PDA

View Full Version : The 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century ?

Krunchy
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Now that is quite the claim :bouncy: :dont-know

An interesting selection on a vast body of music to choose from. It certainly cover a wide spectrum of musical styles & genres. Any list that has the Ramones' I wann be sedated, Benny Goodman's "sing, sing, sing" along with Apalachian Spring in it cant be all that bad.
Some of it is pretty interesting (and informative) at times.

:applaud: Enjoy! (some of it :D)

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/list100.html

SEAWOLF97
01-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Now that is quite the claim :bouncy: but I think the list is pretty much on the money.l (http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/list100.html)

lot of good tunage there , agree on many of them , but how could they possibly leave off
"Inna a Godda da Vida" ??? :blink:

"Oye Como Va" ?? I wud have made it the entire Abraxas.

"Stand By Your Man" ???

"Theme from Shaft" ??

"Born to Run" ... guess I'm just OD'ed on Brucie

Allanvh5150
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
As a professional musician for more years than I care to remember, looking at that list makes me rather sad. Purple Haze? Amongst others. Where is all the ground breaking stuff? :(

Krunchy
01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
lot of good tunage there , agree on many of them , but how could they possibly leave off
"Inna a Godda da Vida" ??? :blink:

"Oye Como Va" ?? I wud have made it the entire Abraxas.

"Stand By Your Man" ??? :D :rotfl:

"Theme from Shaft" ??

"Born to Run" ... guess I'm just OD'ed on Brucie

"Theme from Shaft" ?? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I saw that too!

Agreed (edited original post), some of this stuff is way off, who says those guys at NPR are'nt smoking some of the good stuff.
Not a big Bruce guy myself but some people really love this guy.

As a professional musician for more years than I care to remember, looking at that list makes me rather sad. Purple Haze? Amongst others. Where is all the ground breaking stuff? :(

I was mainly interested on some of the jazz stuff but even there glaring omissions ocurr, No Satchmo?!
& you have nirvana making the list as well (they're not bad but top 100?!) :blink:

Well at least we can get a good laugh out of it :applaud: :D

JBLRaiser
01-29-2009, 06:06 AM
"Theme from Shaft" ?? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I saw that too!

Agreed (edited original post), some of this stuff is way off, who says those guys at NPR are'nt smoking some of the good stuff.
Not a big Bruce guy myself but some people really love this guy.

I was mainly interested on some of the jazz stuff but even there glaring omissions ocurr, No Satchmo?!
& you have nirvana making the list as well (they're not bad but top 100?!) :blink:

Well at least we can get a good laugh out of it :applaud: :D

OLIVER (1928); as performed by LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS HOT FIVE

HELLO DOLLY (tune), words/music JERRY HERMAN; as performed by LOUIS ARMSTRONG (1964)

Krunchy
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Ahh!!! Thats much better :) how did I miss that?

oznob
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
From a musician point of view, how could they leave out

Music From Big Pink by The Band?

ratitifb
01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
the complete works of Frank Zappa, mainly from the 80s :p

01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
"Like a Rolling Stone" should of been on that list, unless I missed it. That song alone changed the music industry forever.

JBLRaiser
01-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Now that is quite the claim :bouncy: :dont-know

An interesting selection on a vast body of music to choose from. It certainly cover a wide spectrum of musical styles & genres. Any list that has the Ramones' I wann be sedated, Benny Goodman's "sing, sing, sing" along with Apalachian Spring in it cant be all that bad.
Some of it is pretty interesting (and informative) at times.

:applaud: Enjoy! (some of it :D)

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/list100.html

Beach Boy's 'Pet Sounds" influenced the Beatle's 'Sgt. Peppers'

That doesn't qualify?