PDA

View Full Version : Not again! What's a good reasonably priced CD player?

BMWCCA
01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Sorry. Every thread I look up using "search" seems to degenerate into a discussion of vinyl vs. CD, or worse.

OK, I'm cash poor having overspent on a recent purchase, but I'd like to upgrade my primary source. I currently have a Sony 5-disc CD-DVD changer that's several years old. DVD-NVD 655 progressive scan something-or-other. An even older single-play Sony CDP-991 I like a lot that was probably near TOTL a decade (or more) ago. And a H-K DVD22 I picked up cheap ($60) from the tent-sale because Harman praised if for it's audio quality: "Audiophile-grade 24-bit/192 kHz audio digital-to-analog converters ensure the highest possible fidelity and resolution, and the player uses premium-quality internal components in the audio signal path.". I'd like to do better, if I can.

There's lots of talk about the Oppo DV-980H mostly praising its DA converters and overall quality expecially for two-channel listening. Current price on the Oppo seems to be around $169 to my door. I can't tell if that comes with a remote, or not. In and around this price range is there something else I should be looking at, say in the up-to $250 range? I don't much care if it even has DVD capabilities though that seems hard to avoid these days. Therefore having the most-current D-TV technology is also unimportant with respect to this use.

Yeah, I know I could ask this question on AK, but . . . well, you know. I trust you guys and gals. I recall Heather, T-dome, and at least some others went with the next Oppo up, the DV-981HD which supposedly has better video at the sacrifice of some audio quality. Anyone have have experience with the 980H, or others in the "quality bottom-feeder" range? Preferably something that does not rely on a TV for its menu.

Thanks.

SEAWOLF97
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I read a comment somewhere ( Stereophile ? ) that the Oppos were a lot of "bang for the buck" , but really dont test out that well.

The Sony ES (elevated standard) line has always been good for me...MUCH different than their non-ES gear. I have a single disker and 2 five diskers, and dont think I'd sell them, but my NADs ...yuk, CL bait.

Did you cut off your kids or thin out the bimmer inventory to afford those beasts ?

jbl_daddy
01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I have purchased two Sony ES units over the years. In the early 90's I purchased a CDP-C79ES, sounds excelent. There are some problems with mine: no copper bottom, no coax digital out, remote sucks.

CD / DVD player number 2 is a DVP-S9000ES, great unit. I have nothing bad to say about it, has coax and fiber out, 6 channel audio out, copper case construction, and even plays DVD's with a scaler. I have seen the price of these units range from 150 - 350 on ebay. Cheep My dad has a DVP-S900ES and he is very happy with his also. It ia a cheeper unit, the buttons are not as nice as the 9000.:)

I purchased both units new from HiFI Buys and have never been serviced.

Krunchy
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Last time I opened this can of worms I got a lot of great suggestions but wound up scoring an adcom GCD-750 from Mr.Widget (thank you Sir!). I already had one so when he offered it to me I knew what I was getting into. Its a great player and it has XLR's which will come in handy once you get your Meyer CP 10 hooked up to the Ashly :D

Have not followed them lately but you may be able to score one in the $300-500 range, I know its a bit more than you wanted to spend but it really is a great unit, straight forward, no bs (single platter), just the way I like em.

Have fun :)

(pictures not of my unit)
http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1231443354.jpg

http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1231443355.jpg

BMWCCA
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Its a great player and it has XLR's which will come in handy once you get your Meyer CP 10 hooked up to the Ashly :DNot much chance of that now! ;) I'll have to settle for the Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ 44 which works darn well. Probably only under a grand eighteen-years ago, but it'll have to do.

I'll check out the Adcoms. I have a good friend who swears by them.

And I'll see if Sony still makes an ES series player these days, business being as bad as it is!

Titanium Dome
01-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I've got both the Oppo 980 and 981. They clearly are two different players. I use the 980 in my music-only surround system and the 981 in my HT.

As far as the 980 goes, it has a very nice sound and it works well in both surround and stereo modes. It is great bang for the buck, but sometimes that's not very hearty praise. In this case, it REALLY bangs for the buck, and I don't think there's a player under $400 that's as good in the sound department.

Now, I'm only talking audio. There are sub-$400 players that can match or beat its video (by a little), so if video is important, that's a consideration. Its video is very good, but it can be beat. I don't use it for video, so it's a nonissue.

BMWCCA
01-29-2009, 07:22 AM
As far as the 980 goes, it has a very nice sound and it works well in both surround and stereo modes. It is great bang for the buck, but sometimes that's not very hearty praise. In this case, it REALLY bangs for the buck, and I don't think there's a player under $400 that's as good in the sound department.That's what I was looking for. Not that the sound-quality from the H-K DVD22 isn't good. In fact, both the H-K and the Oppo 980 boast the same "audiophile" A-D converters, though the Oppo can do SACD and USB. Seems Adcom discontinued all CD-only players, and Sony's ES line start in the $1500 range. I'm a little leery of buying-used on stuff like this, and good Adcoms seem to be hitting $450 or better on Audiogon.

Mr. Widget
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
That's what I was looking for. Not that the sound-quality from the H-K DVD22 isn't good.I own and use the Sony DVP-S9000ES that daddy mentioned and used to own the Adcom that Krunchy mentioned... I have not heard the HK-DVD22, but while I am sure it sounds different from these other players, I doubt it sounds unequivocally worse. Both the Adcom and the Sony cost around $1200 ea. when new and they both sound fine. I don't think they sounded significantly better than the $400 CD player that they replaced. For music playback, I'd stick with any competent player with digital outs and run it through a really good DAC. Doing so isn't inexpensive but it does sound better... even then, maybe not better enough considering the expense. Now if you want to talk about vinyl... :rotfl:

Widget

richluvsound
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I just got this DVD player. The sound is wonderful for music . Full and warm!

Sony is struggling here in the UK. There are some great deals around . I picked this up for £ 165 . Maybe try one out and see what you think.

I have heard some pretty wonderful CD players and for the price :applaud:

Basically , IMHO you would need to spend atleast 10 times that to get a better sound .

Rich

Mr. Widget
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Basically , IMHO you would need to spend atleast 10 times that to get a better sound .That was basically my point. While all of these players do sound different and some are real dogs, among the decent players, you have to spend gobs to really get to an elevated plateau.

Widget

JBL 4645
01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I use the Pioneer DV-525 and Cello DR-810 for CD stereo/Dolby stereo listening. The Pioneer CLD-1750 laserdisc is okay for laserdisc the CD is bit out of alignment and needs tending to, otherwise the CLD-1750 is smart CD for non-sync.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/Furgusonvideostar1.jpg

JBL 4645
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I just got this DVD player. The sound is wonderful for music . Full and warm!

Sony is struggling here in the UK. There are some great deals around . I picked this up for £ 165 . Maybe try one out and see what you think.

I have heard some pretty wonderful CD players and for the price :applaud:

Basically , IMHO you would need to spend atleast 10 times that to get a better sound .

Rich

I think you’re not too far away from Richer Sounds and the prices are cheap as biscuits. Also several PA stores around London like Turnkey.;)

hjames
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I think you’re not too far away from Richer Sounds and the prices are cheap as biscuits. Also several PA stores around London like Turnkey.;)

Remember -
Phil in Virginia will not being buying from London or UK based stores -
please, keep it on topic!

stephane RAME
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I love Sony, as I drive the CDP-3000 and D / A un GXD8 GENEX, all purchased on eBay.
Really a very good sound.
Stéphane

SEAWOLF97
01-29-2009, 04:37 PM
the Sony cost around $1200 ea.

Sony's ES line start in the $1500 range.

geeze, I've got like $325 in the 3 of them ...1 new & 2 used, and although a little older, they sound wonderful ...:applaud:

so the Oppos are made in ______ ?

( I am boycotting products from the C country when possible.)

BMWCCA
01-31-2009, 01:24 PM
The Yamaha S1800 seems to be selling regularly for under $250 these days. It must be missing something those HT people need. Audio specs look pretty good to me. They use those magic words "Burr-Brown" and it's also SACD for when I start seeing those showing up at the local thrift shop. Cheapest I've seen it on-line is around $225 and I can buy in locally for $249.

Anyone heard one? I'm not sure the Oppo will be any improvement over the H-K DV22 I already have. Not that the Yamaha will be, either. Seems the general consensus is there's not a lot of difference between the best units at this level. I'm not looking to spend money I don't need to, regardless of what some may think of my last purchase from this site! ;)

Mr. Widget
01-31-2009, 02:10 PM
I can buy in locally for $249. So why not take your HK player to the store with the Yamaha and compare them on the best system that they have there?

If you were going to buy a new BMW you would want to take a test drive, right?

Widget

BMWCCA
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
So why not take your HK player to the store with the Yamaha and compare them on the best system that they have there.Good idea! Better yet, the local store (Crutchfield) offers 30-day-money-back guaranty:
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. And, we will pay return shipping on most returns.I've heard their best (Thiel CS3.7) and was unimpressed. Much better to try it at home. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with the Yamaha.

;) I can't afford a new BMW. But I can borrow them for free quite often. Always enjoy getting back in my old ones, though. Only ever bought two new ones in 38 years—both motorcycles. Sold thousands of new BMW cars in 25-years of doing it as my job, though.

SEAWOLF97
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
As good as a $5K CD player ..

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5015

Mr. Widget
01-31-2009, 03:23 PM
As good as a $5K CD player ..

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5015:rotfl:

Must be one lame $5K player. ;)

Widget

BMWCCA
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
As good as a $5K CD player ...Every time I see a thread on the PS-1 I feel like running to Snopes to debunk it. It just has that aura of urban legend about it. But, though I don't doubt it, neither do I want my living-room system to look like some junk shop. ;)

Fred Sanford
01-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Not that I'm recommending one for you (I actually liked the Sony DVP-9000ES quite a bit, and I'm not sure what it is that you DON'T like about it...OK, so the eject button is irritating in a dark room.), but my Alesis ML-9600 has really come in handy for certain tasks, and sounds pretty good, too.

je

chilledspode
01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
You may want to try a NAD T585 - it is a very nice universal player and heavily discounted right now after the Blu ray decision.

They can be had for $499 from Saturday Audio and I believe they listed at over $1,000

Cheers

Mark

BMWCCA
01-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Not that I'm recommending one for you (I actually liked the Sony DVP-9000ES quite a bit, and I'm not sure what it is that you DON'T like about it...

You mean other than the fact that it's no longer made? I have an aversion to buying used stuff that has belts and transports. The only used one I've found says it doesn't play CD-R. And it's beyond my price ceiling. Ditto for the Alesis which, even discounted, is three-times my ceiling, new. It looks like a versatile unit but a bit beyond my needs and they're going for around $300 or better used. So not right now!

The NAD T585 looks like a fine unit. I looked at a lower-line NAD a few years ago. But both blow the whole idea of the "reasonbly" in the subject and the price range in the first post. But thanks. What would life be like without something to aspire to? :D

Fred Sanford
01-31-2009, 07:40 PM
You mean other than the fact that it's no longer made? I have an aversion to buying used stuff that has belts and transports. The only used one I've found says it doesn't play CD-R. And it's beyond my price ceiling. Ditto for the Alesis which, even discounted, is three-times my ceiling, new. It looks like a versatile unit but a bit beyond my needs and they're going for around $300 or better used. So not right now!

The NAD T585 looks like a fine unit. I looked at a lower-line NAD a few years ago. But both blow the whole idea of the "reasonbly" in the subject and the price range in the first post. But thanks. What would life be like without something to aspire to? :D

I've got a connection that sold NAD, let me know if you want me to research a price or get an opinion. He's given me good deals on last-year's leftovers a number of times.

I thought you HAD the Sony, and might re-purpose it as a CD player. I do remember something about it being finicky with CD-Rs, though.

je

SEAWOLF97
01-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Every time I see a thread on the PS-1 I feel like running to Snopes to debunk it. ;)

I'm a little confused .

Are you saying that you have extensive experience with the playstation and the good player statements aren't true ?

OR

you want to debunk it , as you believe such a thing just isn't possible ?

asking, because I've never tried it, do have one and will give it a go when the controller comes out of hiding.

BMWCCA
01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
. . . asking, because I've never tried it, do have one and will give it a go when the controller comes out of hiding.I have no experience. Back then I wouldn't let my kids have video games. We started with PS-2. All I'm saying is it has the feel of an urban legend but I've seen it repeated so often and with such fervent advocacy to afford it at least some cred. :dont-know (my favorite emoticon here)

Mr. Widget
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
I bought one.

I sold it a few weeks for about what I paid for it. Certainly not the worst audio investment I ever made.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Its in the mid 40's today and sunny, so I went for the 10 mile bike loop...in one of the thrifts I found a Playstation controller, and had given up on finding ours...so gambled a buck to see how valid all the opinions on this as a CD player really are.

Despite W's dismissal of it as a CD player , I was impressed. Lots of detail and sonically very smooth ...experienced NO dropouts, lots of dynamic range.

Downside: yup the interface is clunky ...yup, dont know if I want it out in the LR attached to the main system, unless I can hide it in the cabinet somewhere.

BUT...I will verify that it sounded great to me. Have never heard a $5K deck so I cant compare, but it sounded as good as my ES deck. :D

mine is the 1001 model.

JBL 4645
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
How does one go about checking that the dynamic range is punchy? Connect it up to 31, band RTA and see the display light up across the full range depending on the frequency response of the mix?

Mr. Widget
02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
..I will verify that it sounded great to me. Have never heard a $5K deck so I cant compare, but it sounded as good as my ES deck. :DI don't disagree with your assessment. I think it sounds about the same as any decent player, that said, you can pick up some very good single disc players for sub $25 these days... no one wants them.

My issue with the Sony PS1 is that it is no better than any other inexpensive deck is a PITA to use and certainly isn't better sounding than the expensive decks as some seem to think. I basically said as much when I reviewed it on that thread about them.

Widget

BMWCCA
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
For anyone following this thread, here's the H-K DVD-22 in a refurb from Harman for only $40 (original MSRP $249):

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=DVD%2022-Z

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't disagree with your assessment. I think it sounds about the same as any decent player, that said, you can pick up some very good single disc players for sub $25 these days... no one wants them.

My issue with the Sony PS1 is that it is no better than any other inexpensive deck is a PITA to use and certainly isn't better sounding than the expensive decks as some seem to think. I basically said as much when I reviewed it on that thread about them.

Widget

I agree, W , and you made a good point. Single disk players are cheap, but 5 disk carousels are even cheaper. They take up real estate and who needs to load 5 disks. I got my 2 ES changers for under $20 total..the nice thing is that most Sony CD remotes are somewhat interchangeable.

If the PS1 is going to cost the same and sound the same, but with limited functionality, why bother ?

Phil :

you mite try here ...big clearance at Audioadvisor

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=125

SEAWOLF97
02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
After a lot of playing with the PS1, I'm starting to get dropouts...pulled it and went back to the good ole' solid ES player...I was a nice dream while it lasted..:)

jan_slagman
03-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello friends,

Lately I bought a used Yamaha CDX 396 CD-player on Dutch Market place for only € 35,00 (US$ 44,25) and compared to my Marantz CD 94/II connected to a Marantz CDA 94 DAC (together US$ 3.446,00 wayback in 1990) I couldn't (much to my surprise) hear any remarkable difference in sound.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

BMWCCA
03-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I was tempted by this Yamaha CD-DVD player, the DVD-S1800 which was on-sale at close to $200 and does SACD, WMA, MP3, and DVD-A. In the end I did nothing, determining that the HK-DV22 really worked very well in the L7 system, and the old Sony 5-disc DVD already in place where the 4345s went wasn't causing any problems I could hear. Maybe next year.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/022/p022DV1800-f-1.jpeg (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022DV1800/Yamaha-DVD-S1800.html?search=Yamaha+VENDORID022&searchdisplay=Yamaha&tp=170)

MikeBrewster77
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi B/Feeder,

I have a Denon DVD-1920 that I use for daily listening. Like the Yamaha it's a universal player (CD, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, etc.) I actually bought it specifically for listening and not viewing as it was prior to me buying a decent TV (still had a 25" CRT at the time :() and have always been impressed by the audio quality. Hate to say it, but it sounds better, to me at least, than the H/K it replaced ... the second one I should say (since the first one died within 18 months of purchase.)

Now that I have a decent TV I can attest that it's a nice video component as well.

I can't remember exactly what I paid and the receipt is locked up with all of the other audio documentation but I think it was in the ballpark of $500.

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I read this on audioreview about Sony ES players...do not know how valid ? comments ?

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sony/cd-players/cdp-x77es/PRD_117175_1586crx.aspx

I wish to discuss a little known fact which goes far to eplain the build quality and sound of this player. These "gold" ES players from the late 80's thru 1995 were essentially units designed and built for the home Japanese market. Their sound was voiced for Japanese preferences, i.e., harmony and tone rather than American high-end preferences, i.e., analytical detail often accompanied by tonal sterility. It's no accident that so much old McIntosh and Marantz tube gear has been exported to Japan.
In any case, because of the small volume of sales to the US, Sony simply took their domestic units, changed printing to english, adjusted the AC line voltage, and gave us the "gold" ES players. In direct comparison the the best domestic and English players, these ES players have an unmatched full tonal quality and "naturalness". Just like tube equipment, however, they lack the pin point detail of top end transistor equipment. So if you're an engineer conducting scientific measurements these units are not for you; but, if you're a music lover, who simply wants to experience the full emotional involvement with the music, these units are unsurpassed.
In addition, considering their build quality, at their current used prices, they must rank as one of the great buys of the music equipment world. And no, I'm not getting ready to sell my unit! I simply wish to share my opinion with other music lovers on a budget.

stephane RAME
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Sony CDP-3100 old cd player or Sony SCD-X501ES modern Sacd/cd player

Stéphane ;)

MyLittleViking
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I read this on audioreview about Sony ES players...do not know how valid ? comments ?

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sony/cd-players/cdp-x77es/PRD_117175_1586crx.aspx

I wish to discuss a little known fact which goes far to eplain the build quality and sound of this player. These "gold" ES players from the late 80's thru 1995 were essentially units designed and built for the home Japanese market. Their sound was voiced for Japanese preferences, i.e., harmony and tone rather than American high-end preferences, i.e., analytical detail often accompanied by tonal sterility. It's no accident that so much old McIntosh and Marantz tube gear has been exported to Japan.
In any case, because of the small volume of sales to the US, Sony simply took their domestic units, changed printing to english, adjusted the AC line voltage, and gave us the "gold" ES players. In direct comparison the the best domestic and English players, these ES players have an unmatched full tonal quality and "naturalness". Just like tube equipment, however, they lack the pin point detail of top end transistor equipment. So if you're an engineer conducting scientific measurements these units are not for you; but, if you're a music lover, who simply wants to experience the full emotional involvement with the music, these units are unsurpassed.
In addition, considering their build quality, at their current used prices, they must rank as one of the great buys of the music equipment world. And no, I'm not getting ready to sell my unit! I simply wish to share my opinion with other music lovers on a budget.

Def. valid, but with some things that are questionable... They were designed by Japanese Engineers, but were certainly designed for this market. I currently own a Sony CDPC701ES and I can honestly say I have no desire for an upgrade... have heard Sony ES's SACD versions, a number of the Rotels, NAD, Adcom, Denon, Marantz etc. and I always stayed with this unit.

It does everything that it should and nothing that it shouldn't. The Sony CDPC79ES mentioned before was "nearly" as good, just a little quirky at times, the bugs are all worked out with the 701ES. The 801ES is better still... I require a 5-disk changer as I like to have the ability to let it run for hours without the single disk Sony's from this era should be comparable. Good Luck... PS<< I have a NAD 5060 for sale,, it works perfectly, shoot me an offer...

Ian Mackenzie
04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I was tempted by this Yamaha CD-DVD player, the DVD-S1800 which was on-sale at close to $200 and does SACD, WMA, MP3, and DVD-A. In the end I did nothing, determining that the HK-DV22 really worked very well in the L7 system, and the old Sony 5-disc DVD already in place where the 4345s went wasn't causing any problems I could hear. Maybe next year.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/022/p022DV1800-f-1.jpeg (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022DV1800/Yamaha-DVD-S1800.html?search=Yamaha+VENDORID022&searchdisplay=Yamaha&tp=170)

Assuming you have made no other decisions I think you are better off to wait.

I really dont see any point in buying old technology in the digital arena as the performance/quality of the most recent stuff is significantly better than the gear of even a few years ago and its getting less expensive.

In the link below there is reference to the new Cambridge Audio dac.

What you could do is buy a current budget universal player and evaluate the improvement of a specialist outboard dac like this one.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CADACMAGI

midlife
05-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Can a computer DVD/CD drive be used as a quality sound source? And if so does its sonic characteristics depend on the quality of the unit and/or should it be used with a DAC between it and the preamp? thanks

yggdrasil
05-31-2009, 03:19 AM
A computer DVD/CD player can be used as a source, when you use a DAC between the source and the pre-amp.

Beware that the computer player reacts differently to reading errors than an audio player. The computer player will reread until it gets it right, while the audio player moves on at constant speed.

SEAWOLF97
05-14-2011, 04:58 PM
out on a bike ride today and stopped in at Salvation Army....noticed a pristine Sony ES ....CDP-XA1ES calling to me...gathered it up and went looking for a CD & headphones.

did a little testing and it sure had great detail .... couldn't leave it there for the piddlence that they wanted for it , and I did need another single disker so as to pull the big 5 disk carousel.

wrapped it up in 4 large plastic bags and bungied it to the big rack ....got home 10 minutes b4 the rain started....it was a good find. :bouncy::bouncy: oh yeah, it was a Stereopile class D recommendation.

WOW..it sure drives the Senn HD-580's very well