PDA

View Full Version : is this a good buy

dj jason
01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Two theatre speakers (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1003603900.html)

hjames
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

For home use?? only you can decide that ...
if they are in good shape - but, it IS old technology and may be worn, aged, need rebuild of the drivers and crossovers, etc ...
but it looks cheap enough to play around with,

Paul D
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I would certainly think so!
As long as the woofers are original (search this site for model #). You will need to find another horn & driver though. I would offer less to see if he goes for it.

Nice find:applaud:

dj jason
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
if the guy still has them i am going to use them for home use . i have a friend that has a ton of altec horns so getting one from him should be easy . he told me $50 a pair !!!!!! for the horns :)

Paul D
01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Go for it!!

Man, I need friends like that. Thats a good deal!:bouncy:

Let us know how it all works out.

dj jason
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
ok cool if everything works out i will post pics on here when i get them home :D

mech986
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Good Luck! Those look potentially very interesting and might be had for $50-100 less because of the lack of the 2nd horn/driver. Also, he probably wants them out of his house like NOW!

Remember to bring a good hand truck/dolly or furniture rollers so you don't hurt your back trying to lift or move these things. A couple of strong friends and a large van with a ramp would be great. A pickup is problematic because of the high liftover of the gate. But however you get them home, GOOD LUCK!!

Give them a good wipe down for all the dust and stuff before the pics.

BTW, what was your friend's name..:bouncy:?

Bart

dj jason
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
well he still has them and i am going to pick the up sat :bouncy::applaud::D:):nutz:

oh that friends name is mark

mech986
01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
If they are at a good price, might suggest going over and paying the price agreed so ownership passes over to you (make up a receipt and get it signed). That way you don't get it sold out from under you. I know, most people are honest and their integrity helps them to stick to the deal, but some don't.

Bart

dj jason
01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
i was looking at the pics harder and it looks like there is no driver in the bottom cab ????????? :(

mech986
01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Even with enhancement by photoshop, unable to tell to my eye. Only thing to do is call first thing in the AM and ask specifically what each cabinet has, driver wise.

You should get 2 woofers of Altec-Lansing manufacture but the woofer types could vary depending on what was loaded. The compression driver for the horn should also be Altec-Lansing as well as the horn.

If he can confirm there are two woofers, great. If he can't identify the woofer brands, not so great since they could have been substituted if they were blown up in the past. Subs like JBL's would be acceptable, other brands again not so much. Price without proper drivers would then be in play, IMHO.

Do some research here in our Library under Altec-Lansing and A7 systems. Would be good to print out pictures of the cabinets, drivers, and woofers so you know what they look like front cone and back to you get a real good idea what they are possibly without disassembly.

Otherwise, be sure to bring a cordless drill-driver with phillips and slotted driver bits so you can take off the access panel on the back of the cabinet to check the woofer and crossovers.

Of course, testing to be sure the drivers that are there work would be important. Since he says they work and sound good, I'll hazard a guess that the drivers are operational, just how many and what type is now the question.

Regards,

Bart

mech986
01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Here's some pics that are out there in another ad in Minn.

A distinguishing hall mark of most Altec woofers of that era is the center dust cover has a small mesh opening in the center cap.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1007668591.html

dj jason
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
ok i talked to the guy he told me both 15" drivers are in the cab :D

thanks for the pics .:applaud: