PDA

View Full Version : C29AV-1 vs SB-210

01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Currently using the C29-1 to augment the bass response – would the SB-210 be worth purchasing as well for $539.99? I’ll be loosing some low end, but in return gain some SPL in terms of bass. It'll be for an average bedroom/home office, if that should help.

SB-210

Frequency Range : 42 Hz - 200 kHz (-10 dB)
Power Capacity : 800 W Continuous
Program Power: 4000 W Continuous Pink Noise
Nominal Sensitivity : 95 dB, 1 W @ 1 M in half space (2 in loading)
Frequency Response : 48 Hz - 120 Hz ( ± 3 dB)
Maximum SPL @ 1m : 122 dB (in half - space)
Nominal Impedance : 8 Ohms

C29AV-1

Frequency Range : 40 Hz –18 kHz (-10 dB)
Power Capacity : 300 W Continuous
Program Power : 150 ontinuous Pink Noise
Frequency Response : 45 Hz – 18 kHz ( ± 3 dB)
Maximum SPL @ 1m : Short-Term: 120 dB; Long-Term: 114 dB
Nominal Sensitivity : 90 dB (2.83V / 1m)

Please don't tell me it's not a real subwoofer. I’d had enough of that.

Slare
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I think you are not seeing replies because your question is sort of out there.

Right now you have a pair of Control 28's with an AV-29 for extra bass. That to begin with is a bit of an odd arrangement. To come in and ask about adding a SB-210 (!!) for more bass really adds another level of oddity to the system.

The problem is not so much with any of your components, but rather considering balancing a system and having some idea what you want out of it. Yes, you could add a SB-210 and yes it would add bass response (lots) but for the money you have in at that point the entire system is now wildly out of balance and very expensive to boot.

I'll try to be more specific:

Proposal 1 (Current): Let's assume 1 pair of control 28's with a SB-210. 28's run about $150-200. SB-210 runs $500. Control 28's are happy enough with common amp power (75-100rms) but the SB-210 needs serious power... meaning you'll need another heavy duty standalone amplifier with some 200-300 rms x 2 costing at least $300-400. The AV29 becomes useless as it will not blend with the 28's, even as a center channel.

Result: $1,000 or so in speakers and amp. Control 28's providing fairly low quality (for such an expensive system) top end and very high bass output capability. Lots of money potentially wasted on outdoor capable speakers and a very imbalanced end result. So, I think this is a very poor allocation of money and not such a good final system. If you really need rugged speakers this amount of money could get you a pair of Eon 15's which would be in another league for portability, volume output, and simplicity.

Proposal 2 (My suggestion): Obtain another AV29 and use them for stereo fronts. Keep the 28's to use in a 2nd room or for surrounds. Spend ~$300 on a self-amplified 12" or 15" subwoofer like the JBL 8400 or any other number of choices - or if you are a real basshead you could get a 18" JBL Pro sub and a standalone amp and still be better off than option 1 for cost and performance. AV29's will scream.

Result: $600 system (less if you sell the 28's) that has the AV29's handling the top end (much more powerful than the 28's) and a well balanced subwoofer filling out the bottom end and not requiring you to add more amps. This 2.1 stereo setup will play deep, clean, and loudly enough for most any room.

Proposal 3 (Budget solution): If you are happy with the 28's, sell the AV29 and buy a modest 10" or 12" self powered subwoofer in the $200-300 range.

Result: Budget $300-400 system that is well balanced and needs no extra amps.

--------
My point is $1,000 is a decent budget to work with to setup a 2.1 system with front speakers and a sub. It makes little sense to pair $600 worth of subwoofer with a pair of 28's, and it makes little sense to use a SB-210 in a home application.

Hope this helps.

02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Proposal 2 (My suggestion): Obtain another AV29 and use them for stereo fronts. Keep the 28's to use in a 2nd room or for surrounds. Spend ~$300 on a self-amplified 12" or 15" subwoofer like the JBL 8400 or any other number of choices - or if you are a real basshead you could get a 18" JBL Pro sub and a standalone amp and still be better off than option 1 for cost and performance. AV29's will scream.

That's a good suggestion. I was just 'putting the idea out there' with the SB-210. I might follow that option later on. Thanks for your detailed response.

I'll be honest when I say this system wasn't planned out. It just started with one Control 28 and eventually spread to what you see. I guess it all spawned from curiosity, and what works with what and what doesn't. Everything just spawned as a brainchild idea that wasn't planned out. Looking back at everything, everything was purchased in separate pieces, including the Control 28 which is normally sold in pairs. Whether or not it was cost beneficial really lies to the listener.