sloan, as he very kindly helped me, by providing me a reputable shipper, at a more than reasonable, reduced cost.

The Speakers are absolutely magnificent, I feel I was very wise jumping on these, as I do believe one would search hard, and very hard to find such an unmolested pair. To look any newer, they would've had to been fresh out of the Factory Boxes.

I'm very sorry I cannot yet report on thier sound, but I will first chance I get. (lots of related gear, and a large Drum Set to move first)

My only saddening thoughts, are thinking of my beloved, four L-65 Jubals now becoming "Orphans", but having these in possession for literal decades (36 years), I could never part with my L-65's at any cost. Just too many fond memories, and love-care placed into them.

I feel I have now finally made "the big leagues", with these absolutely gorgeous Monitors. I must say, they are quite a "meaty" speaker! Nothing "timid" about these sitting here in the Living Room, they look to be "all business", and I have no doubt, these speakers are gonna blow my mind! Mark

02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Fantastic find. Once you have a chance to hear them, I would love to hear your opinion regarding the horn. Looks like an interesting design.

Please take pictures!

hjames
02-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Ah, you bought those gorgeous looking 4430s ! Congratulations ...
Please post pictures once you have them settled in - they really have a nice, stylish look to them!

Know what you are saying about your original speakers - I started with a pair of L36 decades I bought new in 1976 ... kept them all this time, but - once I wound up with 2 pairs of large JBL speakers (4341s and L200s) both with 15 inch woofers and horns, I never seemed to play the L36s anymore ... finally sold them to a member here about a year or so back ...
he had multiple pairs of L36s, so they went to a good home.

These big speakers, they get inside your head and you can never go back afterwards!:applaud:

Yeah, I know, most you guys are probably laughing, me calling the 4430 "Bookshelf Speakers"!? lol

Some of you may remember a pair of 4430's that a fella named Tom Tatman, at Catamount Recording notified us all about a few weeks back (on his ebay auction). Well, I sprung, and bought the pair! To jog your memories, you might recall the pair that sported the custom Silver-Grey Grill Cloths? That's the ones.
Mark

Titanium Dome
02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Congratulations! Hope everything works to your satisfaction.

markd51
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, I fired them up this afternoon. My header describes all.

Nothing at all missing, they do everything they supposed to do, and nothing less.

In comparison, to my four L-65 Jubal Speakers, well, putting two 15's, against four 12's, the 4430 I think still takes the prize. Amazing though, just how close the two sound, and I feel that is a testament to just how good some lesser JBL's are, like the L-65.

There's that undeniable "house sound", that the quad of Jubals do sound fantastic. There is nothing really missing with the Jubal, but with the 4430, I've noted some slight differences, and I will say that the 4430 sounds more seamless, seems better integrated, sounds more effortless, the 15's (2235) handle anything thrown at them, with clean, pure, accurate reproduction. The Horns in the 4430 seems to have a much easier job, than the LE-5-5 Mids do, and the 4430 seems smooth, not raspy, or harsh.

The 4430 actually sound like a more efficient speaker as well, needing even less power to drive, and this to me spells a big plus, that one might automatically assume that the 4430 needs big Amps to drive. IMO not so.

As most of you gents know, Macs, and JBL are a virtual "match made in heaven", and no different here, my Mac Amp drives the 4430 louder than I could ever take in a house enviornment. At 18-20 on my MX-130 Digital readout I could wake the dead.

These speakers are really something, and I can peobably write paragraphs about them. As some have claimed, that the 4430 is a "lean" speaker, I have to disagree. I would say it is an accurate, uncolored speaker, that doesn't possess a bloated, boomy, false sound. It is clean, it is tight, it is authorative when the music calls for it, and portrays a realistic "picture" of how the sound is supposed to be.

The Horn seems to be able to handle anything thrown at it, without the slightest bit of strain, or congestion.

The bass even though it was four 12's against two 15's. the 15's seems to also handle everything smoothly, effortlessly and accurately.

You folks certainly won't have to tell me "that I told you so", as I knew this about JBL Speakers many many moons ago.

I've heard many megabuck speakers in my day, and I will refrain from singling any out, in respect to others, but IMO, one will NEVER find a speaker, for such little money that will equal, or surpass these speakers.

I've made it folks! I am in the big league! Thank you all, for "admitting" me into this prized circle! Mark

markd51
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
After some more listening, and throwing in the towel for the evening so to speak, I must say these speakers are ridiculous, and insane! ;-)

In a fair comparo, the L-65 Jubal was perhaps designed, and better suited for a smaller, medium sized room, maybe 12'x15'. The 4430 clearly is designed for a larger acoustical envoirnment. The authority, slam, and SPL Levels these speakers can provide, are something else.

I'm not sure about sound treatments, but one will surely find shortcomings in a listening space, with anything that isn't bolted, nailed, or glued down!

First on, earlier was ELP Tarkus, that was the first music I pumped through these, then ELP Trilogy (Both Mo-Fi Discs). Then onto some jazz, Brubeck, some Buddy Rich, then onto Zep, M. Jackson, Madonna, and some Stanley Clarke to hear what those 2235's can do.

Wowed is an understatement.I was probably pumping no more that 20-25 watts through them, but that was all I could take, and not having the Police banging down the door as well.

SPL's are something this speaker has no problem handling, as all four of my Jubals probably cannot equal these, but I do as well understand that SPLs don't alone make a quality speaker, with phenominal sonics.

Sure I have many regrets. Regrets, that I didn't buy something like these 20-30 years ago!

I think I'm going to have to change my User name, and Avatar. Any suggestions!? :-)

I might have a problem posting pics, for others to see. problem is, I have superb audio gear, but am still on the lowly web-tv, and yeah, I know, buy a computer dude! hee hee. Mark

JeffW
02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
That's a great account! I love hearing stories like this.

I'm glad those beauties could go to someone who obviously will appreciate them.

Titanium Dome
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Mark

Why not keep your current user name and just change your byline to "JBL 4430 Fanatic"? I think everyone will get it, :D especially if you change the avatar.

metabaron
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi Mark,

my congratulations to your 4430's. They are a dream for many fans, your dream seems to be fulfilled :applaud:

Here in "old Europe" 4430's offered very rare, so I will d.y.s. an "near-clone" with comparable units. Place yours very carefully to one optimum listening place, so they will fit also in not so large rooms. My listening room is small under the roof. Thank you for your kind reports, this confirm me to build them.

PS. Your music examples fits well with my favourites. :)

JSF13
02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Congrats. from me also.As a fellow 4430 owner and enthusiast, I know exactly how you feel. I must say yours are one of the nicest looking I have seen.:applaud:

subwoof
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
T Minus 3 hours until my daughter returns from college with my refoamed 2234's. A few of her friends will hear what they have been missing listening to Ipods..:)

And the ELP CD "Works Vol 1" / pirates awaits the test.

Cabinet refinishing and network / aquaplas will have to wait.

Having owned and enjoyed 4430's before ( crown PS400 ) it's going to be Deja Vu all over again with these being run off a crown Macro reference.

sub

4313B
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
As some have claimed, that the 4430 is a "lean" speaker, I have to disagree.Yeah, well, you can count on the Internet to give unwarranted publishing power to anyone with connectivity.

Congratulations on your acquisition. :yes:

hjames
02-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I might have a problem posting pics, for others to see.
problem is, I have superb audio gear, but am still on the lowly web-tv, and yeah,
I know, buy a computer dude! hee hee. Mark

Okay, I snagged the text from the original ebay before it scrolls off to ebay netherworld,
as well as 5 pix from the ad ...(the MAX I can put in a post here)

I've got to say, those cabinets look GORGEOUS!
You REALLY scored here!!

============== Original eBay ad copy ================

These JBL monitors have seen very little use. They sound great and are in beautiful cosmetic condition. Unlike many 4430s, they have never been hammered to death at 120db to impress rock bands in a recording studio. They’ve lived in an advertising agency’s client conference room since they were new in 1986. The grille cloth is a visually striking, custom silver-gray, probably to match the ad agency’s decor. There is a small spot on the right horn that is a bit shinier than the rest of the horn, and a tiny scuff at the same place on the left horn. All components are original. These are highly respected speakers for home stereo / home theater, or as main monitors in a recording studio. We recently had the foam speaker surrounds professionally replaced by Orange County Speaker Repair.

(Shipping details removed)

From the Lansing Heritage Website: “The 4430 Bi-Radial Studio Monitors were amongst the most successful professional loudspeakers ever produced by JBL. They were in production longer than any other JBL main studio monitor, being introduced in 1981 and not discontinued until 1999.”

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 16kHz +/- 3dB
Maximum Continuous Program Power: 300 Watts
Maximum Continuous Sound Pressure Level: 119dB
Crossover Frequency 1kHz
Dimensions: 35” x 22” x 15” Deep (19” Deep w/Horn)
Finish: Oiled Walnut
Shipping Weight: 175 lbs.

Titanium Dome
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I wonder what the ad agency replaced them with? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.

I can't believe no one there wanted to take them home. Sheesh!

rdgrimes
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Ah, so this is where that pair of 4430 went. I was sorely tempted cause I know the guys that sold them. Nice to know they are in the Land Of Enchantment.

markd51
02-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Yep, Those are my babies!
Doubtful there's many of these in the Land of Enchantment, but I believe our own good forum member here, Shaan Sloan, who lives about 200 miles north of me, up in Albuquerque, is amassing quite a collection of JBL, that maybe one day, he'll be able to open a business called "The JBL Store"! :-)

Shaan has known I've been wishing to take the jump into the "Pro Arena" for some months now, and had contemplated monitors such as the 4331, 4333, 4343, or maybe even something like the 4350.

Never thought-imagined it would be the 4430 pictured here, but looking back, I reckon it was destiny, that these would be mine, and I must say that I am completely 100% satisfied with this purchase!

For thier size, thier driver consist, and especially for thier price, I cannot imagine a speaker sounding, or looking better than these. Would it be correct to call these a "sleeper" speaker"?

I'm have one very small obstacle to overcome, and that is trying to find a way to cover-protect them when not in use? I commonly covered my paired stack of four L-65 Jubals with large translucent Garbage Bags to keep dust-dirt off (Dust is a big headache here in southern NM with our periodic windy dust storms), but at the moment cannot find a Bag that will fit over the larger 4430? Most bags I've acquired-have on hand, have a width of 38", and they are just slightly not wide enough to slip over the 4430.

There's a company in town (Fastenal) which carries bags of various sorts-sizes, carries a 43" wide Bag which might fit?, but it means buying a whole box of them. I'll probably have to spring for this "lifetime supply", as these speakers aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!

The Silver-Grey Grill Cloths were expertly executed, are flawless, and look just too pretty to take off, but I will order the correct Blue Grill Cloth from Zilch to have on hand, perhaps worried that at some point in future time, this material may not be able to be gotten.

I'll will try my best soon, to get some personal pics to Heather, so they can be posted here, seen in thier final resting place, in all thier glory. Thanks again all very much for your comments, and vote of confidence. I am very fortunate to have these awesome speakers! Mark

4313B
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Would it be correct to call these a "sleeper" speaker"?Not in my opinion, no.

If you haven't already seen this you might find it interesting.

4430/35 (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/4430-35.htm)

Note that the company mentioned in David's first paragraph is where D.B. Keele and Richard Small (of Thiele/Small fame) ended up.

I posted the AES paper David mentions here: Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7852)

There's actually some good stuff presented by some really good people to be found on this website. :yes:

rdgrimes
02-07-2009, 07:18 AM
There's a company in town (Fastenal) which carries bags of various sorts-sizes, carries a 43" wide Bag which might fit?, but it means buying a whole box of them. I'll probably have to spring for this "lifetime supply", as these speakers aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!

The Silver-Grey Grill Cloths were expertly executed, are flawless, and look just too pretty to take off, but I will order the correct Blue Grill Cloth from Zilch to have on hand, perhaps worried that at some point in future time, this material may not be able to be gotten.

Covers are always a mixed bag. (pun intended). The real enemy is UV, not dust. But installing and removing a cover frequently can impart as much "wear" as doing nothing. Consider sewing up a simple cloth bag, although cloth is generally not UV-blocking.

markd51
02-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Not in my opinion, no.

If you haven't already seen this you might find it interesting.

4430/35 (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/4430-35.htm)

Note that the company mentioned in David's first paragraph is where D.B. Keele and Richard Small (of Thiele/Small fame) ended up.

I posted the AES paper David mentions here: Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7852)

There's actually some good stuff presented by some really good people to be found on this website. :yes:

Hello 4313B,
Perhaps what I meant to say, and was perhaps one of my "false initial beliefs" as well, that I somehow "mistakenly thought" that the 4430, or 4435 for that matter would not somehow be the equal of earlier 43xx series designs.

I guess this false assumption (by me anyway) might have been due to the fact that there isn't a plethora of various multiple drivers-diffraction lenses aiming at you in all thier beautiful glory, (meaning that more may not necessarily mean better) nor did the 4400 seres have that mezmerizing, gorgeous "JBL Blue Front Baffle", which sort of screams at you, that "I'm not some lesser Home Speaker, but the real deal Pro version"!

How I now find, that these earlier "preconceptions" of mine, and any thoughts-worries-doubts, that the 4400 series was not a world class monitor, worthy of the "JBL" name on the front, has been totally laid to rest! :-)

Thanks mucho for the link. I have read through this about 30 times within the past few weeks, and will probably read it 30 more times in the near future. One perhaps doesn't quite fully understand the significance, sophistication, and truth in these articles, until one sees, and listens! Mark

4313B
02-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Well there are 43xx and 44xx camps out there for sure. Some folks will swear by one Series and other folks will swear by the other Series.

Having lived through them all I have to admit that I like them all, warts and all. I had plenty of opportunities to compare both Series directly with each other. The thing I remember most is that it was all fun.

Titanium Dome
02-07-2009, 09:11 AM
There are various "slip covers" that can be used for your purposes. Several companies make pro versions, but any man or woman with a measuring tape and sewing machine can make a custom set in no time. That way you can choose the fabric and color combination you want and save about 2/3 the cost.

grumpy
02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I was going to suggest http://www.d2fcovers.com/ , as I've used them
before (musical instrument cabinet), but the protruding horn is going to
make a slipcover less simple... still very doable, and could be professionally
done (and looking), but certainly more costly than garbage bags.

Back/sides/top would be flat and cover their entire respective areas
and permanently attached together.

Front could be a slice of of a cylinder (sideways axis) to cover horn,
then something resembling a dutch door below for the grille area...
velcro for closures.

Nice speakers/worth protecting.

BMWCCA
02-08-2009, 07:25 AM
The thing I remember most is that it was all fun.
Nicely put. :applaud:

hjames
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
And doesn't this look like fun??

(Just got these snapshots from Mark) ...

markd51
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Thank you so much for posting these for me Heather!
From the pics, one can most likely see, I need a bigger room/house! If I could only extend my back wall another 20 feet! Too many toys I'm afraid! :-)

From the top row, (L-R) TEAC 3340S, Customized VPI HW-19 MK-IV Table, AQ PT-9 Arm, ZYX Airy 3X Cartridge, TEAC A2340R.

Second Row, CAL Delta Transport /Alpha DAC Combo, Sutherland PhD Phono Stage, VPI SDS,

Third Row, McIntosh MC-2105, McIntosh MX-130, McIntosh MC2105,

Bottom Row CAL Delta/Sigma II, Furman Voltage Regulator/Conditioner.

Out front to compliment the pair of JBL 4430's, is a Sunfire True Sub Mk-IV.
Mark

JeffW
02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
That's some gear! :applaud:

rdgrimes
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Thank you so much for posting these for me Heather!
From the pics, one can most likely see, I need a bigger room/house! If I could only extend my back wall another 20 feet! Too many toys I'm afraid! :-)

From the top row, (L-R) TEAC 3340S, Customized VPI HW-19 MK-IV Table, AQ PT-9 Arm, ZYX Airy 3X Cartridge, TEAC A2340R.

Second Row, CAL Delta Transport /Alpha DAC Combo, Sutherland PhD Phono Stage, VPI SDS,

Third Row, McIntosh MC-2105, McIntosh MX-130, McIntosh MC2105,

Bottom Row CAL Delta/Sigma II, Furman Voltage Regulator/Conditioner.

Out front to compliment the pair of JBL 4430's, is a Sunfire True Sub Mk-IV.
Mark
Those 4430s found a good home. :dj-party:

Titanium Dome
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
That drum set looks pretty close. Do you play along with the music?

Wornears
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Next time we go cross-countryto visit friends in Las Cruces, NM we're stopping by your house! Fun set-up.

markd51
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
That drum set looks pretty close. Do you play along with the music?

Yes, the Drumset is not exactly where I'd like having it.
The Audio System, these speakers, and the drumset deserve a much bigger room.

Yes, on occasion I'll play along to some music to practice certain things. Mark

markd51
02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Next time we go cross-countryto visit friends in Las Cruces, NM we're stopping by your house! Fun set-up.

Sure, by all means, you are more than welcome to stop by!

I'm beginning to believe that my Mac Amps are nearing the end of thier lives. I wonder how much longer they'll go? I'd love a new Amp, and if money was no object, I'd probably spring for a pair of Mac MC-501 Monoblocks. That, or maybe a MC-602, or MC-402 Amp.

Not that I really need all that power! The big boy Mac Amps would certainly never break a sweat with the 4430, as I do find them to be very efficient speakers.

Tough to really ever part with the MC-2105 Amps though.
Perhaps one day, I'll send them off, one at a time to somebody like Terry Dewick, and have them gone through.
Mark